Search Unity

1. We are migrating the Unity Forums to Unity Discussions by the end of July. Read our announcement for more information and let us know if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

A -very- cool, free utility for OS X!

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by bigkahuna, Aug 25, 2006.

1. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Since making the switch to a Mac and Unity one thing I keep on wishing OS X had was "multiple desktops". Yeah, you can do the Expose thing, but when I'm bouncing between a text editor, Unity and Blender, it can be a pain.

Apparently, OS X 10.5 will support multiple desktops or you can buy a utility now that will add this to 10.4, but I can't see spending money on something I'll replace when Panther arrives, so I kept looking and found this:

http://virtuedesktops.info/

I've only been running "VirtueDesktops" for a couple hours, but I'm liking it already. In fact, I've got Thunderbird, Safari, Unity and Blender all running full screen on separate desktops as I write this. Too cool!

2. Morgan

Morgan

Cool :)

And Panther was soooo 2003 :)

3. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Do you get the feeling I haven't a clue when it comes to OSX? What the heck is 10.5 called anyways? Ok, Leopard. Hey, I was close, at least I knew it was a cat! ;)

4. Morgan

Morgan

Amaze Your Friends:

10.0 Cheeta: 3/24/2001
    10.1 Puma: 9/29/2001 (free)
    10.2 Jaguar: 8/24/2002
    10.3 Panther: 10/24/2003
    10.4 Tiger: 4/29/2005
    10.5 Leopard: 3/21/2007 (earliest, if ships in "Spring")

:)

5. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

... and I got the notification of your post while I was in Unity and didn't even have to minimize or anything. Just hit the hot keys, clicked on my "browse" desktop and bingo, I was in Safari. A static "pager" at the bottom of the desktop (as found in KDE and Gnome) would be nice, but I guess I'll have to wait for P-a-n-t-h-e-r for that. What do OSX upgrades usually cost?

6. Morgan

Morgan

Very cool. (I like the colored-folder thing they link to, also.)

US$129 is full price for a major OS X update (in-between versions like 10.4.7 are free), but Amazon always has OS X for under $100 so nobody should be paying full price :) (And students/educators pay US$69 I think. Lucky bums.)

7. tbelgrave

tbelgrave

Wow what's next in the OSX name lineup? Lynx is swanky :D how about Bobcat, Lion? Dangit they're almost running out of Cats. Hmmm maybe they'll have to dig up the Thundercats names, come on Tygra!:p

8. Morgan

Morgan

Much speculation has focussed on Ocelet.

"Lion" would just be cheesy... but then so was "Tiger."

And the word "Leopard" just amuses me :D Not sure why.