Search Unity

1. The 2022.1 beta is now available for testing. To find out what's new, have a look at our 2022.1 beta blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

About this whole 5.4 Beta...

Discussion in '5.4 Beta' started by jjejj87, Jul 17, 2016.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Heh, forgot to add a "probably" in there somewhere ;)

Anyway, I don't have anything else to add to this thread. I don't mind either way.

2. theprotonfactor

theprotonfactor

Because it's pretty experimental and fit for purpose. Generally stuff like that is made for the demo but not battle tested for general purpose in all types of games. Unity labs have a stripped down beta of it available right now over here as elbows said, but we need the one from the demo to be able to light volumetric fog etc.
    I believe this is actually the plan. I recall that a Unity dev said as much of the Adam demo will be released as possible. Some of it relies on 3rd party assets like CaronteFX so they will likely remove that and rework stuff like with The Blacksmith assets. And they might wait for 5.4 to be released first.

Shushustorm likes this.
  3. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

Thank you for the hint that the area light thing is actually available! Very interesting!
    As I said, though, this was just an example of how things might work better.
    I'm glad UT realizes the usefulness of things like that.
    Also, yes, the cinematic image effects are awesome, too!

4. jjejj87

jjejj87

Bumping this question up because I really got to know. Can anyone from Unity provide further comments on this topic? I am assuming that not all 470 issues are software related (could be documentation) but to know there are 470 known issues for 5.4 is just...overwhelming.

5. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

It seems like a lot, but then you realize that there are nearly twice that many for 5.3, the current stable release. ;)

6. Ferazel

Ferazel

Yeah that's very likely. Also note, that those issuetracker bugs are only bugs that the submitter qualified as "allow this to be public" so I'd guess they have another 25%-50% more bugs that aren't public. I've worked on games that have shipped with a huge number of known bugs due to deadlines and other issues. Sometimes the realities of the project don't support the ideals.

7. jjejj87

jjejj87

What I don't get is that 5.4 never had a dead line, the release decision wasn't forced. And nor is this about generating money, we are all under subscription. It was decided by Unity that 470 known issues are stable enough....

Sigh...how did we even get to this in the first place?

I don't know if I should be impressed or not...this is so wrong.

8. Ferazel

Ferazel

There's also nothing "forcing" you to upgrade to what you consider to be an unacceptable number of bugs. However, Unity feels that it is reaching the point where the known issues are limited in scope where it is stable enough. The point where they feel a good chunk of its users are going to appreciate the known issues for the qty of bug fixes/features that have been implemented in this version. You can continue to wait for that ideal if you want and I'm sure it will be better later in the 5.4 cycle (5.4.5) if you want to upgrade then.

9. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I'm not so sure... 5.3.5 is not particularly amazing.

10. orb

orb

There are really 163 pages of issues for the 5.4 betas, but that's for all the different beta releases. So 47 pages of active bugs aren't all that bad!

Then again, they stretch as far back as November on that 47th page. Do active issues include things UT haven't looked at yet?

11. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

@jjejj87 - Ok, I'll bite.

It's diminishing returns to reach ideal state and the realities of shipping large software. Go search the bug lists on open source software, like linux, mozilla or otherwise that supposedly have no requirements to release on a schedule, and yet they still do. You can go look at their bug databases as they are fully open. For all the software on your computer, open source or not, I'm sure the bug lists are staggering if added up. You just don't happen to notice it.

So, I appreciate being held to a higher standard than everyone else, and I'd like to someday earn that respect. However, I'm also grounded in reality and trying to actually help customers ship games.

12. Player7

Player7

They can keep 5.4 in beta indefinitely for all I care, at least one thing Unity did in its decision making last year was allowing free users access to the beta's, at least the complete wreckage releases that were pre5.4 etc are avoided.. while the bugs I've encountered in 5.4 haven't been progress stoppers like some that I ran up into in previous 5.x release, it still has issues that I've just ignored and worked around. I think I've just come to expect Unity to be bug ridden and full weird issues where things don't work as expected and your time gets wasted , I seemed to have skipped over all the really bad 5.4b releases where they regressed on things.

