Search Unity

Feature Request Ability to edit tables (copy/paste, reorder, etc)

Discussion in 'Localization Tools' started by _eternal, Aug 31, 2021.

1. _eternal

_eternal

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't believe there's a way to reorder items in localization tables right now? I know you can sort alphabetically by Key, but I don't think you can drag them around at will like a List.

Although, that is just a minor issue. My main question: is it possible to cut/paste table entries from one table into another? If not, then is this on the roadmap?

Seems like this would be extremely useful for managing scale as a project grows bigger. For instance, instead of having 50 entries in a String Table for the main menu, you might split it into 5 tables of 10 entries each, just to minimize scrolling through all 50 every time.

Right now, I don't see any easy way to do that; you'd have to manually paste the contents of each cell into the new table. Or maybe some workaround with pushing the old table to a google sheet, editing it there, and then syncing it back to Unity.

2. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

This is possible by clicking the background of an entry and dragging, its easier when showing the key Id field. Its not great UX and we do have plans to do a full UX review and improve the table editor in the future.

This is one of the things we plan to add during the UX review.

3. _eternal

_eternal

Ohh, I see. Thanks for the tip. That one is working now.

All right, good to hear it's on the roadmap at least. On the bright side, I'm trying the Google Sheets workaround now, and it's not too bad. There are some quirks (I think it struggles to pull the sheet if a key exists in the string table but not in the spreadsheet), but overall this has worked out better than expected.

karl_jones likes this.