Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A widget for the young at heart coming soon!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by DaveyJJ, Jun 17, 2005.

1. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Early screen capture (without background etc) of one of four animals to be featured in a widget I'm working on :wink:

Attached Files:

2. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

Neat.. what's the monkey going to do, dance? :)

-Jon

3. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

No, something much simpler. Think back to your childhood or drop into a good toy store in your area. :wink:

4. jamie

jamie

I guess I'm about to show my age, but here goes...

push the button on the bottom and the monkey goes limp?

:)

5. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

And like any child would do, shake it until it breaks. Then cry.

d.

6. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Yup. But there are more animals and a cool background too in the newer builds. Many thanks to Joe for his help scripting!

7. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Hey Davey,

This is so fun (Joe showed it to me in action). You must remember to make it respond to shaking the window for even more fun.

d.

8. Jonathan Czeck

Jonathan Czeck

*waits anxiously for the premiere of the first dancing Unity widget*

-Jon

9. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Very soon now :wink:

10. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

You are driving us nuts here : )

11. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I just sent a bug report about the widget build in 1.0.2 to Joe. Also, there's currently only 1 animal as my modeller is in Texas on vacation for the week :cry:

12. marty

marty

Heya DaveyJJ,

You should get this sucker on the Apple site as a downloadable Widget ASAP!

It's easily every bit as cute as that (apparently very popular) "Hula-Girl" widget, but more importantly, it would help to seed the distribution of the Unity player! After all, everyone who installs your widget will be downloading the player. And now that the player is looking pretty solid, it's time to get it installed on every Mac with an internet connection. A widget based on your cute toy could be just the ticket to get that ball rolling!

Keep up the great work!

13. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

[I fixed the link - davidhelgason]

Online for download at http://www.artspin.com/WidgetMonkey.wdgt.zip

This is only round one. More animals and fun to come in the next version(s). Submitted to Apple this morning. Thanks to all who helped!

Attached Files:

14. marty

marty

Sweet, DaveyJJ!

Let us know when Apple posts it so we can track it's progress!

15. marty

marty

Heya DaveyJJ,

The widget works fine on my system with one little problem - it doesn't show up in that tray of widgets that you select your current widgets from. I can launch it by double-clicking on the widget file itself on my desktop, but that's it.

Also, maybe you should add some music so you can press the biutton and make the monkey dance! :wink:

16. jamie

jamie

For those of us who are behind the times and unable to use widgets yet, is there any chance of seeing this as a stand alone or maybe using the browser plug in?

17. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Anothe suggestion for the monkey:

To ask aarku to help you transplant some the click-to-grab functionality from his nightmarish robopuppy ( http://www.tc.umn.edu/~czec0035/unity/robopuppy/ ) so that one also could do more old-school violence to the dancing monkey than just shaking it.

Code migrating from the scariest to the cutest production done with Unity. I'd find that cool.

18. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

(that might call for a knot-tying competition: who can tie the fanciest knot on the poor monkey... might result in some funny-sad screenshots)

19. freyr

freyr

You can actually extract the unityweb file from the Dashboard widget by doing some "widget-surgery". (Ie. browsing the contents of the wdgt bundle.)

It is called widget.unityweb. Just place it somewhere on your harddirve and create an html file next to it containing the following embed command:

Code (csharp):
    1.    <embed src="widget.unityweb" width="320" height="240"
    2.        type="application/x-unity"
    3.        pluginspage="http://www.otee.dk/getunityplayer.html">
    4.    </embed>
    ... you can of course adjust the width and height parameters to your liking.

... a simpler way would be to ask David to also produce a stand-alone and a web version of the widget. It's just a few clicks for him in any case :wink:

20. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

That's weird. It has a custom icon and everything. Hmmm. Anyone else have this issue?

PM me with your email and I'll send you a link to download the standalone.

21. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

It worked correctly here on Tiger 10.4.1 FWIW.

Attached Files:

22. marty

marty

I think the problem has something to do with having multiple Unity widgets installed.

I had another Unity widget installed when I installed DaveyJJ's and only it appeared in my dahboard drawer. But, when I removed my widget, DaveyJJ's appeared. Put my widget back in, and DaveyJJ's disappears again.

Could there be components in the widget packages that have the same name but shouldn't maybe?

I've not altered the contents of my (or DaveyJJ's) widgets - they are exactly as they were created by Unity 1.0.2.

23. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

The name of the main HTML file within the widget bundle (UnityWidget.html), perhaps, since it would be the same name for both widgets? Thoughts David H??

24. freyr

freyr

I just took a look at the problem of not being able to have more than one Unity widget installed in the Widget tray.

