Search Unity

A youtube tutorial rant

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pixie40, May 16, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pixie40

Pixie40

So, I have no real prior artistic experience. I've farted around in MS Paint a time or three over the years, and tried to take a C.A.D. class in high school that just left me confused because the teacher never actually explained how the frell you use the program we were expected to use. Most of my artistic activities and abilities have been "crappy drawings" when I was 6 or 7 years old, and the ability to do a pretty decent self portrait (but I'm pants at drawing ears). Still, you can't learn if you never do. And everyone begins somewhere. Right? I'm willing to accept that my early attempts are going to be crude. But they should (in theory) improve over time.

I'd been kind of interested in game development ever since I got a copy of the original RPG Maker released on the Playstation One. Hearing about Blender last year, I downloaded that since it's free. And since Unity is free, I downloaded that too. I figured if nothing else, I could tinker around. Maybe make something for my own amusement or to share with friends. Which ran smack into a bit of a problem. I don't want to use stock assets if I don't have to. I could pay for work-for-hire to get art assets, true. But I kind of want to learn how to make my own art assets... crap as they likely are to be.

So I've been diving into the dumpster fire that is youtube's blender and unity tutorials. Why the frell is it that nobody making 'beginner tutorials' seems to realize that a beginner doesn't know every single short cut, what every option is, and where it is? They talk fast, do everything at seeming hyper speed due to using shortcuts they don't mention or just barely mention in passing, and fail to actually explain how or why they are doing anything. Or they keep throwing out terms that mean nothing to a beginner without explaining anything.

The youtube tutorials on coding in Unity are even worse. The person making the video is likely to say something like the following: (note, this isn't the actual terms)

"If I want to do (insert task) first I make X, Y, and Z intrager zwingles. Next I need to make a conditional bweeble zop, then have the trigir tiggle call up my intrager zwingles..."

At which point my reaction, and I'd imagine any other beginner trying to figure out what they are doing is going to be saying "What the FORK did he just say?! That makes no damn sense!" They don't bother explaining the terms. They don't explain how or why they do things. They just assume you already know all this stuff. I'm sorry, but if I knew what the frell I was doing, I wouldn't be looking up beginner tutorials on Youtube.

Sorry, kind of frustrated. I've tried watching 30 different tutorials on how to make clothing in Blender in the last 3 weeks, and every single time the "beginner" tutorial video assumes you already know all the ins and outs of the program. Just as the beginner coding tutorials I can find all assume you already know how to code. And the beginner animation tutorial videos assume you already know every term they are using, all the shortcuts they are using, and how to do all this stuff.

Again, if I already knew this stuff... I wouldn't be looking for beginner tutorials.

2. stain2319

stain2319

I'm with you and part of my motivation for learning Unity is to make better tutorials, as odd as that may sound. A big part of my day job has to do with creating software documentation and training and helping people learn things. I've noticed the exact same things about a lot of Unity beginner tutorials.

Part of the problem with YouTube, forgive me for saying so, is that everyone is trying to be cute. Everyone wants to be a YouTube star and rack up the views. And I get that, but honestly, there are some annoying and goofy-ass videos out there as a result. There is, in my opinion, a particular skillset and almost an art involved in teaching people to do something, and a lot of these guys just don't have it. But they do have a cool spiky haircut! :p

3. The aim of most Unity tutorials isn't to teach you how to code. Take some lessons in C# first, you will need it for Unity. Most of tutorials for Unity assumes you have at least some understanding of C#. There were some attempt to teach basic C#, but I think others do that better. Like this:

Unity for absolute beginners:

undevable, MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  4. MDADigital

MDADigital

When it comes to blender f3 is a good feature. For commands you don't use that often

koirat, MadeFromPolygons and Ryiah like this.
  5. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's the reason why I dislike video tutorials and prefer books.

Unfortunatley, I learned basics of blender at version 2.47, and back then "Blender Noob To Pro" contained relevant up-to-date advice. I'm not sure what's the situation is right now.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Blender_3D:_Noob_to_Pro

In case of unity, I approached from programmer's perspecitve, so naturally I was mostly reading the manual and script reference.

