Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question About 2d lighting shadows, how to achieve a better effect ?

Discussion in '2D Experimental Preview' started by DandecatLiang, May 13, 2020.

1. DandecatLiang

DandecatLiang

Hi, guys. This is my first post on the forum, and I'm a good English speaker, so forgive me if the expression is a little odd.
    I'm currently using LWRP and new 2d lighting systems in my 2d game in developing, and there is something about the shadow effect I want to ask.
    1 Is it possible to set and update the shadow shihouette automatically base on the sprite? The "Use Renderer Sihouette" option in Shadow Caster 2D component seems to do little with the sprite shape. And if the Caster has sprite sheet animations, it can't be updated at runtime.
    2 Is there a way to change or customize the shadow effect? For me I wan to have soft edges and may be limited cast length.

2. Xiangting_Su

Xiangting_Su

Unity Technologies

Heya DandecatLiang! Great to meet you!
    Updating the Shadow Caster using the silhouette from the Sprite pixel data is currently not supported yet at this moment but there have been discussions to make this possible.
    Adding support for soft shadows and control of cast lengths have been highly requested by others too and we have also feedbacked this to the team. ;)

NotaNaN likes this.
  3. DandecatLiang

DandecatLiang

Thank you for the reply, I will be looking forward to the updates.

Xiangting_Su likes this.