There is a CFBundleIdentifier inside the Info.plist file in the widget, which defaults to 'dk.otee.widget.plugin'. This has to be unique for every widget.

I will file a bug in our bug tracker in order to find a solution to this problem. For now, the work-around is to manually edit the Info.plist.

25. marty

marty

Thanks, freyr!

26. freyr

freyr

No probs...

The value for the bundle ID is supposed to be something like 'my.domain-name.in.reverse.name-of-my-app'...

For instance, the Car Playground widget (on http://www.otee.dk/webplayers/car_playground.wdgt.zip ) has had the bundle Identifier changed to 'dk.otee.widget.carplayground'

27. arton

arton

That's a neat widget!
    One thing I would suggest for the next rev is a keyboard shortcut to press the button so that you can shake the window while the button is pressed. Or some other way that makes it possible to shake the monkey while he's relaxed. Great job!

28. freyr

freyr

I just found this app called Amnesty at http://www.mesadynamics.com/amnesty.htm which is an application that can be used to run Dashboard Widgets on the desktop outside Dashboard.

.... and the cool thing is that it also works on Mac OS X 10.3.9, so no more widget -surgery for Jamie ;-P

29. jamie

jamie

Very cool, going to go check it out. thanks for the info.

30. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I broke into the Top 50 at number 33 right now! Almost 4,000 downloads!!!

31. marty

marty

That monkey's gonna be famous ... you just watch!

32. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

A (very) small problem with the Widget: you removed the unitylogo.png from the default package which damages the widget auto-installing page.

Just a head-up wrt. the next version.

Attached Files:

33. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Oops! No one else has said anything about the missing back. I was trying to save space in the package. Gack! I'll fix it and re-upload it.

34. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Not exactly a baddie, just wanted to point out... the package should maybe contain a small README.txt file explaining what's in there.

Btw. your widget is the best! I show it to everyone I know and everyone loves playing with it.

d.

35. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

I put the logo back into the images directory in the widget package and re-uploaded the newer version. Is there any way for you to check for me to see if this one's OK? Wait til you see version 2 :D

36. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

Yes, you can delete the plug-in (/Library/Internet Plugins/Unity Plugin.plugin and ~/Library/Internet Plugins/Unity Plugin.plugin), launch the Widget. Then it should ask whether you want to install the plug-in...

Click 'install' and wait a few seconds.

d.

37. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Cool, thank you. Fixed online.

38. VICTOM

VICTOM

Hey, I DL the monkey widget and installed it. It
    sits there in my dashboard and doesn't do ANYTHING
    unless I move the window. The yellow button doesn't
    click. He doesn't go limp. What did I do wrong?

EDIT: DL it from your website and I DL it again still
    no button function.

39. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

The yellow button needs to be clicked and held down for the effect to take place, and it has to be done very close to the centre of the front of the yellow button. If this doesn't work can you please take a screen shot of the widget while you are trying to make it work. Thanks!

40. VICTOM

VICTOM

Ok, I did the screen grab. But Screen Grabs Don't grab the mouse. So there isn't much to see. I drew in the arrow where I clicked.
    The pointer never switches to a hand or anything to note that I should click. I'm old enough to remember this toy when they were
    in the stores. So I think I would know how to use it :wink:

Attached Files:

41. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Weird. We've only ever had reports of input not being recognized when people were using USB Overdrive controlled devices, or Wacom products. Any chance you're in that boat? If not, could you send us an email with your system specs etc to themonkeys at widgetmonkeys dot com, please?

We'll provide a couple of test builds for you in an effort to get this bug tracked down. And you mentioned that shaking the window works, right? What about going full screen (CMD-F) with the widget, does the input work then?

Drop us an email and we'll do our best to help you out.

David

42. VICTOM

VICTOM

That would be it! Wacom Tablet - pen the 3 button mouse.
    Thanks for the info - at least I know why it won't work! :mrgreen:

43. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Ah great! Err, not great really, but you know what I mean :wink:

We actually got an email from one of the software guys at Wacom that brought this whole thing to our attention. He loved the widget but was unable to get it to work for him when he had his tablet set up. We did forward his email onto the OTEE guys so they are aware of it. I'll add it again to the Bug Report app today at lunch again. I'm certain the OTEE guys will fix it!

44. klindeman

klindeman

Speaking of input problems, mid last week I found a problem where certain versions of USB Overdrive made it so that Unity could not detect mouse clicks. Like USBOD version 10.4 didn't work with Unity, but the older 10.2.2 some were using with OS X 10.3.9 would work. Sent in a bug report, so now the only work around is disabling USB OD before playing any Unity game...