Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

a19 and urp10

Discussion in '2020.2 Beta' started by laurentlavigne, Jul 31, 2020.

1. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

2. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Subfolders work like this (just put the path like this into PM):
    https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...nity.render-pipelines.core#v10.0.0-preview.26

but I do stress that you need to do this for all: core, universal, shadergraph and visualeffectgraph packages as all required to be linked separately as git support on PM can't pull dependencies. Graphics repo is huge so be prepared for this to take a LONG time.

Also worth noting that subfolder functionality was only recently introduced in Unity 2020.1+ but this doesn't limit you as URP 10 is for 2020.2 anyway.

More info about PM and git subfolders here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/some-feedback-on-package-manager-git-support.743345/#post-5425311

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  3. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

alright let's try
    upload_2020-7-31_13-46-14.png
    nope
    upload_2020-7-31_13-46-55.png
    doesn't show up
    upload_2020-7-31_13-47-34.png

4. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

5. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

You are missing .git from Graphics.git. That being said, like mentioned earlier, Graphics repo is huge which could lead into some timeouts etc on PM (I wouldn't know).

If you want to make sure it works, just clone it somewhere else and then just file link the packages one by one instead.

6. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Tested this on my end using the link from #2 post, it does work (don't mind the mismatched HDRP package here, only tried this for core package):

laurentlavigne likes this.
  7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

thanks, the git was missing and also Git itself.
    I finally read the console, it said git is not installed, to install it then restart both unity and the hub (which does path injection i think) so after finding git on the web and going pressing next 2 bazillion times, hopefully not installing some adware and adding .git after Graphics ... it is loading and as you said it takes forever. I tried loading from an unzip folder and got this all time.
    upload_2020-7-31_17-32-34.png

Workflow of this PM git could be improved easily. For example string detect the present of .git and add it if missing so I don't have to do a machine's job or learn yet another system.

Ruslank100 likes this.
  8. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

yeah i stopped the git import, went the local route and getting these puppies for lunch
    upload_2020-7-31_17-48-1.png
    kinda weird that core 31 would install from preview 26
    upload_2020-7-31_17-49-24.png

9. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

10. transat

transat

How is URP 10 looking for those who have tried? Does it have deferred lighting?

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

nope

12. transat

transat

Is AO showing up in the postprocessing stack?

13. adamgolden

adamgolden

I couldn't get the git approach working originally so I ended up doing it this way (shared for anyone else struggling with git):

Go to https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/Graphics

Click where it says "Master", then click "Tags"
    unity_graphics_tags.jpg

Select which version you'd like to install. Click where it says "Code" then click "Download ZIP":
    unity_graphics_zip.jpg

Extract the ZIP to wherever you'd like. In Unity Editor go to Window->Package Manager and browse to the "package.json" for everything noted by rz_0lento (Core, URP, Shader Graph, Visual Effect Graph).
    add_package.jpg

/com.unity.render-pipelines.core/package.json
    /com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/package.json
    /com.unity.shadergraph/package.json
    /com.unity.visualeffectgraph/package.json

You may notice an error in the Console (I've been seeing this in each version for a while now):
    nrefactory_dll.jpg

The cause of this is a seemingly corrupted version of ICSharpCode.NRefactory.dll that gets included in the zip each time. Easy enough to clear up - browse to it on github from the page you downloaded the zip from and replace the version that came in the zip with that. For the above example that's at: https://github.com/Unity-Technologi...or/ShaderGenerator/ICSharpCode.NRefactory.dll but depending on the version you've downloaded the URL will be slightly different, of course.

Click Download on the page for it, move it to where you extracted the zip in the subdirectory it belongs in:
    /com.unity.render-pipelines.core/Editor/ShaderGenerator/

Switch back to Unity Editor, it will do its thing and the error will disappear! :D

14. print_helloworld

print_helloworld

Likely because of git lfs, if you download to a zip from the website any git lfs objects dont get downloaded and you only get the pointer, clone the branch instead using a git client and add that git folder as the package folder

15. adamgolden

adamgolden

Do you recommend any specific git client (for Windows)? I don't have occasion to need it for anything (generally speaking) and grabbing a zip is easier and more familiar to me than wondering about what I'm installing and what else gets installed along with it and what access it has etc.. it does seem like an issue that someone (github?) should address that you can download the DLL on its own but when included in the zip it's broken. I mean, when exactly would anyone want to "only get the pointer" right lol

16. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

nope
    upload_2020-8-10_20-43-40.png

17. o-san

o-san

Does ao show up as a ScriptableRenderFeature? It did for me in a18 after downloading graphics pkg. Just wish they would come out of alpha and into beta so this feature would show in the package manager.

18. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

After years of trying different clients I can only recommend Fork for Git on Windows:
    https://git-fork.com/

laurentlavigne and adamgolden like this.
  19. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Fork kinda fails on repos with lots of branches though and there are decent free alternatives (Fork costs 50 bucks now).

Also Fork straight up missed some common operation last time I used it (but then again, I abuse Git a lot so none of the GUIs really suit me in the end, I always return back to commandline).

20. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

I use TortoiseGit and it is such a great client with superb Windows Explorer integration. And free. Can only recommend it. Just today I realized when I pull a repo it offers to automatically stash and unstash open changes. Small but nice time saver.

21. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yeah.. I usually lean towards free or open source solutions where available. Fork does look great from their website, and I'd have taken the evaluation for a spin next time the need came up (were it not for the comment by @rz_0lento). This all seems like overkill when a link to a ZIP is right there and you can just right-click->extract that to a folder. The only issue is the DLL file - and let's be honest, the fact a ZIP would only contain a pointer as mentioned earlier is absolutely ridiculous. I sort of get the explanation, but the purpose eludes me. It just makes github look broken when you can click to download the file and it's just fine by itself, but corrupted (for all intents and appearance) by their compression process. Why not a popup or notification of some kind - "WARNING: Downloading this ZIP will not be the same as downloading the files one at a time!" Maybe there is and I just haven't noticed.

@ImpossibleRobert - I've tried Tortoise before, no complaints. But I just happened on that randomly when I needed one a few years back and took a chance. I uninstalled it once it was no longer needed. I guess I'll go with that again if there's no easier way for something.

Also just to be clear - my lack of enthusiasm and knowledge in this area is due to having spent most of my life being the only person working on any given project, with few exceptions. I really should sink a day or two into getting familiar with all the repository- and version control-related workflows and best practices. I know it's valuable.. I just can't bring myself to prioritize that without a need to - especially with so many things I could be doing in Unity with that time instead :D

ImpossibleRobert likes this.
  22. ImpossibleRobert

ImpossibleRobert

The thing is, I actually do MORE in Unity because of version control. Simply because I always have the full history and no fear of accidentally deleting something important. And it makes it very easy to run the beta version of Unity in parallel. Simply check out the same repo and put the upgrade change patch on top, keeping the master always up to date. Then once you are satisfied you can do a super simple switch over. I also use it for compiling the release notes for my projects. In short: even as a single dev I'd never skip this. But enough preaching for now :)

adamgolden likes this.
  23. mahdi_jeddi

mahdi_jeddi

I paid for fork, but I think it's free to evaluate and non-commercial? For me it's been perfect. All other clients for me have been too slow with issues. But I guess it depends on your use cases. I recommend to at least give it a try.

Another side of this is the server. We tried different services but ended up setting up our own git server. Github and the like all have issues when using them for gamedev.