Also, unity has its own non-youtube materials at unity learn.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  6. waggle404

waggle404

<---- still a noob

Blender tutorials were my nightmare not long ago. I even tried the paid courses and it was always the same thing you described. I ended up starting with "low poly blender" tutorials and started making some progress. It becomes less about "which shortcut did they use" to understanding the steps of actually building something from scratch. You can make low poly stuff with only the most basic tools. When you start with low poly there's no pressure to make it look perfect and you just learn how to construct much simpler objects from scratch. It was a much more accessible entry point into 3D modelling, at least for me.

I started with this, give it about 15 minutes to get going. I ignored the shortcuts he was using as all the tools were on the left icons basically.

For what it's worth, as someone who knew programming well before starting with Unity, imho you're better off learning C# on it's own first. Or Java, it's similar enough. More specifically, you don't need to learn C#, you need to learn programming. If you learn programming, it doesn't really matter which language you use. You can pickup a new language in a fraction of the time it takes to learn your first language.

Last edited: May 16, 2021
    angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  7. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Many of these people don't realise that use of a tool, supporting theory, and teaching are 3 distinct skills. Their lack of the latter means that they often don't recognise when or how to separate the former two, or how to generally design a piece of teaching to fit within a broader context of learning.

Their intentions are good, but their first forays into teaching are going to be approximately as effective as our first forays into art. :)

One of the things with books is that they at least, in theory, have to get past an Editor before they get published. Even a non-technical Editor can point out "hey writer, you're telling me to use an intrager zwingle but they haven't been covered yet".

Good publications have also been tested with real learners and had some kind of expert review before being distributed. Also, usually only people with experience get the opportunity to write stuff in the first place.

Last edited: May 17, 2021
  8. neginfinity

neginfinity

One important aspect of books is that when you're reading a book, you have the ability to scan for relevant information/keywords.

You can't see what the video is going to show you 1 minute from now, in the sense that you can't perceive the entire video segment at once and latch at key moments and keywords. This can be done easily with a book.

In comparison, a video resembles a lecture recorded on a tape.

zombiegorilla and angrypenguin like this.
  9. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Absolutely. I think I've, um, "explained" my views on why written and image instructions are generally superior to video instructions enough that I don't want to repeat it, though. ;)

zombiegorilla likes this.
  10. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

well the good thing is there is no shortage of educational material so keep looking and you'll find a teacher who makes things click eventually.

you do have to do a lot of trial and error on your own though.

zombiegorilla likes this.
  11. spiney199

spiney199

I agree with the Trial and Error part. I started learning Blender, gosh, probably more than 10 years ago back in the 2.49 days. And there was considerably less information out there than there is now. Honestly not sure how I ended up becoming so familiar with the software.

Admittedly persistence is key, as well as patience. And I agree, a lot of tutorials out there are by people who aren't the best teachers. Them's the breaks.

As for learning Blender, I've always known CG Cookie to have absolute beginner tutorials: https://cgcookie.com/lesson/welcome-to-the-blender-basics

It's been a while since I used their site, but when I used to pay for their courses their stuff was top-notch.

But admittedly, if you are looking to learn software and tutorials that you're looking at assume prior knowledge, then perhaps you should be looking at absolute-beginner tutorials to begin learning the software itself.

12. Pixie40

Pixie40

Some of the videos I tried watching did a fair job of introducing the basic tools. And I did learn some useful tricks watching a couple "build X item" videos. They failed to explain what or why they did stuff, but even the visual of "oh, that's how you can do that" inspired me to tinker a bit to find methods that work for me. I currently have a 3d mock-up of my apartment that I'm slowly working towards turning into a Steam Home. As well as a decent (if untextured) table and chair set. I haven't added doors to the apartment mock-up yet. Not quite sure how to do that right now. Especially since I want to have the doors be functional objects.

For the videos I've tried watching to learn how to make clothing... I think I learned more just looking at the thumbnail image then I did watching the videos.

