Search Unity

A very simple RL project with ML-Agents, without Unity IDE

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by RankNFyle, Mar 21, 2021.

1. RankNFyle

RankNFyle

I have a very simple (graphically) RL test project: just drawing 2D lines on white canvas (using Python image libs like Pillow). For certain reasons, I want to do this with ML-Agents. Due to the simplicity, there's no need to use Unity's IDE. Question: can I use ML-Agents for RL training directly, so that I define the simple environment (2D lines) and provide any observations, without Unity's IDE? Python and AI skills are not an issue, handling the 2D-line environment in Python is not a problem. The issue is: how would I interface my simple environment with ML-Agents for RL-training? I'm aware the "headless" mode, but, as I understand it, it still relies on Unity to set up the environment.

2. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Hi @RankNFyle,
    I believe you would need to Implement your own Environment Class to be able to do this. I don't think you are limited in any way other than UnityEnvironment is just one environment that is implemented and comes with the toolkit.

3. RankNFyle

RankNFyle

Thanks, Christopher. Just to clarify: if I implement my own Environment Class in ML-Agents, Unity IDE will not be needed at any stage of the project, correct?

4. christophergoy

christophergoy

Unity Technologies

Correct, the UnityEnvironment class is made specifically to interact with the Unity Editor or a Unity Player.

you are free to implement your own environment that isn’t tied to unity.