Like exporting out 2 prefabs along with ALL the associated scripts.. only to find on importing into a new project, that while some of the connections to objects and scripts remained on the prefabs (the top level), most the deeper hierarchies were completely broken (whytf does unity not show full hierarchy of a prefab in the project window?), along with missing scripts (like fck providing an exporter that lists prefabs and the connected object/script names).. And a missing script is just asking for user error, I have accidentally put the wrong script back on a component that seemingly fit at the time without error, but caused more time loss later because of bugs it caused later on in playback.. you really don't make it easy unity.

I feel like why Unity, why can't you just do better, nothing can be relied upon, its like users need to make a custom exporter that just writes out a file list of all the prefabs along with associated connections and actual script path file names that are attached to components.. just incase unity doesn't do its sh\it properly on import, atleast I have a list of things I can look at to put it all back together again without needing to run another instance of unity and go through the originating project, because like to hell with making a decent exporter that actually works and perhaps gives warnings to possible issues that might happen on import.

The irony of this unity package exporter and missing script stuff without human readable filenames shown is that because it fails as much as it does, it means that actually separating out areas of a larger project that has bugs into a smaller project in order to send to your bug tracker, simply does not get done, its more of a waste time doing it knowing that I'm likely going to get even more broken stuff to fix putting the exported bits back together in a new project and cleaning the associated scripts so it doesn't need the rest of the project.

Anyway Unity is overdue for an update that brings in some useful features/tools and improvements on existing ones aswel as some actual editor improvements. 5.4 doesn't have alot worth talking about, no major improvements to any existing tools and features. 5.3 came with some fixes to ugui but nothing more than that, and the new features weren't much good for me anyway. Sure 5.4 has underhood improvements instancing, dx12 api http://unity3d.com/unity/beta but isn't anything helpful for the majority of unity users in terms of new features they can put to use. And these technical features are not exactly documented or pushed out with any examples.

So yeh I don't care if Unity wants to call 5.4 done or keep it in beta, its about as finished as any of the previous final releases have been with issues still to be encountered by more users. For me 5.5 is probably going to be the judgement call on staying or going with Unity. It will be interesting to see if its a release that actually builds on 5.4 underhood improvements or not. On a positive note the improved Line Renderer was about time, only just threw that out the project recently for having poor cornering, so at least that's one known thing 5.5 brings that might be worth using again.

PeterB likes this.
  13. elbows

elbows

I'm not going to pretend that 5.4 is crammed with new functionality but the stuff they have added under the hood such as motion vectors really does provide some nice new functionality when used with the Cinematic Image Effects (eg TAA).

14. mdrotar

mdrotar

Now, why is that?

MS Word has bugs, they get noticed, they are annoying. But worst case is I close and reopen it, and continue where I left off. The file I'm working on still ends up the way I need it in the end. I've never bothered to report a bug for Word.

I notice bugs in Visual Studio, but I've never had a bug so serious that it prevented or delayed shipping. Maybe not a totally fair comparison because Visual Studio is lower level than Unity, so it has less opportunity to really get in the way. I don't think I've ever bothered reporting a bug for Visual Studio either.

So maybe something like DevExpress components for application development is closer to what Unity does for games. And DevExpress does have it's share of major bugs, some which would've stopped or delayed shipping except for the fact that they provided the source code so we could fix the bug and carry on. Without source code, all we can do is beg, complain and generally raise a stink about bugs in hopes that Unity will raise the priority of the bugs affecting us.

15. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity provides source code as well. It's not free, but if it's that critical for you, then it's probably worth paying for. What bugs in Unity actively prevent you from shipping a game? You may have noticed that there are thousands of shipped Unity games, few of which had access to source code. If you encounter bugs then you work around them. e.g., years ago there was a bug with multi-dimensional arrays not compiling to working code when deployed on iOS, so I used a standard array with a bit of math to emulate multi-dimensional instead (which is actually faster anyway).

--Eric

16. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

I think for people who solely focus on 2D and mobile, the bugs may not be so bad and are easy to work around. For 3D and consoles though... things like "Enlighten doesn't work" or "SpeedTrees are all broken" are not easy to work around. Devs shouldn't have to buy the source code and replace core parts of the engine just to get working versions of features that are advertised as complete. I don't mind if there are a million bugs as long as they're what I'd classify as low-severity. But Enlighten and SpeedTree still not being usable is ridiculous.

