Search Unity

About RPG

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AkumaGameStudio, Jul 21, 2015.

?

Which gamestyle game is easier to develop (just coding)?

1. Zelda

7 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. Final Fantasy 1

1 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. AkumaGameStudio

AkumaGameStudio

Hi there, i wonder how hard would it be to make an RPG, but im not talinkg about the High end FFXV or not even like Fable or Zelda, im asking about an oldschool RPG with turn based fighting mechanics and a top-down view with the Top-Down Assets from Manufaktura-K4.

Is there some kit like RPG Maker XP but to add functionallity to unity or i would need to code everything? And this is my first project, but i followed a lot of tutorials that ill leave in the description, my question is, with those tutorials would i be able to make all the coding of this game or ill need to learn more? In case i need to learn more, where do you recomend me to start? because ive been searching a lot and i havent found tutorials to make things like that (Like a FF1) and engines like RPGMAKERXP/VX/VXACE dont have 3D functions.

I dont have problem spending money in assets.

A last question, is it more easy (in sence of coding, not graphics nor storyline) to make a game like Zelda ocarina of time or a game like FF1? because for a FF1 kind of game you need to script multiple players, lot of skills, lot of content and lot of everything, but in zelda each item is part of a puzzle and each boss has unique AI and weak spots.

Tutorials i followed up to 100%

Making a Simple Game in Unity by AwfulMedia
    Indie Game Development Pipeline by Digitaltutors

Also im interested in BurgZerg Arcade tutorials bur are incomplete and are for projects that are way much bigger than what i want to do.

2. drewradley

drewradley

Plenty of starter kits in the asset store. Pick one or two and go for it. Personally, I recommend RPG Framework (aka Okashi Role Playing Kit).

3. AkumaGameStudio

AkumaGameStudio

Tvm, ill check it, but... could you also answer the other question? about Zelda OoT and FF1?

4. Azmar

Azmar

As my first crazy-eyed project I wanted to make a zelda game, with our own unique innovative ideas and I got a job doing just that full time for 4 months. The project goal was from start to finish full game and everything in 4 months (with no prior gaming experience between us all), I was the only programmer and I had another graphic designer supplying all assets. I worked 12-15 hour days everyday for 4 months (I even worked 12 hour days on most weekends for free!), we had a lot of reworks of core functions and went down confused roads ( we didn`t know enough at that point). At the end of 4 months we had most core functions in, barely workable framework with 1 dungeon to present, 30min total of gameplay...safe to say it was an unrealistic goal that we did not know about at the time. We did have like 12 unique weapons and some cool puzzles though!! :)

To answer your question, we were all full time and everyone went to school in their related fields as their background and could not complete the task. If you are by yourself, it will most likely take you a good few months to make some type of prototype, a good few extra months to possibly a year (depending on how quick and efficient you code) after as a framework ( really basic stuff with not much to show) and possibly years to forever as a final game depending on how crazy-eyed your goal is. How long it actually takes you to accomplish stuff is entirely on you...

Hard work, passion, dedication can maybe shave off a year or two who knows...but if you are an average learner no clue how long it will take you. If I were to start again from scratch it would not take me remotely as long to do all this because now I know what to do, so that`s where experience will tie in greatly.

Good luck man! Don`t let anyone here tell you that you cannot do it!

frosted and AkumaGameStudio like this.
  5. AkumaGameStudio

AkumaGameStudio

Thanks for your time answering me, i think im going first to a FF1 scope game because it has tools created alredy, and thanks for sharing your experience :)

6. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

try making pong without a tutorial and see how long it will take.

7. XGundam05

XGundam05

GarBenjamin and AkumaGameStudio like this.
  8. RichardKain

RichardKain

If you really wanted to make a Japanese-style RPG, you would probably be better off using a system designed for that. RPG Maker is available on Steam, and often goes on sale for a very reasonable price. It doesn't have Unity's cross-platform reach, but it is custom-tailored for making that style of game. (so you can jump right into the content) Doing a similar game in Unity would require more structural work.

