Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.2 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback About forum spammers...

Discussion in 'Meta-forum Discussion' started by rz_0lento, Oct 3, 2020.

1. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

There doesn't go many days by that I don't see all kinds of nonsense spam on these forums, mainly advertisements for unrelated products.

What I really wonder though is could Unity take similar approach as some other forums (for example Unreal's) do and actually force the first message or two from a new user to go through moderator approval and after that let those people post freely once you see it's not some nonsense bot on the other end?

Rodolfo-Rubens, Ony, Olmi and 3 others like this.
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

The moderators here are not Unity employees. I believe they are just being helpful in their spare time. Requiring approval for first messages would dramatically increase their load. It would help the spammer issue, but would probably hurt the forum in other ways, since I would assume the mods don't just waste their time otherwise.

Ryiah likes this.
  3. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I wonder how big of difference that would be in current situation where mods still need to go over probably like half of the new user messages (since they are those spam messages reported by users). Now it's more of a burden for all users.

4. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Half is probably an overestimate. Lots of new users here posting all the time. But what would most likely happen is spammers would adapt by making a clean first message, waste mod time approving it, then drop the spam afterward.

Ryiah likes this.
  5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I haven't really seen this happening on forums that do the initial checks. Do remember that spam posts are made by bots, I doubt they even check if the messages go really through on forum x.

6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

We see a fair amount of generic first posts, followed by later spam link posts, on this forum already.

unityunity