Search Unity

A -very- cool, free utility for OS X!

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by bigkahuna, Aug 25, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Since making the switch to a Mac and Unity one thing I keep on wishing OS X had was "multiple desktops". Yeah, you can do the Expose thing, but when I'm bouncing between a text editor, Unity and Blender, it can be a pain.

Apparently, OS X 10.5 will support multiple desktops or you can buy a utility now that will add this to 10.4, but I can't see spending money on something I'll replace when Panther arrives, so I kept looking and found this:

http://virtuedesktops.info/

I've only been running "VirtueDesktops" for a couple hours, but I'm liking it already. In fact, I've got Thunderbird, Safari, Unity and Blender all running full screen on separate desktops as I write this. Too cool!

2. Morgan

Morgan

Cool :)

And Panther was soooo 2003 :)

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Do you get the feeling I haven't a clue when it comes to OSX? What the heck is 10.5 called anyways? Ok, Leopard. Hey, I was close, at least I knew it was a cat! ;)

4. Morgan

Morgan

Amaze Your Friends:

10.0 Cheeta: 3/24/2001
    10.1 Puma: 9/29/2001 (free)
    10.2 Jaguar: 8/24/2002
    10.3 Panther: 10/24/2003
    10.4 Tiger: 4/29/2005
    10.5 Leopard: 3/21/2007 (earliest, if ships in "Spring")

:)

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... and I got the notification of your post while I was in Unity and didn't even have to minimize or anything. Just hit the hot keys, clicked on my "browse" desktop and bingo, I was in Safari. A static "pager" at the bottom of the desktop (as found in KDE and Gnome) would be nice, but I guess I'll have to wait for P-a-n-t-h-e-r for that. What do OSX upgrades usually cost?

6. Morgan

Morgan

Very cool. (I like the colored-folder thing they link to, also.)

US$129 is full price for a major OS X update (in-between versions like 10.4.7 are free), but Amazon always has OS X for under $100 so nobody should be paying full price :) (And students/educators pay US$69 I think. Lucky bums.)

7. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Wow what's next in the OSX name lineup? Lynx is swanky :D how about Bobcat, Lion? Dangit they're almost running out of Cats. Hmmm maybe they'll have to dig up the Thundercats names, come on Tygra!:p

8. Morgan

Morgan

Much speculation has focussed on Ocelet.

"Lion" would just be cheesy... but then so was "Tiger."

And the word "Leopard" just amuses me :D Not sure why.