Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

AAB support : does that mean we don't need to use PAD ?

Discussion in '2021.2 Beta' started by bali33, Jun 22, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fangye_Studio

fangye_Studio

hi @JuliusM , I just tried 2019LTS to make my game to fit google AAB+PAD requirement , with customized path gradle 6.1.1 , I made out the app as AAB+PAD and uploaded to google play console successfully. but I am suprised about the size difference .

the local AAB+PAD file size is around 460MB, I can see it includes base.apk and unityDataAssetPack.apk .
    the size in google play app bundle explorer also seems same around 460MB,but once I tried the internal testing , I found the app download size in google play is around 1GB.

I explored the local AAB file a bit , and just found inside the base.apk is 15MB size and packed as 14.9MB, but the unityDataAssetPack.apk size is 1GB and packed as 438MB . so it seems google play just released this uncompressed 1gb apk size as download size (install -time mode) .

I tried build out the traidional apk , the size is same around 450MB , even previous aab+oob , also total less than 460MB, which is good for download size . so I am confused is this the correct and reasonalbe download size for this new publish pipeline ?

Attached Files:

2. Neonlyte

Neonlyte

The OBB file that Unity packs automatically is just a ZIP file with .obb extension, so it is compressed.

Google said that asset packs in AAB will be uncompressed unless specified during build.

https://developer.android.com/reference/com/google/android/play/core/assetpacks/AssetLocation.html

3. fangye_Studio

fangye_Studio

hi, @Neonlyte thanks for your reply , I still feel blur and confused about this .

the attached pic is what I see in AAB file using 7-ZIP explorer.
    the unityDataAssetPack seems packed with compressed ,but in google play installation it become the original size. it may be due to the the google reference you post, so is there anyway to set it as a compressed asset it in Unity building process with 2019 OR 2020LTS, or I have to use google plugin to mannually pack asset ?

Attached Files:

4. lawsonh

lawsonh

If I was previously using assetbundles with PAD unity plugin provided by google, what is the difference between that and this new Unity feature?

My game is less than 1 GB but, I would like to use ondemand style loading rather than install time. Does that mean I still need to use the unity plugin by Google?

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.

As was said previously, the purpose of this feature is to provide a bridge to people who were relying on APK+OBB.

lawsonh likes this.
  6. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

You can create custom asset packs with on demand delivery type using the Unity feature. Then you will have to adapt your game logic to ensure that the custom asset pack is downloaded and that the bundle is loaded from the asset pack location.
    If you are using Addressables, then you can take a look at this sample https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Addressables-Sample which shows how to set up Addressables to work with Play Asset Delivery feature in Unity.

LeonhardP likes this.
  7. lawsonh

lawsonh

Awesome, thanks a lot. I am using asset bundles. Do you know if there is any benefit to changing to the Unity feature in my case?

8. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

If you have already set up everything and it works for you, then there are no immediate gains you would get by switching from plugin to built-in solution. However the drawback is that you depend on the 3rd party plugin's compatibility with Unity. Some changes (either in plugin or in Unity) could break the compatibility in the future.

lawsonh likes this.
  9. Gamedelta

Gamedelta

When i build my application, Unity generates an Android App Bundle and not generate asset packs.
    How generate asset packs?

10. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Did you follow instructions in https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/play-asset-delivery.html ? note: the documentation page is for the latest LTS version, which currently is Unity 2020.3, make sure to select your Unity version in the top left.
    Also note that asset packs will be inside of the AAB, they will not be separate files.

11. Gamedelta

Gamedelta

Hi, @JuliusM thanks for your reply.
    Yes i follow instructions and use Unity 2020.3.17f1.
    Don't undestand about "inside of the AAB". My AAB file before split was larger than 200 mb and works fine on device, after split AAB became 40 mb in size and don't work on device.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2021
  12. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Do you see any warnings in editor's console when building the player? Do you use Addressables package? Do you have custom scripts which modify project files after the gradle project is built?