13. spiney199

spiney199

As I alluded to before and as the saying goes: you need to learn to walk before you can run.

In 3d the dynamic is two fold. You need to learn the software and the principles of 3d modelling, particularly if you've done neither beforehand.

I'll be perfectly candid, modelling clothing is intermediate to potentially advanced level modelling. You need both an apt handle on your tools (the software), and thorough understanding of topology. And this isn't getting into whether you want to sculpt your clothing or edge/box model it instead. Not to mention other more universal artistic concepts such as anatomy, form, etc.

Start first with tutorials on how to use the software. Then move onto tutorials on how to do the basics of modelling. Once you've gotten yourself a handle on both, that's when you can start tackling more advanced and granular topics.

And as always, patience is key.

stain2319 likes this.
  14. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

It sounds a lot like you expect to be able to model and develop by watching a video - it takes a lot more than just that to learn these broad and varied difficult topics.

No video will teach you everything. You need to go to multiple sources. Watch some c# videos, watch some modelling concepts videos, watch some modelling techniques videos etc etc.

You are not going to get started and go straight into modelling clothes, that often takes years of practise.

NotaNaN, aer0ace, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  15. MDADigital

MDADigital

Its not realistic todo both modeling and programing. We buy all our art and make small adjustments in blender.
    If we would do all our art it would take 10 times longer, and it probably wouldnt be as good as buying triple A assets from renowned artists.

The same goes the other way. Its not realistic for a artist todo programming.

16. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Rubbish. I know people who do both.

Of course it took them years of practice at each craft to get good at it, so having realistic expectations is important if you want to go that way. But if you stick at it then it can be done.

undevable, NotaNaN, aer0ace and 3 others like this.
  17. MDADigital

MDADigital

Thats why I say 10 times the time. Its doable. But it takes time. And if you dotn have a artists mind it will not look as good.

18. spiney199

spiney199

I'm an artist who's been learning to program. Only for three months mind you, but I'm certainly well on the way to make my own game.

If anything being an expert in one field just makes it easier to learn other fields as you then understand the steps that go from beginner to expert.

Yes you rewound on this stance a bit in a later post, but I wouldn't underestimate the flexibility one person can have. Might even be doing yourself a disservice by not leaning more into the art trade.

19. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

You were talking about 10 times the time for you to do your own art, as compared to buying it from artists.

I mean that I know people who are both good artists and good programmers. Plenty of other combinations, too. There is no inherent reason that someone can't do both if they have the interest and commit the time.

20. MDADigital

MDADigital

It depens on how complex of a game you make offcourse

21. MDADigital

MDADigital

Maybe what you think is a good programmer others dont think.
    There probably are existing examples of this, But its extremely rare I would say.

Most projects done by none artists I have seen is low poly not triple A realistic

22. MDADigital

MDADigital

I dont want to discourage anyone btw!

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  23. neginfinity

neginfinity

A single person can be good at multiple disciplines, however, because they're multiclassing it will take longer for them to acquire proficiency at everything they do.

The reason why small teams do not try Triple A visuals and go for low poly is because Triple A visuals require Triple A budget and triple A amount of hours. And if your budget is under 50 million USD, you're not a triple A in the first place. Likewise, a single person trying to match amount of work done by a thousand people over a year will require a thousand years to finish it.

Meanwhile simplified visuals can provide as much impact as high def one, while chasing high def inflates budget and increases amount of work, while not significantly increasing impact of the game. So many people decide there's no point.

24. Pixie40

Pixie40

Learn to model like a pro? No, but figure out basics like "how to make a rudimentary shirt and pair of pants" or "Oh, THIS is why when I try making a custom enemy they just stand there and do nothing". :) I realize that learning to code, 3d model, and all that is a long term project that is very unlikely to generate an income.

25. MDADigital

MDADigital

Yeah well, good low poly is also hard to get right. I have seen so much crap low poly.
    Not as hard as great looking realistic assets offcourse.

