Search Unity

About Netflix games SDK and publishing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chrisdbhr, Nov 3, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

Netflix stated that they will have games inside they platform, starting tomorrow with games inside the Netflix Android app.

Is there any forecast to support this or any other info related?

2. DevDunk

DevDunk

3. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

What specifically do you think Unity would need to do to support this?

As far as I can tell the games are distributed via Google Play the same way as any other app.

Not_Sure likes this.
  4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Ignore the fact that they called this a platform. This is solely a way to distribute their own games to subscribers.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2021
  5. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I think we’ve seen the whole “multi-billion dollar company half-asses an effort to tap into the gaming market” thing enough times to know where this is going…

Stadia, Amazon, and Facebook spring to mind immediately.

The Facebook thing particularly confuses me since games like FarmVille, although garbage, were pulling in billions and the whole platform evaporated.

What truly bothers me though is that with streaming platforms like Stadia they very well could have made games that would be otherwise impossible.

Imagine an action MMO with battles with tens of thousands of units, massive sprawling living worlds, and the like. Doing it all server side and simply streaming back video could have been a game changer, but instead they opted to simply re-release games everyone who was interested in had already purchased.

I imagine Netflix will put up an initial push, maybe get one or two successes, then lose focus and funding then the whole thing with evaporate like every other billion dollar company before them.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    Joe-Censored likes this.
  6. neginfinity

neginfinity

That almost certainly wouldn't happen. Encoding video for huge number of people isn't going to be easy, plus it can eat MORE bandwidth than doing things traditional way.

7. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

Before I managed to get a device and test it I thought the games would be embed inside Netflix apps (mobile, console and even TV ones) so they could be played in any device or have some kind of intresting integration with Netflix content.

But no, Netflix games are just a tab inside the main application that deep links to a Playstore/AppleStore game not linked with the app, so unfortunately, no nice integration with Netflix content or user history os something.

I dont get why they did this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.