Search Unity

about the preview Package Development package

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Gunvald, Dec 10, 2019.

1. Gunvald

Gunvald

I couldn't find it in either 2019.3 or 2020.1, is it not released yet?

2. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi there,

The package is not release yet. The ETA for that is within the next few weeks.

Best,
    Ethan

Gunvald likes this.
  3. Mathijs_Bakker

Mathijs_Bakker

Just appeared in 2020 today!
    Don't see it in 2019.3 yet.

4. ethan_jl_unity

ethan_jl_unity

Unity Technologies

@Mathijs_Bakker I just checked on 2019.3.0f1 and I can see the development package. Please make sure you have `show preview packages` checked in the advanced menu. :)

5. Mathijs_Bakker

Mathijs_Bakker

yes it appeared later

6. Xarbrough

Xarbrough

How do I actually use this tool and what are its features? The package documentation is pretty sparse:
    Click on the Test button to run all the playmode and editmode tests for the currently selected package.

I don't see the Test button anywhere after installing. Also, I thought there was a way to create a new empty package template to get started developing my own custom package.

Edit: I found the Test and Validate buttons and also the create new package functionality in the Package Manager itself. However, I was initially confused, because those options only appeared after closing and re-opening the Package Manager window.

7. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

The Package Development package has not been updated since February 24th. Why is this package not receiving more love?

Currently, it is only possible to publish to .tgz. Is anyone using this for developing Asset Store products yet?

8. UnityMaru

UnityMaru

Community Engagement Manager PSM

Regarding Asset Store products, I do not believe the Package Development package is intended to be used with them at the moment.

The packages published with Package Development are different in structure from products hosted on the Asset Store.

9. cecarlsen

cecarlsen

This is quite important to get right. I was convinced that the long term plan was to integrate Asset Store products into the package system. Can you please ask around and confirm the claim?

It is important for the way we are supposed to handle dependencies to other Asset Store products as well as packages, for the way we are supposed to organise files and write tests for our products.

10. termway

termway

This package documentation and name is incredibly unclear.

Based on my understanding, this package is intended for copying a specific package into a local folder in order to make modifications without forking everything.
    Source: [URP 10] Please stop marking everything as Internal and expose more fields - Unity Forum (https://forum.unity.com/threads/urp...-and-expose-more-fields.1082636/#post-6979934)

Additionally, I had to restart Unity in order for the button to appear.

upload_2024-2-26_14-19-43.png

Links:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.upm.develop@0.5/manual/index.html
    https://docs.unity3d.com/2019.4/Documentation/Manual/com.unity.upm.develop.html

Last edited: Mar 18, 2024