Triple A assets can be bought. You dont need to make them yourself. For example dekagon have an entire library full of assets. Though getting to Triple A is hard even then for entire environments at least.

This is kitbashed entirly from asset store, doesn't look AAA?

26. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

Clothes are not rudimentary in any way, you are dealing with meshes that are an addition to a skinned mesh.

What seems simple in real life is not necessarily how it translates in 3D.

A lot of things that seem simple on the surface simply are not. Sorry it sucks but its how it is.

27. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

modeling a shirt collar is really difficult from a technical standpoint.

Making pleasing shapes and understanding silhouette for a character takes real artistic skill.

Knowing how to skin clothes to a character - how to manage skin weights and how to keep the model/rig modular and a non-destructive workflow through all of this takes tons of understanding how a lot of interdependent and complex systems work.

To do these "simple" things you need 3-5 years of non-stop practice, most likely. This whole rant is only a case of improper expectations.

Once you start to learn how much of a pain in the ass it is to do "simple" things you'll start to understand why it takes millions of dollars to make relatively stupid games.

MitchStan and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  28. kdgalla

kdgalla

People talk about tutorials and books, but don't overlook the most fundamental resource- the manual. Both Unity and Blender provide pretty comprehensive documentation. I agree that you'll need to learn C# outside of Unity, though.

29. stain2319

stain2319

I personally hate the Unity manual. To me it's obvious from many of the code examples given that Unity (the company) doesn't make games.

30. Pixie40

Pixie40

No the rant was because people making tutorials and 'learn to do it' lessons for beginners then assume you are NOT a beginner, either intentionally or because they just don't know how to teach. I've had teachers in school who really didn't know how to teach their subject. At best the class ends up having to self study. At worst, such teachers end up making things worse for the students by horribly confusing them.

I have found a few decent tutorial videos on youtube. The good ones, the person making the video takes the time to explain what, how, and why. And they do so while explaining where the functions they are using are. No, the subject isn't mastered in one viewing. But by following along, rewatching (as you follow along), and then experimenting with the technique on your own, you CAN learn via videos. Assuming the person who made the video is good at teaching. There's one I found that does a good job of explaining how to make rudimentary cloths. It's nothing fancy, and he doesn't explain how to make sleeves or anything more then a solid color garment. But the basic techniques he describes do work. I haven't quite internalized everything yet, so am still working on that.

Other videos, the person is clear and concise in the explenations, but the person immediately preforms each step using shortcuts without even mentioning what the shortcuts are, leaving the viewer no idea how it was done. Or your left having to pause the video and squint at the screen in the hopes you can figure out what part of the UI is open. Also hoping that the UI hasn't changed since the video was made, since many beginner tutorials forget to mention what version of Blender or Unity they are using.

Still others might be taking the time to explain things, but how would you know? They either speak really softly or have an accent which is highly pronounced and making them hard to understand. THAT is what my rant was about. Not "I'm trying to learn using youtube videos, this will take forever"... but "most of these beginner tutorials are useless for beginners".

stain2319 likes this.
  31. Recon03

Recon03

when I would MENTOR people, this is why I TELL people don't rely on YOU TUBE.... you should be learning the interfaces and the basics on your own....we as developers don't have a tutorial for game engines out there that we use or software, and we never use many of them... The issue to many people want STEP by step hand holding....

You can't learn much if you guys need tutorials for every step of the way.....OPEN the tool and learn what each tool does... BLENDER, MAYA, even if they make tuts for you, EVERYONE that uses it, uses different interfaces, shortcuts, so that is a waste for any you tube tutorials to take you through it....IF YOU read the docs of the software or open them, you can learn your self and should be....it don't take long even for BRAND new artists..... Every single person I mentored, and its been hundreds I don't allow you tube videos..... Until they learn some of the basics and interface... then I teach them how to set it up and they can use what ever short cuts, or buttons they want...since everyone WILL be different..