13. Gamedelta

Gamedelta

There are no warnings, there are no scripts that modify the project files, one of the projects has Adressables (only sounds), the other does not, but the result is the same for both.
    upload_2021-9-1_11-24-27.png

14. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

I see, then I am out of ideas. This will need to be investigated. Please report a bug https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting after that you can paste the 7 digit issue number here as well, so I would be able to track it right away.

15. Gamedelta

Gamedelta

I found the cause of the problem. In the launcherTemplate.gradle file, you had to replace **PACKAGING_OPTIONS****SPLITS** with **PACKAGING_OPTIONS****PLAY_ASSET_PACKS****SPLITS**.

lenchez-mrg and JuliusM like this.
  16. 20V

20V

Just in the nick of time for this to arrive in unity. However I just tried, Earlier my app was 600+MB and now the ABB which came out was only 49MB. definitely something is wrong? Do you know anything about this? @JuliusM

17. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Same issue for me, I am using Unity 2019.4.29.

18. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

19. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

That worked, but getting a warning of apk size more then 150MB

20. lawsonh

lawsonh

That's normal I think. You can ask it to calculate the size range after and make sure that is lower than 150mb

21. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

This is my AAB file, I don't see APK + OBB in it. Is it good to go?

Attached Files:

22. lawsonh

lawsonh

Yeah thats good. theres no more apk/obb. the packs are embedded in the AAB. When you upload to google play it'll calculate the size automatically and if the underlying binary is higher than 150mb you will be rejected

23. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

I received this error when uploaded on Google Play-
    An error occurred while running bundletool build-apks on your uploaded App Bundle. Ensure that your App Bundle is valid by running bundletool build-apks locally and try again. Learn more. Error: Both modules 'base' and 'UnityDataAssetPack' contain asset entry 'assets/bin/Data/UnitySubsystems/UnityARCore/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json'.

24. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

This will probably be the problem with ARCore package. Please submit a bug report, feel free to paste the 7 digit bug report number here. Thank you.

25. JuliusM

JuliusM

Unity Technologies

Take a look at this post https://forum.unity.com/threads/aab...t-need-to-use-pad.1129876/page-2#post-7464992 you are most likely in the same situation. If you have custom gradle templates, you will have to add an entry for asset packs. Alternatively you can recreate your gradle templates based on the default templates in the new Unity version and then do your custom modifications on top.

26. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Can you create a bug report? The project is big so it seem to fail.

Attached Files:

27. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Seems like some of the files in the project folder are locked. Can you please check if they are opened in a third party tool, like Visual Studio? Instead of attaching the project folder directly, you can try to create an archive of the relevant project files and attach that.

There is no limit to the size of the attachments that the bug reporter accepts.

28. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Here is the case number. 1362901

29. allpublic

allpublic

I run into the same issue with 2021.1.19f1.
    I found a workaround with 2020.3.17f1.

And used these Special Project Settings:
    Split Application Binary: true
    Scripting Backend: IL2CPP
    Minimum API Level: Android 11
    Deinstalled Google Bundle Plugin

Custom Gradle Properties Template:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. org.gradle.jvmargs=-Xmx**JVM_HEAP_SIZE**M
    2. org.gradle.parallel=true
    3. android.enableR8=**MINIFY_WITH_R_EIGHT**
    4. unityStreamingAssets=.unity3d**STREAMING_ASSETS**
    5. **ADDITIONAL_PROPERTIES**
    6. android.useAndroidX=true
    7. android.enableJetifier=true
    I don't know if the package is alright yet but the upload was accepted, so looks like the split in Parts worked.

30. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Were you able to check the Issue? 1362901 is the case number.

31. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The report is with QA. It will take some time for it to get processed.

32. CurrentStudios

CurrentStudios

Any update on this? Running into the same issue preventing me from uploading my app to Google Play.

33. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Hi @LeonhardP , To get better support do I have to update my Unity plan? Please let me know. Issue is causing us to release the build.

