Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Ability to Reparent or Rebase a Prefab Variant

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by amisner2k, Jan 16, 2019.

1. amisner2k

amisner2k

Hi, I scoured the existing posts but didn't find one that mentioned this feature and I couldn't figure out how to do this if it actually somehow is already implemented.

It would be very useful (and pretty much necessary in larger projects that have many variants) to be able to reparent or rebase a prefab variant.

For example, say I have the following prefabs in my project:

Part
    Panel (Variant of Part)
    Engine (Variant of Part)
    Turret (Variant of Part)
    Mini Gun (Variant of Part)
    Pulse Gun (Variant of Part)​

Later in development, I realize that some of my Parts should really be further specialized into a new variant of Part called Attachment. Attachment is a common ancestor for Turret, Mini Gun, and Pulse Gun.

Here's what I'd like to turn my new prefab hierarchy into:

Part
    Panel (Variant of Part)
    Engine (Variant of Part)
    Attachment (Variant of Part)
    Turret (Variant of Attachment)
    Mini Gun (Variant of Attachment)
    Pulse Gun (Variant of Attachment)​

I am now in a predicament as there is currently no way (as far as I know) to simply change the parent of Turret, Mini Gun, and Pulse Gun to be Attachment. I have to recreate each one individually by creating a new variant from Attachment instead of from Part.

---

Hope this makes sense.

2. krisitak

krisitak

This absolutely makes sense. It'd be a cool feature. I used to play a lot with Unreal Engine. Re-basing a blueprint is super easy. I love prefab variants, but it's unfortunate that there seems to be no way to easily do it at this point in time.

amisner2k likes this.
  3. amisner2k

amisner2k

Thank you krisitak, I'm glad you think so too. I also played around with Unreal blueprints and you're right, it is something their editor does quite nicely. I completely forgot that was a thing in Unreal. Anyway, hopefully the devs see this. Now that feedback is relegated to the forums, I wish I could see something that indicated that a Unity dev saw or acknowledged this request in some way. In the meantime, I'll just have to subtly ponder the meaning of the universe while I wait. :p

krisitak likes this.