17. mdrotar

mdrotar

I'm aware the source code for Unity is available for a significant fee. The point was, source code is included in the "regular" ~$1500 fee for DevExpress.

And I didn't say it was impossible to ship a game with Unity. The point was that working around bugs in Unity can take significant time and usually technical debt. And some bugs can't be worked around such as bugs that cause crashes on mobile devices - technically you could still ship if it's crashing on 5% of Android devices but it's not good for game reviews.

18. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

Source code availability is likely at least partially (if not wholly) influenced by the legal constraints Unity Technologies must work with, given the third party tech they've integrated with the core engine. I'm not saying it wouldn't be helpful for the larger developer community to have access, but I'd like to think UT isn't holding the source hostage just because they can.

Exposing the source code to various components is likely how UT is trying to work within said constraints while still giving some additional transparency to customers. For pieces they own completely, they have the flexibility to open up that code to the world.

19. Riderfan

Riderfan

Up front I'll say that what our group has for a game now simply wouldn't exist without the Unity engine. We could have gone with another engine that starts with U, but the final decision came down to two things - Unity announced GPU Instancing for 5.4 and Unity works in C#. So I have to acknowlege that first, we're here because this exists.

But...

For my group, the quote above is our feeling as well. And it generally points to what we see as Unity's priorities. From my chair, Unity is clearly focused first and foremost on mobile development as its cornerstone with VR being the new shiny thing. Which means that if a feature developers working on other platforms need, or a bug that needs fixing doesn't directly impact those two areas, it's considered a low priority.

For probably 95% of what we're doing, I've noticed very few show stopping bugs in our build (still on Beta 23). But it only takes 1 show stopper to stop the show. There are a few annoying things (ie, the animator window still doesn't remember its last positions and you need to resize it everytime you open it), but those don't stop us from making progress. We're not seeing any lighting problems, we're not seeing any skinned mesh glitches, or the like. The physics works as we need it to and our scenes are pretty low key in terms of shadows and lighting. So consider that a disclaimer that I'm writing this considering only the issues that is directly impacting this project - which make for a biast post.

What really does "grind my gears" (to steal from Family Guy) is a release candidate with acknowledged 'not fully implemented' features. That should never happen. I've been in the industry a long time. Worked for studios that are really really big, and some that are really really small. But in all cases an RC never has features that are not fully implemented. In fact, a product doesn't even get called Alpha until features are 'fully implemented'. (Alpha defined as being 'feature complete but with bugs').

Our show stopper is GPU Mesh Instancing not working. This is a technology that has existed on desktops and consoles for about 10 years now. It's not a new thing. My personal opinion is that it should have existed since 5.0 at least but nobody asked me. However this feature simply doesn't work yet. On another forum the official answer from Unity is that 'It's not fully implemented'. How is that possible? It's been announced as a core new feature for 5.4. The releases are now in the RC stage, and it's still not fully implemented?

This feature alone the reason we moved from 5.3 to 5.4. We can not ship with out it. We can not give public demo's without it. We can not release screen shots with out it. Does it impact mobile? Nope, MI has never existed on a mobile device as far as I know. Should it stop releases until it's finished and working as expected? Yes it should.

thanks

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    PeterB likes this.
  20. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

With mixed mode broken, with a lot of issues specific to forward gamma, with "baked gi" being easily the weakest point of enlighten, and with light probes being unusable if you included direct light in them (until recently), I really don't know how people can say that.

bluescrn, spryx and jjejj87 like this.
  21. orb

orb

That's a strange definition of alpha! Alpha usually means "first look, some features may change/disappear/be added, potentially unstable". Or "early access", as the kids call it.

Betas are feature-complete and relatively stable, but probably buggy, and no more features are changed at this point, unless tester feedback reveals something serious.

Release candidates are a newer idea (which I think is unnecessary), where it's both feature-complete and has been deemed good enough for release, unless testers find some showstoppers.

PeterB and mdrotar like this.
  22. Riderfan

Riderfan

Because you're likley not privy to the private forums for non-mobile platforms.

23. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I have access to the XBox One subsection. How is that an answer to what I said?

24. Riderfan

Riderfan

That's been the definition of Alpha in all major studios I've worked at since about 2005. From large ones like EA and WB and on down the line in terms of size. Alpha is 'All features implented by the development team. They're accessable and 'coder tested' but will have bugs and not have been tested by a real QA team.

25. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think he meant 2D, not mobile.

26. Riderfan

Riderfan

Fair enough. Maybe read that then. Like I said, from my chair, I see the focus on [edit] 2D low end graphic [/edit/ development. Console and desktop clearly take second place.

27. Riderfan

Riderfan

Yes thank you, that's probably a better way to put it. Personally I don't differenciate between the two.

28. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

Well given mobiles are matching last gen consoles which did a fair few 3D titles, I would make that distinction.

AcidArrow likes this.
  29. Riderfan

Riderfan

Then you should feel free to do that then.

30. elbows

elbows

I can't agree with that specific detail of your point. A lot of the headline 5.0 features were of more use to me on the desktop than on mobile. And some of the more recent developments and things that take place somewhat away from the main editor release cycle, such as Cinematic Image Effects.

I don't disagree with the things you are complaining about though, and GPU Instancing is a great example indeed. It's just I think the reasons for it are way more mixed and complicated than an excessive focus on mobile & VR.

I was expecting GPU Instancing to be a headline 5.4 feature that was met with a lot of excitement from UT, with project examples, and some support out of the gate for obvious mainstream use-cases such as SpeedTree support. Instead, long before we were out of beta, it started to sound from forum posts (or lack of) like this feature had already become a pain to the Unity team and it was relegated to experimental back-end feature that other developers could try to make some basic use of if they dare. OK this is an exaggeration but the present reality doesn't seem many steps away from that cruel characterisation.

I remain impressed with how fast 5 and each subsequent release of 5 feel. I am impressed by the Cinematic Image Effects especially the SSR, TAA and Motion Blur. I'm hoping to be impressed by the Adam Demo Volumetric Fog and that I won't have to wait too many months more for it. I make no secret of the fact I have been shopping round for engine alternatives this year, and despite that list of things I've been impressed by, I've not quite had the faith to make another 12 month subscription commitment yet. I want to believe that Unity are on the right track and that just one or more useable new things that help me with pretty stuff on the desktop will land soon and make me commit. I'm a bit miffed that practically implemented, polished GPU Instancing doesn't look like being one of them right now, but my volumetric fog fetish means I can be won over in other ways :p

31. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

GPU instancing will also be added on mobile at some point. After it is added everywhere else though, because Unity is a mobile focused engine (huh?).

32. elbows

elbows

I just had to scroll through the release notes of the latest release candidate and it cemented in my head my previous comment that I really don't think there is a great imbalance of platform priorities from Unity. Their efforts seemed well spread.

AcidArrow likes this.
  33. Riderfan

Riderfan

I did a very quick (unscientific) scan of the release notes published with B.23 and this is what I find;

There are quite a lot of fixes and changes that are common to all platforms. The Editor, UI, Phyics, Animation, Particles, etc. Certainly the editor stuff anyway.

And there are some fixes and changes that are not specific to one platform, but do apply to more than one (DX11 and DX12 fixes and changes as an example).

But in terms of specific platform targed fixes or improvements;

I see 44 references to iOS fixes and improvements and 51 instances specific to Android. So thats just shy of 100 issues specifically related to mobile. I see 64 instances of items related to VR. I see 33 items related to WebGL (which I thought was being killed off?)

To be fair there are quite a lot of updates and fixes for both Windows and Mac so I stand a bit corrected there.

But the console?
    I see 5 mentions of fixes or features specific to the XBox One/XB1 and 3 items specific to the PlayStation/PS4. And one of those is listed on the same feature as one of the XB1 items (not surprisingly, the specific availablity of GPU Mesh Instancing).

Now I fully understand that some platforms have fixes and features etc... protected by NDA and would be published elsewhere, but I'm not seeing that either.

So given the shear volume of publicly published fixes or improvements specific to mobile devices vs consoles I think that yes, it's not that hard to claim there's a lot more attention given to some platforms over others.

But I think this is all getting off the main point of my first post, and this thread in general. And that being that Unity 5.4 has entered into the RC stage of development, and there are still advertised 'new features' that are not yet implemented or not working as expected.

thanks

34. Riderfan

Riderfan

Yes, added elsewhere because 'elsewhere' had that functionality 10 years ago. Does a mobile device even have the ability to render 10,000 instanced objects?

35. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Yes?

36. elbows

elbows

No, WebGL is the replacement for the Web Plugin which has been killed off by the modern browsers trending away from supporting various kinds of plugins.

Thanks for your detailed analysis of fixes though, it was interesting to read. I am in the dark when it comes to console matters so apologies if my point overstepped the mark in regards to those platforms.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  37. Riderfan

Riderfan

Fair enough. I wasn't aware that's what was going on. I thougth the whole 'play in a browser' thing was what was going away.

38. shawnblais

shawnblais

Is it? Google chrome has c.lose to 50,000 open issues last I checked....

39. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

The console teams explicitly *don't* give me release notes because they release separately from me. They're in the specific console venues and give information there. So, it's not a reasonable comparison but fair to bring up. They are completely treated separately, so there's no comparison unfortunately.

Edit: more explicitly, release notes _lack_ consoles because they're separately tracked. So, it's not comparable for that very reason.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2016
    AcidArrow likes this.
  40. Alex-Lian

Alex-Lian

Definitely not. Plugins via webplayer yes, because browser are dropping it. Web browser support via WebGL, we're wanting support for sure.

41. Todd-Wasson

Todd-Wasson

I haven't read anything beyond the first post in this thread so forgive me if this stuff has been brought up and squashed already and the conversation has moved on.

I agree with the OP, please keep this in beta until it's ready. I haven't participated in 5.4 beta until today, but within five minutes I found several game breaking problems with it on my project on 5.4.0F2:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/water-reflections-in-vr-are-wrong-in-5-4-0f1.417495/
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/5-...-graphics-performance-massive-spiking.417491/

So no, this isn't ready for prime time, at least not with my project, and it took all of five minutes to figure that out. Anybody with water and reflections or VR+water is going to end up with an unreleasable, broken game. Probably anybody with a reflection probe is going to have a major problem too with stuttering. Please keep it in beta until the really obvious stuff that anyone should find in a matter of minutes is squashed.

I'm slated to release something on Steam on Tuesday and was advised to switch to 5.4 for the native Vive support. However, between this version and the broken SteamVR plugin that often renders upside down, has 200-300% exaggerated head motion, incorrect IPD, sometimes renders in stereo and sometimes in mono, etc., I can't release it with Vive support. My product will be for standard monitors and Oculus Rift only until this OpenVR stuff can get fixed up.

Now the fun begins of trying to rewind my project back to 5.3 from my SVN and a separate backup if necessary. Always a terrifying prospect. Please keep 5.4 in beta until it's really ready. If it's released to the non-beta branch and it renders my game unplayable like beta did today, I'm not going to be a happy camper.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  42. Riderfan

Riderfan

Alex, I see the other venues. I'm sorry but you're simply not going to convince me that as much time is spent on console specifics than is spent on other platforms.

And like I said previously, it still doesn't change the fact that there's a release candidate with unimplemented advertised features or features that are still very broken.

43. jjejj87

jjejj87

I am just going to say this again.

1. Please spend more time working on 5.4 and keep it as Beta
    2. Please spend time working on known issues (approx 470 documented issues now)
    3. Please revise the release notes policy to make the info more usable.

This.

plmx, PeterB and Todd-Wasson like this.
  44. PeterB

PeterB

Using Unity since 5.0 was released (from prison?) has been like a dysfunctional marriage. Much is promised, little is kept, and disappointment, suspicion and anger is rife. It's always "tomorrow". Things did improve a little after the ex con spouse was sent to counseling, but more than a year after the initial 5.0 marriage vows – which promised the world in no uncertain terms – we're still waiting for said spouse to deliver on their promises. So now we're all telling ourselves, "I'll give this marriage a few months more. I know I'm not dealing with a compulsive liar or someone who is mentally incompetent – he's just had a really tough time. I'll support him financially, I'll cook his dinners, I'll put up with his whims and quirks for a little while still, but if nothing happens, and he doesn't start delivering on his promises, then I'm out of here. You can't live with someone like that, even if you do love them. And I'm just so very, very tired."

