Search Unity

Abbey in Ruins 3d Content Pack

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by arteria, Jun 14, 2010.

1. arteria

arteria

Today, Arteria3d launch its new pack - Abbey in Ruins.

This beautiful abbey pack is based on a real abbey based in England, of which optimum care has been taken to reproduce the still standing structures that exist today. The pack is a faithful recreation of the site. Before the pack was produced, a trip was taken to the abbey, of which hundreds of pictures where taken, to carefully recreate the buildings and maintain total authenticity. All pack pieces come as separate elements, so you can actually design your own abbey scenario.

We provide a downloadable level of the pack on the product page - which can be found here:
    http://www.arteria3d.com/p/1121515/abbey-in-ruins-worldbuilder-pack.html

Also, a competition discount voucher!!! Simply find the hidden code in the level to recieve 35% discount on the pack, or any other product on the site - runs for one week

ALSO!!! FOR LIMITED TIME ONLY - you can recieve the level that you see in the downloadable demo for $40 addon, to use in your own game - a complete terrain, layout and lighting, plus the content!!

2. General Jackson

General Jackson

Looks nice, but too flat.
    Make sure you make good normal maps ;)

3. arteria

arteria

Too flat - you mean they arnt glossy... look at the bump effects on those stone textures, im a bit confused how you can say it looks flat...

Steve

4. Jessy

Jessy

Look at what happens on the corner; it totally breaks the illusion of 3dimensionality for me. Don't get me wrong, I think this is good work, but you could stand to intensify the bumpy and work on the wraparounds.

Attached Files:

5. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

looks good but definitely too flat. The problem is too much of the work is being done with the texture. Its just a flat piece of geo with a picture slapped on it, while it looks good, it can look a whole lot better with just a few extra polygons to bring out certain accents.

6. RoyS

RoyS

But if you have several of those pillars, isn't the polys "wasted" on something so 'insignificant' rather than something he might want to add that detail to? He's probably trying to optimize.

What other options could be done and keep this optimized? I've been watching this post to try and learn from the suggestions.

I own a few of your packs, Steve. You do good work.

7. Grune

Grune

seems ok to me since it's taken mostly from photography

you could try crazybump on it

8. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I think this is good example of why it would be considered flat, this is a segment of post which has a corner running down the middle, yet it looks like a flat plane, or maybe a rounded pillar.

I think better lighting and perspective in your samples might help with this.

Attached Files:

9. arteria

arteria

Hi there!

Firstly i do use crazybump, and most of the geometry features normals on it - have you all downloaded the demo - to see these better in action.

Secondly, most of the model work is not texture detail, there are many many archways, that are fully shaped, not just a flat face, with the detail on it.
    Sure as a historic 3d arist, i crave to make my scenes 1 million polygons, and have every detail of the original structures(i have to condition myself, i can tell you, to not go overboard with geom detail!)

Lastly, this is a content pack, showing people the meshes and whats in the pack, plus i also go the extra length, at also providing a downloadable level. In reality, i have to be confident, and say that this packs looks extreamly detailed and much research was used for it in its accurate making.

The problem will normal mapping is that it is lighting dependent - if i wanted to really bring out the bumps, then i would have to put an additonal light under the cloisers(the area of the main issue here with the corner piece), but that would look odd, as the whole scene, as you can see by its blue tint, depicts moonlight, and the fall of night thus even in real life, if there is not a light source present - i.e. a streetlight, focussed moonlight etc, the effects would not be scene in the real world to the eye, as it is falling to night

JohnnyA: That section of geometry is almost hidden by darkness, hence why it appears to be like that.

I love all the crit though, it shows great interest in my art(which i never refer to as simply products, as they are my heart and soul!)

However, always remember, that this is a promotion of a beautiful content pack, and not a finished game, thus you guys can always make the lighting more suited to what you require.
    Also as a last point, the work i have done here, should really be sold for a much much higher rate, but i keep things reasonable for the indie community.

Im going to offer an additonal 15% discount to all the people who have posted here, as a thanks for their time investment in contributing to the post

ENJOY!

Best wishes

Steve

10. Xsnip3rX

Xsnip3rX

Personally, i think it looks amazing as it is, good job on this pack :)

11. Mixality_KrankyBoy

Mixality_KrankyBoy

Hey Steve - looks great, but I don't see this on your download site (for members) - can you PM me if I am looking in the wrong place?

12. Grune

Grune

I like the look aswell

how did you seperate the parts?

13. arteria

arteria

HI

THe abbeypack, in its newest version is uploading now to the JUNE 2010 folder.

Re parts being separated - please explain what you mean

BEst

Steve

14. Xsnip3rX

Xsnip3rX

Hey steve, can you hit me up on msn sometime soon? (its about the ships)

Sorry about off topic!

15. Calidan

Calidan

Looks good, what happened to the downloadable level link you included? Doesnt seem to work anymore

16. tymcode

tymcode

Is this Glastonbury Abbey?