34. virgilcwyile

virgilcwyile

Hi @LeonhardP Here is the response I Got,
    "the error "Both modules 'base' and 'UnityDataAssetPack' contain asset entry 'assets/bin/Data/UnitySubsystems/UnityARCore/UnitySubsystemsManifest.json'." is already known and being tracked here: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/f/cases/1360010/ this is an issue related to ARCore. Would it be possible for you to test uploading again after this fix has landed? If you will still encounter this issue contact us again."
    But I am not able to login to the link to see the resolution.

35. Adrian

Adrian

LeonhardP likes this.
  36. pf_ana

pf_ana

This is Awesome. we already use this in release product.
    But we need some help.
    98% of user can play the game well.
    But some Android Device, like vivo Y20 or vivo Y20i, user get the "Unable to Initialize the Unity Engine",
    There users need to reopen the game several time for play the game once.
    we thought the reason is some assetpack or dll load too slow ?
    we can't reproduce this bug. Please help. @JuliusM @LeonhardP

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
    Energy0124 likes this.
  37. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

We'll need to be able to reproduce this issue locally in order to investigate this. Could you please submit a bug report with a reproduction project attached and specify what device this issue occurs on?

38. domonyiv

domonyiv

@LeonhardP @pf_ana I have the same problem (There users need to reopen the game several time for play the game), but the message is different (Not enough storage space to install required resources) I already submitted a bug report with the project attached and it can be reproduced on Huawei Honor 4C - Android 6.0.

The Split Application Binary and Build App Bundle options must be turned on to able to reporduce it.

Please note, if I change the Build Compression method to Default from LZ4 the problem goes away!

FogBugz id: 1372558
    Topic: https://forum.unity.com/threads/not-enough-storage-space-to-install-required-resources.1063934/

Energy0124 and LeonhardP like this.
  39. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the report and for flagging it!

40. domonyiv

domonyiv

Unfortunately I was wrong with the "if I change the Build Compression method to Default from LZ4 the problem goes away" part. "Unable to Initialize the Unity Engine" happens once in ten starts. @pf_ana @LeonhardP

41. pf_ana

pf_ana

Sorry, When i create a new empty project. Use same setting. The issue doesn't happen. So, we think the reason maybe is count of files or the StreamingAssets size, and as another question from me. there was a lot of .pdb file, (these file size is not big, but too many files). And what we want is just create a assetpack with StreamingAssets. so, from the doc. we just rename the StreamingAsset folder to StreamingAssets.assetpack, this let the steamingAssets a single pack.
    And since that. we found the issue doesn't happen so frequently like before.

We also found, the reason maybe from google, but even we update the play asset develiry to 1.10.2, this issue also not fixed.
    BUT, even if google PAD make some error like, download error, zip error, IO error, Unity maybe NOT COMPATIBLE the error like "not space ~, unable init". Permission Deny is Permission Deny. IO Exception is IO Exception. No Space is No Space. Please!

42. aleksander_bashkiriev

aleksander_bashkiriev

Hi!
    We have same problem: errors "Unable to Initialize the Unity Engine" or "not enough storage space to install required resources" on some devices: Redmi 9A, Pixel 3XL, Samsung A52.
    Some times game is started but cant load the some resources. On other devices same build works fine.
    It started when we start use aab.
    We use addressables for resources.
    Any solutions there?

PS: How can I found issue 1372558 ? I cant found it on issuetracker.unity3d.com if I use search field.

43. domonyiv

domonyiv

You can vote on this:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...ding-app-bundle-with-split-application-binary

44. Ommand

Ommand

Will the fix be backported to at least 2021.2.x?

45. Rassalom

Rassalom

@LeonhardP any progress on the issue with "Unable to Initialize the Unity Engine" so far?

lawsonh and Andrewkom like this.
  46. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

Related discussion: https://forum.unity.com/threads/una...-space-to-install-required-resources.1209796/

Latest reply from the devs:
    Closing this thread to avoid multiple parallel discussions. Please use the thread above going forward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.