You are hurting your selves, if you need tutorials for every STEP of the way, I see this even after some people been doing this for 1-3 years, they STILL want/need tutorials for everything they do... they are lost if one does not exist...You won't ever make it in this industry if you NEED to rely on tutorials...

on the FLIP SIDE... if you do enough digging, there are SOME good hand holding tutorials, most of them are MADE by professionals, who sell them....So you get what you pay for ..... if you want something really good, BUY them....it will pay off, UDEMY is not to bad either from what I hear...

PS. if you use BLENDER, switch to Maya, MAX, Modo what ever, they are all the same, other than interface, that is something else I see people whine about, how they can't use other software over another..Now we all have our favorites which is fine and common, but I hate when I see people say I cant use this or that...if you are an ARTIST , you should be able to use ANY 3D software.. like I see a lot of Unity programmers, I can only use C#, they aren't programmers, if they are scared of C++ or other languages...

Bottom line people should learn what ever they are after, and its MUCH more rewarding, if you take pride and passion into your work... .Never expect you tube to do it all for you.... Many YOU TUBE videos will teach you WRONG and bad HABITS to.....

It drives me nuts when I would see someone come to the studio with these bad habits and ask where it came from and always it was YOU TUBE videos.... some are good, don't get me wrong, bottom line DON'T rely on them.... which is the point to all of this... Go ahead and use, but don't rely on them...

32. Recon03

Recon03

He writes some amazing books for technique this is not UI.... but its process/technique...

https://www.amazon.com/Pushing-Points-Topology-Workbook-01/dp/1987728610

He has a few others and a lot of good tutorials, which are for MODO . which will work for BLENDER to, again not UI..... but UI ones you can find....

B

short cuts... some good pie menu plug ins you can set, watch what function the person does and then, set it to your OWN short cut, or BUTTON...

https://docs.blender.org/manual/en/latest/interface/keymap/blender_default.html#common-editing-keys

if you want videos for BLENDER look for ones with KEY STROKES..

Here is another with KEY STROKES..

33. Murgilod

Murgilod

What? Developers use tutorials all the time. It's a whole thing if you don't want to try and parse implementation details. You not using them is not even remotely universal.

...uh, no S***. That's why every tutorial thread includes things like "don't explicitly stick to tutorials."

Many developers will develop these same bad habits and worse without training materials, which is what tutorials are. Your entire post is ridiculous.

MadeFromPolygons and stain2319 like this.
  34. neginfinity

neginfinity

That's not true. Different software has different quirks and different paradigms. If you are used to working with blender and boldly venture into territory of ... Houdini, Rhinoceros 3d, and so on, lots of things won't apply.

They're not the same, there are differences. Lots of functionality overlaps, that's true, but the different programs are different enough.

You do have a point about learning from docs, but this seems to be a dying art these days. People somehow manage to skip the official docs, officila manual, official tutorial and then head into random tutorial of John Random on youtube.

35. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

well when you are new and dont know jargon trying to make sense of the docs is like trying to learn greek by reading a book (written in greek). It just doesn't work. I've been using maya for years and sometimes still when i read the docs it confuses me more than a simple 1 minute explanation from an ESL speaker can deliver.

Using tutorials and having SME's explain things in plain english is the fast way to learn. Fact that some boneheads refuse to learn despite consuming tutorials is on them - not the free tutorials.

Last edited: May 18, 2021
    MadeFromPolygons and stain2319 like this.
  36. spiney199

spiney199

Christ almighty you couldn't be more wrong. Firstly, this point is completely ignoring the fact that Blender is the only option among the lot that's FREE and on par with any of the other paid software options.

Secondly all four options have completely different workflows from one another. While the principles of 3d modelling never change, how you go about that is 100% different between all these packages.

My general modelling techniques that I use in Blender are in nearly all cases not applicable in any of the other options. I would effectively be starting from scratch, and had to when I used Maya in university. And personally, I think Maya's a pile of garbage and 3ds is overly complicated, but that's just my opinion of course!

Bit of a rant, yes, but to just tell people 'go use the software that costs thousands of dollars' irks me to no end.

