Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

About that Master build...

Discussion in 'Windows' started by SoftwareGeezers, Mar 8, 2020.

1. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

I've just found building with Master instead of Release produces correct performance in desktop. And I'm guessing that's what's required for uploading to the Windows Store. What exactly is a Release build then?

2. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Hi there,

I believe Release has profiler code running, where-as Master does not. So I'm guessing Release is for profiling Master (optimised) builds.

So yes Master is what you would release to the store (from what I can tell) or MasterWithLTCG (which seems to enable aggressive optimisations)

Tautvydas-Zilys likes this.
  3. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

As PInvoke said, Profiler is the only big difference between the two. The other difference is that Release builds use multicast to announce their presence to local network so that various tools could connect to the build.

PeachyPixels likes this.
  4. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

'Release' actually runs a lot slower, so when it comes to releasing ones app to the public, it seems 'Master' is the intended build type. I don't have 'MasterWithLTCG' as an option. Where's that hang out?

Tell a lie - its now listed.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  5. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

It's one of the configurations in generated project in Visual Studio.

However, Release builds being a lot slower than Master builds is not expected. I'd expect at most 10% difference. How much slower are we talking about?

6. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

FWIW

I built my game as UWP for the first time last week and noticed a huge drop off in performance, when targeting Release

Under Win32.Release it's been running at 60fps (capped) but the first UWP.Release build saw it drop to 15-20fps and at one point around 5fps. Building as UWP.Master restored performance and it's silky smooth again now.

This was using Unity 2019.2.21f1

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

That comes as a surprise to me. Did you try looking in the profiler to see where the performance drop was coming from compared to standalone player?

8. PeachyPixels

PeachyPixels

Sorry no. I'm a solo dev and at the very end of a (longer than planned) dev cycle. It worked fine with Master, so the focus is to get the first beta build out the door right now.

That said, it's on the post launch list to be investigated once things have settled :)

SoftwareGeezers likes this.
  9. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Sounds good, good luck!

PeachyPixels likes this.
  10. SoftwareGeezers

SoftwareGeezers

Yep! At startup, I was getting a 45 second delay before the first Awake() call. This was what prompted me for my 'how do I debug UWP' thread. My screen was showing dark grey for 45 seconds before my game started which I assumed was my code sitting doing something, or nothing, but it wasn't even executing at that point. Master works - I'll build with Master!