Search Unity

About the HDRP, SDRP and LWRP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sacunha, May 7, 2019.

1. sacunha

sacunha

In the NEAR future, will the SDRP be discontinued and we will have to choose between the HD and LW RP's, or it is going to be removed much later down the road, or there are no plans to remove it?

2. kdgalla

kdgalla

There's an assumption that Scriptable rendering pipeline will replace the built-in renderer eventually, but I don't believe there's any definite plan for when that will happen yet.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

I imagine that the built-in renderer will stick around for a good few years, just given how it's massively relied on for a lot of projects still, especially with LWRP and HDRP in "workable, though incomplete" states.

That said, if I wasn't already deep in development with my current project, I'd absolutely be using either LWRP or a custom SRP solution. I recommend looking into how to work with them now, because there's a huge amount of potential for both cool effects and project optimisation in the SRP. Catlike Coding has a pretty fantastic series of tutorials for it that I highly recommend.

https://catlikecoding.com/unity/tutorials/scriptable-render-pipeline/

Moonjump and Ryiah like this.
  4. sacunha

sacunha

alright guys! Thanks

5. kdgalla

kdgalla

I wouldn't mind switching, except I have my own custom shaders that I'd need to convert,and a lot of particle effects/ post effects from the asset store.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Based on how they have handled the .net 3.5 to .net 4.x upgrade, I expect once the new solution is considered complete, the legacy rendering solution will be deprecated within 6 months. Then it will be removed entirely a year later.

Unity has a history of leaving deprecated features which don't require much ongoing maintenance in place for years. But they like to pull any duplicate functionality which requires a lot of work to maintain as soon as reasonably possible. I believe the legacy rendering solution falls in the later category.

We likely won't know the schedule until Unity puts out the blog announcing it is being deprecated.

7. Ostwind

Ostwind

I'm pretty sure I saw someone from Unity saying the built-in pipeline will not be removed for years and that there has not yet even been any plans to remove it all. I wonder was it in a blog post comments or in the graphics section.

8. Well, given that the possibility that the HDRP comes out of preview is 2019.3 or 2020.1, Unity will support built-in at least one more whole cycle, so I don't think built-in would be deprecated before 2021.1. But of course, I was proven wrong before...

But this is not built on facts, it's just educated guess.

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

How much work is it to convert materials and lighting to HDRP? If we willl see perfomance gains down the line I might be intrested put in the down time todo it

10. Ostwind

Ostwind

For a VR project you would mostly just lose performance with HDRP if you are even able to figure out the limitations first during conversion.

11. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

What's the SDRP? Do you refer to the built-in renderer?

12. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Yes, he's referring to the legacy renderer. This is the first I've seen it referred to as SDRP.

Peter77 likes this.
  13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yes I know that's the current state of HDRP that's why I said down the line. For example we will probably not see new render pipelines like forward plus on built in. And maybe vulkan etc will mature on HDRP only. Just speculations, but one should be prepare that a move might be needed if you want to stay relevant

14. sacunha

sacunha

I called it 'SDRP' only to diferentiate it from the 2 new options (HDRP and LWRP). It is by no means the official name. xD

Joe-Censored likes this.
  15. And it's super-inaccurate, because there is the built-in render pipeline (legacy) and there is the SRP (Scriptable Render Pipeline) and on the top of the SRP, there are two implementation, LWRP and HDRP.

So technically we should refer only two piplines: legacy (built-in) and SRP.

BitPax and Joe-Censored like this.
  16. Murgilod

Murgilod

LWRP and HDRP are worth referring to as a shorthand because they are official Unity pipelines with specific feature sets at their base.

17. You probably missed the word "technically".

18. Ostwind

Ostwind

A bit too early to tag the built-in rendering as legacy when HDRP is not production ready for almost a year and LWRP just came out with several limitations :p

19. Murgilod

Murgilod

My response is also, technically, a "technically."

20. MonkeyZero

MonkeyZero

I think from now on, at least internally, I will be calling Legacy Rendering SDRP as it fits better with the HDRP and LWRP Prefixes that I give my project names. It seems to fit well.

I don't think I'll be saying that in the forums or the like. Don't want to get jumped for calling it something that is not common here in the community.

21. GCatz

GCatz

LWRP is a godsend, its faster on every test i've done and looks the same as the legacy renderer
    can't think of a reason not to use it

BitPax likes this.