37. Recon03

Recon03

Oh but i'm not wrong, when modeling its the same, I don't care what you use...I have started in the early days with Light wave then to 3ds max, to Maya, which I use today... and MODO.. .they are all the same when technique is considered...This is mainly all UI..... every single person I ever mentored, and worked with, we are hired at a job and many times never used say Modo, most of us learn it in a week..... since we know the techniques as a 3d modeler....

I have also used IN HOUSE 3d tools, same thing.... The issue is to MANY UNITY users are TOLD taught that only that Unity is good, and that ONLY use BLENDER..... and if you use something else , its scary and it will be to hard...IT MAKES me sick, how much I see this and when people fight me, they ALWAYS come back and say even if years later, MAN I should of listen..

I go by experience, not some nonsense, agenda or spouting crap like alot of people around here, I share experience of others who I had mentored, consulted, worked with...over nearly 3 decade career...So you can believe what ever you like.. I careless..

But the facts are the facts.

This book, is something I have shared with others, since the dev wrote an amazing book about technique as well...it will also share, the 3d software does NOT matter...the UI is what is different learn the UI, and you will be able to still use other software like the rest of us professionals have......Its NOT that hard...

http://pushingpoints.com/v2/the-pushing-points-topology-workbook-volume-2/

The issue is to many kids today are lazy, and CHOOSE to say, this is to HARD, I WANT/NEED my hand held, rather than taking the time to MASTER your craft..Now if someone is doing for fun only....

I get them wanting an easier way out.

38. Recon03

Recon03

Sure, but remember when game development first started, what do you think we had??? We HAD nothing...we had to learn by doing it... How many times have you see people, make a mess of a project, because they NEED a tutorial for everything...

Using tutorials are fine, you aren't reading what I said..JUST DON'T rely on them........ Big difference..

if you read what I said, I offered ones he can use to get started, but just don't rely on them....for everything....Use them to get started, but if something don't exist, don't rant, LEARN the damn thing. we don't have tutorials in the industry for every game engine or software we use....

and guess what its BRAND NEW to us....too... So, give me a break about someone being new... Its all about what someone WANTS to do.....to many WANT/NEED there hand held today...

if you work for someone, do you think because you never used there software or game engine, they will give you tutorials for everything???

No they don't... its tough most of the time..

Now someone brand new to the industry, software, that exist, there are MORE tutorials today than ever before, so when I see people rant about it , I find it kinda sad..... Its like do you want me to do it for you too? I don't get that thinking at all....

I remember Unity early days, we had very little to and the docs where trash......and tutorials, haha....So, from some of us, who started years ago, we don't feel sorry for people learning today, since you are hand feed some many tutorials today......... That anyone can learn it..... My 7 year old already can program in Unity.....so give me a break..

So if someone wants good tutorials I gave plenty of resources, you can pay for good ones...by professionals.

39. Recon03

Recon03

Developers or people learning, big difference..... Developers outside of Unity don't have tutorials, they don't exist...So wrong there... Also, read what I said, DON'T RELY on tutorials.....

Developers don't need tutorials for everything they do.... They may if they aren't as experience, which is ok.... and happens if someone is learning.. Not a big deal... but what is a big deal is if someone needs to RELY on tutorials for everything they do...

Do you think someone who you work for, contracted or studio, or investor, would pay you if you just went to you tube to copy someone elses code?? No. .they wouldn't... I actually have seen that crap before.. .

Its ok for someone to be new, we all been new before, I helped more people than most have, I love helping newbies who ACTUALLY want to learn.. but I also can be hard on people, blunt, because I want them to learn, not look for someone else to do it for them...

I see a ton of that now a day, where so called developers LOOK for the easy way out and NEVER learn a damn thing..... I worked with programmers, who had no idea what a LIST, or interface was...... and they been programmers at companies for 3-5 years, it blew my mind...to much of that going around, because to many people are lost, UNLESS they have a tutorial in front of them......

So big difference if someone is brand new...its ok to use tutorials......Just don't rely on them...

but what I can't stand, is when someone throws a fit, if a tutorial don't exist.....LEARN the tool. on your own then, it isn't that hard, PLENTY of resources in 2021 than we had in 1990's and even 2000..... so I have little patience for people whining, when we have resources everywhere today...

