Search Unity

1. Check out the Unite LA keynote for updates on the Visual Effect Editor, the FPS Sample, ECS, Unity for Film and more! Watch it now!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. The Unity Pro & Visual Studio Professional Bundle gives you the tools you need to develop faster & collaborate more efficiently. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Improved Prefab workflow (includes Nested Prefabs!), 2D isometric Tilemap and more! Get the 2018.3 Beta now.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Watch the overview now.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

A way to reskin existing sprite animations

Discussion in 'Animation' started by OrdinaryDudeGuy, Nov 8, 2018.

1. OrdinaryDudeGuy

OrdinaryDudeGuy

Unity has been doing a good job creating new tools for 2D and I love that, but there's still something missing that should have been added a long time ago. A way to reuse existing animations with different spritesheets.

If I create every animation clip (idle, walking, running, attacking, etc.) by hand carefully placing each sprite on specific frames for one character spritesheet once, why do I have to redo the whole process all over again for other spritesheets if I use the same spritesheet format which has all of the same animations with the same amount of frames and the same sprite layout?

Why do I have to either remake the same animation each time for every spritesheet I add or resort to using a hacky workaround like replacing the sprites during runtime and wasting processing power?

I don't know how to solve this problem. Could be neat if you could assign a source texture to the animator so it would know where to pick the sprites from, so you could even load a different spritesheet during runtime. Or have something like the new prefab variants for animation clips where I could choose the source image from where the sprites are picked from. Or even just make the animation clip files readable in the text editor so I could just quickly edit the sprite references instead of duplicating the clip and drag&dropping 200 new sprites into places.

As it stands now, current animation tools could be made much more 2D friendly and efficient for this kind of workflow.