Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

About this whole 5.4 Beta...

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by jjejj87, Jul 17, 2016.

1. PeterB

PeterB

I was once a back end dev for a company where all releases were named after major disasters: Lusitania, Titanic, Hindenburg, Challenger... But, honestly, I don't think 5.4 is worse than 5.3 was at the same stage; if anything, it has less bugs. But still, the name of that stage certainly shouldn't include the letters R and C by any means.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  2. mdrotar

mdrotar

It has been almost 8 months since 5.3 was released and March 2017 is now less than 8 months away. For many perpetual pro license holders, 5.4 and its minor updates will be considered the last chance. Maybe 5.5 will be released just before March 2017 but without bug fixes and patches beyond that, sticking with 5.4 will be the safer bet.

PeterB likes this.
  3. PeterB

PeterB

As a perpetual license owner for desktop only since 2010, I wholly agree.

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

The fact that we have to choose "bad" to prevent "worse"....this makes me sad. I will really mad if they don't come up with a stable, feature ready build by then. While this is a totally different matter, if it did happen, I would be furious.

5. Riderfan

Riderfan

Just discovered today that canvas' are very seriously broken in this build too. I'm not sure how that was missed in the QA pass but I just don't know how this made it public.

6. Quast

Quast

You right. but it been long time. do we need one year to release this update ?
    Does 5.4 make big different from 5.3 ?

7. jjejj87

jjejj87

It shouldn't take a year, and it should be a build that makes a difference.

PeterB likes this.
  8. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

just downloaded the latest 5.4 beta version.... created a completely new empty project and I'm getting lots of ArgumentOutOfRangeExceptions every time I drag a window to change it's size for example the inspector.
    Can't imagine this one slipped through QA! That does not make a great first impression for new unity users....

edit: ok looks like the default layout didn't load properly.... errors are gone now!

9. Quast

Quast

I think, If we want a stable version we have to wait till 2017. :rolleyes:

10. orb

orb

You're right up to that point ;)

The only way to get stable software is by never upgrading.

11. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Not sure what to think with RC2 out, still lot of posts in the forum which worries one.. I think 5.3.6 is pretty stable, no issues personally!

Lets see what happens maybe final next week or final this week and patch build next as really time wise slipping.. Release 5.4 and then make list known issues and then start patch process!

PeterB likes this.
  12. elbows

elbows

Not sure I quite understand your point when it comes to modern shaders and filmic effects. The Cinematic Image Effects are great and the standard shader lives up to what was promised unless I've missed some detail.

13. jjejj87

jjejj87

I keep getting this feeling that by the time Unity5 stabilizes, they will announce Unity6 and off we go towards another buggy ride.

14. fffMalzbier

fffMalzbier

The will not be a unity 6 , they will not do any more mayor releases, they will continuity updates to add features as soon as they are ready.