Search Unity

Feedback About non-destructive filter

Discussion in 'Entity Component System' started by eterlan, Dec 25, 2019.

1. eterlan

eterlan

Hi, I found it would be really useful to provide a job, instead of ForEach, but iterate only part of it, of which reference provided by a simple NativeArray<Entity>.

Maybe there is another way, instead of only one choice - for loop in the chunk, an entity as key container, just like ComponentDataFromEntity<ArchetypeComponentDataType>, would also work.

This non-destructive filter should be very important if coder want to do some dynamic filtering, even sacrifice a little performance.

2. Antypodish

Antypodish

Probably I misunderstood what you require, but for example IJobParallelFor would work for you?
    Or you could just do simple single threaded Job, with for loop inside. You can then terminate at anytime.

3. eterlan

eterlan

Thanks for suggestion! But the problem is how to iterate an entity array, instead of whole query, only part of the query. ComponentDataFromEntity can get data outside of one chunk, that works, but using random memory access twice, one for get chunk, another for get entity.

4. Antypodish

Antypodish

If you have entity query, like group, you could do something like that, to get array of entities.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. // System
    2. EntityQuery group ;
    3. // OnCreate
    4. group = GetEntityQuery ( ... components .... ) ;
    5. // OnUpdate
    6. NativeArray <Entity> entities = group.ToEntityArray ( Allocator.TempJob ) ;

vildauget likes this.
  5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Agreed. We are planning to add support for explicit Entity array to Entities.ForEach

vildauget, thelebaron and eterlan like this.
  6. eterlan

eterlan

Thank you sir. I don't explain well I guess. What I need is from entity array -> do sth, not query -> do sth. The reason is I don't need all entity in that query, but part of it, and I don't want to break the archetype by adding new tag.

7. eterlan

eterlan

Thank you sir, good to know this. Really like what you and your team's work, that's amazing.