Jaimi, Ghosthowl and plmx like this.
  45. JDMulti

JDMulti

There are many little things that everyone wants to get fixed. My biggest concern about unity is that a lot has been focused on mobile, mobile adds and other money related topics. Look how much games are created with Unity ( new made with unity website ) look adds earn money (unite talks about adds, blog posts and such ) and look Unity is the best ( 1.5 billion investment for VR/AR ) This is nuts!

But on the other sides there are quite a huge amount of features that need some attention. One of the biggest I see whole internet complain about is the lightmapping and GI issues. The person behind 'Dead Secret' made a blogpost about how he struggled with lightmapping in Unity5 and yet no-one hear his voice? This is an Indie developer which branch of developers you guys claim to support, but how?

http://robotinvader.com/blog/?p=516

Few another features that feel like completely abandoned are: Terrains, Video texture and the shoutouts for a nodebased shader editor. Those 3 things can be considered as core needs / features that every engine at the moment supports. The terrain system atm is a joke, people create meshes and use LOD's instead because that works better. The video texture, I can't even imagine someone using that instead of a payed asset. And for g.d sake, hire that dude who created the node based shader editor, give him a job, contact him, because it works like a charm but isn't optimized because it isn't part of the Unity core. This is what people I know and use Unity want!

Summary:
    - Fix lightmapping
    - Fix baked GI
    - new terrain system
    - decent video support for all platforms incl VR
    - node based shader editor

All those adds, money, investment and self awareness about games created or cloud services.... great... but don't forget the rest pls.

Thanks!

plmx and PeterB like this.
  46. bluescrn

bluescrn

I kind of disagree. While I'd love to see bugs prioritised over more new features in general, it seems clear that Enlighten is never going to be 'fixed up' to the performance/quality levels of 4.x Beast when it comes to baked (diffuse-only, gamma) lightmaps+probes.

I'm eager to see 5.5 betas, as they could bring the first releases of the new lightmapper, and give us an idea of whether it's going to solve all our baked lighting woes, or whether it's going to become 'another Enlighten', with further years of disappointment ahead. (I suppose it would be ridiculously optimistic to expect it to come close to 4.x Beast performance in its early releases, though...)

AcidArrow likes this.
  47. PeterB

PeterB

There's also the fact that the Asset Store is used to gloss over missing, underperforming, and delayed aspects of the engine – "you can always use products purchased from the Asset Store if you don't like our terrain/trees/grass/water/GI/networking/navmeshes/thingamajigs". But we shouldn't have to purchase things which were the very selling points of the engine itself.

Then there's another aspect of using the Asset Store: many asset developers don't support Unity beta releases. This isn't surprising considering the amount of work required and the amount of regression errors we've seen. But it also means that an official release simply can't be used until Asset Store developers have caught up, which may take weeks or months. It wouldn't matter so much if Unity was feature complete in itself. But it simply isn't.

Experienced developers handle this by not upgrading mid-project, of course. Staying behind the curve has its price, though, and sometimes you hit a bug you can't work around. But what you can't do is start development using a version you've chosen because of a specific feature promised by Unity. It's never a good idea, but particularly so given Unity's track record.

Things have improved a little, though. Unity 5.3.5p8 is stable, albeit not very impressive, but it's not the nightmare previous versions were. Other people still find they can't use anything later than 5.1. I know I won't be touching 5.4 again (tried a number of the betas as well as RC1 and RC2) until it's stable and the rest of the ecosystem has caught up in a few month's time.

48. JDMulti

JDMulti

I'm still at 5.3.0f4 for a reason. I'm developing GearVR apps and every single time I tried an upgrade I came across another bug. Reported all of them, but still find a new one each time I try using a new unity version and make a world space GUI.

49. PeterB

PeterB

I need terrain, trees, grass, water, networking, navigation, world space GUIs, GI, mixed-mode lights, efficient filmic effects and modern shaders – on desktop. None of these features is fully supported as advertised by Unity. Unity has already postponed crucial stuff from 5.4 to 5.5, and it's not the first time. In that sense, 5.4 already is a disappointment. I don't think I'm alone in thinking that for many, 5.5 probably is Unity's last chance at regaining our trust. We need stability and the features which have been promised to us.

mdrotar likes this.
  50. orb

orb

I wonder what the internal codenames are for the Unity releases. I suspect 5.4 is "Shambling Horror" ;)

jwinn likes this.
unityunity