So be sure to actually read that part, THE WORD RELY...

One thing I see for some assets made, is they have ZERO docs, and some videos showing on the asset work which is also fine, again big difference, so be sure you are reading the words like RELY.......

40. Recon03

Recon03

This part I would agree with. Docs are dying with art tools. sadly... The other part no, Houdini is a different , but when you are using modeling techniques, NO you are NOT SIR... they are no different... clean TOPOLOGY, EDGE FLOW, smoothness, extrude, and so on basic, stuff IS ALL the same....

You are explaining UI differences.... if someone starts in Light WAVE , then moves to another tool, which many of us vets have, it was easy to do...SINCE technique, is all the same.... UI is different....Some ways to go there may be different..

For example..

if you made a corner modular piece for a wall in 3ds max, you can easily snap the corner, and symmetry it...

In Maya, you will need to take different steps to do it..

In Modo you will need to center it and add symmetry , and add another 3-4 steps....

Max its much cleaner, easier to do... out of the 3, it takes under 10 seconds, Modo it takes me about 45 seconds... some one may say who cares, well time matters when contracting, studio work....time matters.......when your a contracter is matters even more....

But the final product and technique you need is the same... I been modeling in Max, Maya, prolly 15 years. Modo I think now 6- 7.....when I moved around, it took me under a week for each, I also had to use some in house built 3d software, same things happen.....

We still have same techniques to follow.....edge flow, matters, clean topo, and so on...using basic functions like extrude.. they all do the same thing, some may add a little better one, like Modo, we can add smoothing with out adding Geo. using rounded edge shader, which is what they started, now others are following suit..

Now if you are actually modeling in Substance Designer, even though its completely different, the basics still apply there in a way too.....

I OWN and have all of these programs and have used for years....Houdini, Maya, Max, Full versions 2016.. Modo 15 Substance Designer, Painter, CS6 Master, Web.. and so on....

I also have used Blender, i'm no fan of it, but I have used it on and off over the years, but I like Maya, Modo better...

Blender has a neat plug in , box cutter, mesh machine, Decal machine , those are nice but I use them to mess around, I still hate modeling in Blender, I like Modo, Maya, Max better... but everyone has there favorites.....

I like Modo to do 3d work in... Maya for animation... Motion Builder for Mo-cap....

Very common for people to switch programs if you work in the industry....

41. neginfinity

neginfinity

... these days there's modeling software that does not have a concept of topology or edges, as it works on voxels. 3dcoat, for example. Then there are tools that focus on sculpt instead of mesh modeling.

Then there's CAD, which is heavily CSG based. And trying to do CSG in blender, for example, would be quite painful, as this particular tool excels at destructive workflow, but not on parametric modeling. Meanwhile if you move from blender to FreeCAD or Fusion, you'll be very lost.

Then we have small gotchas, like, IIRC blender's "edge crease" on subdivision surface modeling not having an equiavalent in other subdivision surface software, or that you can make 2d animation in blender, but can't do the EXACT same thing in 3dsmax.

Of the top of my head, you're missing Fusion 360, Rhinoceros 3d, sketchup, zbrush, mudbox, 3dcoat, tilt brush, gravity sketch and so on.

This is not all 3d software that exists.

42. spiney199

spiney199

Cool but you kiiiinda ignored the point about the price difference. Autodesk Maya costs 2400AUD A YEAR here in Australia. To tell some learning artist to go out and buy that expensive software... yeah kindly sod off with that.

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

You can say all of this in a single paragraph and you're still, fundamentally, wrong.

There. Is. Literally. No. Difference.

Pull your pants up because you're really showing your ass with this one.

