Search Unity

A young beginners story

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Capnarchie, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Capnarchie

Capnarchie

Hello everyone

I'm a 14 year old who's dreamed to make a game for years, I don't know how to properly use unity, all I know is how to add firstperson controller, editing terrain and snow particle system. I've had unity since it was 4x something don't exactly remember.
    I've tried youtube tutorials, I understand what they say but it happens so fast I can't remember anything. Recently I've tried messing with the free fps kits but I get a ton of script errors and inputs not set up..
    I might sound like a total crybaby everytime I fail.. The main reason why I recently started unity again was i got to choose what project to do. I chose making a game. I basically used the fps controller and made somekinda mountainy landscape with textures and trees and my classmates liked it. I thought I have potential to be a game developer. I suck at 3d modeling and animation maybe I know how to make little movement in scripting. My dream goal is to make a game like Star wars battlefront 3. I know it's very hard, but I need to know how to make beginner stuff first.. I think it's quite impressive that a 14 year old like me knows even this, I've had no help whatsoever even youtube barely thaught me anything. Maybe I could work with someone who knows this so I could ask for help. I really like the idea of making a game myself.

JoeStrout likes this.
  2. jhocking

jhocking

I would suggest you focus on understanding how programming works. Then the script errors you're getting won't be such a roadblock for you. The Learn section of this website has beginning programming tutorials, or you could learn the basics of programming from one of the various "learn to code" resources out there (I like Codecademy myself). Once you know the basics of programming you will be better equipped to deal with script errors that come up, and you could learn more from a resource like my book Unity in Action.

3. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Have you tried our Tutorial Section? If not, look at the Learn tab in the header above. Run the basic projects "Roll-a-ball" and "Space Shooter". They won't be anything like an FPS game, but they will help you understand the basics of Unity.

"Unity" is HUGE! No one can know it all. If you're not good at Modelling, get your models from the AssetStore or the Web for free or cheap. Concentrate on the parts you CAN do. If it's logic, then follow coding.

Games are HUGE! On a game like SW Battlefront, there will be 10's if not 100's of people involved in making the game by doing the bit they like to do. You too can learn to do the bit you like to do. Eventually, if you find you like this as a career, you'll either need to be making your splash doing your bit on their big game, or you'll be making your own game by your self or with a small team - but it won't be SW Battlefront. It just isn't possible within the scope of your lifetime.

Don't be discouraged. My first game (which made some money, but ultimately didn't pay my mortgage) was a simple moon lander... BUT: It taught me what I needed to know about using Unity. I had not coded a line in my life before starting, so you can do it.

Keep it up.

Ask specific questions when you are stuck on a specific problem.

Realize it's a marathon, not a sprint.