Search Unity

Feedback Ability to globally switch texture formats

Discussion in 'Editor Workflows' started by AcidArrow, Jul 12, 2020.

1. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I want to switch my iOS project (potentially back and forth), between PVRTC and ASTC.

This can be done with a script, that manually overrides every single texture setting, or by setting a new TextureImporter Default, which... does the same but is even more limiting somehow.

The above mentioned methods have the following issues:

1. They cause a ton of unnecessary version control noise, since all the meta files are getting edited.
    2. They always trigger a full recompress (which takes many hours), since it can't take advantage of Asset Pipeline v2 so switching back and forth takes forever.

I just want to change the default texture compression format from PVRTC to ASTC. I want to effectively use the same scheme that is used for tvOS but on iOS. Why is this impossible to do?

I thought the preset manager would allow me to set default texture compression schemes for each platform, but instead it just allows me (yet again), to just set some overrides "by default".

2. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Plus changing all the .meta files, triggers a recompression on everyone else on the team as well, even if they are working on a different platform (say android) and they already have their textures properly compressed.