You wanna know where I got my start? Like, my proper start?

https://nehe.gamedev.net

These are the NeHe OpenGL tutorials. These essentially fundamental texts in game development are tutorials designed for people who are experienced C/C++ developers but who need a guide to figure out how things work. You might notice that there's a whooole lot of code there, just sitting there. Right in plain text. Boy, I bet that these experienced C++ developers neeeeeeever copypasted twenty lines at a time into their projects. I bet there aren't loads of games out there that, under all of them, bolted on top of some code from the goddamn Quake Engine, house line after line of copypaste NeHe code.

You are speaking to game development as if it is blacksmithing. It's not. It's just increasingly elaborate word searches.

stain2319 and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  44. neginfinity

neginfinity

There are also folks on this forums that started even earlier than that. I began with a programmable calculator and then assembly for a... I think it would be best to describe this thing as a PDP-11 derivative, then moved onto MS-DOS-based programming. Several other people on the forums did something similar.

Socrates and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  45. Yeah, I started with an Atari 2600 and an attachable keyboard (called either CompuMate or Universum Helmcomputer, depending where you were) and Microsoft Basic. Then moved to a Commodore 64, Basic, Assembly, then after a lot of this and that PC DOS and stuff. Mostly self-thought, later some books from the library (we didn't have internet back in the 1980-ies after all).

I think this "no tutorials" is incredibly narrow-minded. Self-teaching, trial and error, find out how and what works took a lot of time, why would you do that if you don't have to? I mean yes, you always should be open for experimentation on your own and try to find answers for yourself, but the informational isolation is long over...

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2021
    stain2319 likes this.
  46. neginfinity

neginfinity

Well, that's why I said I prefer books. Books for topics like C++ allow you to quickly discover concepts you'd otherwise need years to discover. In case of video tutorials, people often get distracted.

There are exceptions, and that's art-related stuff, because in case of, say, 2d art some information is poorly organized, so you have to watch what the other guy is doing to spot missing pieces of the puzzle.

47. undevable

undevable

Exactly. I learned to program with the Dummies book, and they were really good. The moment I go on Youtube for a tutorial, the next thing I know I'm doing is watching a Dani video.

48. undevable

undevable

I'm still learning Unity, but watching Youtube tutorials all completely useless. You just blindly follow the video tutorial and you barely learn anything. Also, I do agree that they ramble about complex stuff just to flex their knowledge to beginners. I am learning Unity by just trying stuff. When I picked up Unity, I followed an in-editor tutorial, and they were talking about gameobjects and components which made no sense to me. So I just Googled them and read the documentation. Reading the documentation from top to bottom is pretty useless in my opinion, what I would suggest is just trying and trying and trying, and most importantly, Googling, Googling, and Googling.

By the way, if you don't have any experience in programming (or any field related to game development), I would strongly suggest buying a book that teaches programming, or a full-blown course. I would suggest getting a book because videos are too distracting. Don't try to learn programming by Unity tutorials, learn programming with programming tutorials.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  49. vs.
    Your mileage may vary. We are different people, we have different preferences, what worked for me, can work for you but it doesn't mean it is the best way for you to do the thing. I actually like video tutorials (not all of them, obviously, the quality sometimes questionable, but you can say the same thing about books too... Packt books someone? Anyone? :D)
    If you were saying that Youtube tutorials aren't working for you, or as @neginfinity said, he prefers books, I would agree with you. But I don't agree with that Youtube tutorials are useless.

---
    BTW, earlier in this thread I have recommended free material to start with, now here is one paid. If you want a Unity quick-starter tutorial program, then I recommend GameDevTV's tutorials for that. Either on Udemy or on their own site. Just look out for the prices they are following the Udemy customs... insane prices, almost permanent "on sale". Don't buy it for hundreds of dollars... although if you take it seriously it still would worth it.

Last edited by a moderator: May 19, 2021
    undevable and stain2319 like this.
  50. undevable

undevable

Yeah, I guess I was raging a bit too much in that post :p. Youtube tutorials are good, but they are some tutorials that aren't too good. I agree that books are helpful, videos are also helpful, but usually, I would say that books tend to have a higher quality since they have an editor and many people that go in part in it. But I do also like videos as it is a good visual tool. Just want to clarify:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.