An action-RPG in the vein of Zelda would play a little bit more toward Unity's strengths. Either game would be possible in Unity, but neither would really be that good of an idea for a starter project. They are both more complicated than you might think. Still, if it's what you want, then go for it. It's certainly more feasible than using Unity to craft an MMO.

AkumaGameStudio likes this.
  9. AkumaGameStudio

AkumaGameStudio

Yeah, I'm too ambitious in my projects, I wish to make a MMORPG but b4 i want to get enough experience crafting games, im going to make what Snow says, then make things small, and after 3/4 projects ill do a Zelda-like game

10. Azmar

Azmar

Everyone on these forum's like to blast the new ppl with "start with pong" or some random useless project. Just because the people before them told them to start with pong doesn't mean people after them should start with pong too lol. If you actually never done any coding before, ok go learn some C# and mess around with useless tutorials, but if you are ambitious and know programming..like go ahead and do something big and start your "zelda" game.

People keep saying you need to learn pong or <insert> some useless project here before you can make some MMORPG or real project, but only doing the real project will you learn how you failed....and that is useful to know what its like to actually fail and learn from that.

11. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

From scratch? Probably final fantasy. With unity? Probably zelda. Slap some colliders and controllers on some geometry and you got zelda. For final fantasy, there would be a lot more involved in setting up all the menus and interfaces.

12. RichardKain

RichardKain

No project is useless. No matter what you are working on, you will learn. Something of value has come out of every game project I've tackled, no matter how humble.

That said, I do get where you're coming from. It isn't my intention to discourage anyone from attempting a more ambitious game. These sentiments and recommendations get tossed out so often by some of the more veteran developers on the boards because it is such a common struggle that we see with beginning developers. I myself reached too far on some of my earlier projects. It's a lesson we all learn at the beginning. We don't want to rain on anyone's parade, we just don't want some of these young developers to run into some of the same struggles and frustrations that we've already encountered.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to work on a bigger project, or attempting such a feat. The real thing to be cautious of is to keep your expectations realistic, even if you decide that the larger project is what you really want. Cave Story was a fairly humble game in terms of scope, and it still took its lone developer (Pixel) five years to develop. FIVE YEARs for a relatively simple 2D platformer. Game projects can get very daunting, very quickly when it comes to scope and necessary effort.

A basic "Zelda"-style game is probably reasonable. Especially if someone is already a capable programmer. But I would expect a solid entry in such a genre to take no less than two years to develop, possibly three.

AkumaGameStudio, Azmar and frosted like this.
  13. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

I don't think people necessarily do it because it is what they were told to do. More likely because they also tackled a huge project, wasted a lot of time and realized it would have been extremely helpful to have tackled a few smaller simpler games first. So they are just trying to save this new person from going through the same frustration.

I generally tell these people they can make their game. Just break it down into a series of modules. Make a mini version of it at first. A small area. Get the absolute minimum in it. Just take it a piece at a time. Then they can expand and scale it out bigger later.

14. SnowInChina

SnowInChina

this has nothing to with it
    its just that the op stated that he followed some tutorials and has some coding basics, so why not test your skills on something like pong and see how it works out

many people think that coding a game isnt that hard because they followed a step by step tutorial, everyone can do that
    try figuring out how a simple game like pong works without a tutorial to follow
    not only will it make you better with the basics, but you will most likely also get a bigger understanding of how things work.
    also, a simple project like that is small in scope, that means, if you screw up really badly you can start fresh, while bigger projects tend to get complicated pretty quick and if you should screw up something important that needs to get fixed at more than 1 or 2 places, it can be daunting to beginners.

i myself am an artist (learning some c# on the side) and we tend to start out with boxes, or barrels or really small things and not full blown out enviroments

but, thats just my opinion