Search Unity

A user story and some feature requests

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by pahe, Sep 11, 2014.

1. pahe

pahe

Hi. First of all, the unity cloud build service is awesome! It's such a relief for me, as a small indie developer, not to have all this bunch of work to setup the whole build pipeline for each platform by myself.

I'm a part time indie developer and as most of us I'm trying to jump on the mobile train. Though I have already setup several times my TeamCity or Jenkins build server, each time it was time consuming. Setting it up and maintainig it is sometimes very annoying. If you're in a midsize or larger company chances are that you're not the only one that has to fix everything, but if you're (like me) in a two men team and the only programmer, things become more complicated. As we would like to focus on the development of the gameplay, things like setting up environment systems, pipelines and so on... is very distracting. Especially when it comes to cross platform, it is very nice to have as less effort to get your build running (and build in regular intervals) as possible.

So, a BIG thanks for this service to Unity3d! We really appreciate it!

Now, while toying around with the service and setting it up, I've compared the workflow from my former experience to this one. There are some things I'm missing, which I wouldn't like to miss:

1. Custom parameter setup
    As I want to setup custom parameters for my build, I added scripts to my buildserver to get these parameters from the command line. These are simply things like setting up paths or even an internal buildnumber. I'd like to see something like drop down menues and string parameter fields for customizing the next build process (with default parameters).

2. Improved xCode build log output and xCode project setup
    This came out recently when I setup my iOS project and let it run once. It failed and other than "xCode failed" was not to get from the normal log. I know that in future (in 5.0?) there will be an API to modify the xCode project, so maybe it's not necessary to have that in the build setup, but it wouldn't be the wrong place I think. So having a bit more info what's the problem with the xCode build and have more control over it would be nice. Maybe an export log feature would also make it?

3. Separated platform views
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm a bit confused sometimes why Android and iOS settings are setup on the same page. I'd like to have them a bit more separated, so I can configure them individually. To me it feels like I can only setup one platform correctly, build it, then configure the next platform,... where I would like to configure all platforms first and then build either one or all platforms.

Patrick

hypeNate likes this.
  2. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies

@pahe - thanks for this comment! That's what we love to hear.

Your feedback is awesome, and much appreciated. I'll address your specific points:

1. Yes. ;-)

2. Are you looking at the compact build log, or the full build log? We should capture all the Xcode output for you...

3. Yeah, we've been thinking about this too and have some ideas for improvements. Stay tuned!

Thanks for the input!

3. pahe

pahe

Thanks hypeNate.

I'm already looking at the full build log file, but there are less infos from the xCode build. I'm trying to get some more infos for you, that I can show the difference there, but I'll need some time for that.

4. pahe

pahe

Ok.

I have the same problem again with the missing information of the iOS build I mentioned in point 2. My iOS build is failing and I can't figure out why the xCode build is failing. The only thing I get from the full log is:

Code (csharp):
    2. ...
    3. 3164: [xcode] ^
    4. 3165: [xcode] + (void)publishInstall:(NSString *)appID
    5. 3166: [xcode] ^
    6. 3167: [xcode] [FBAppEvents setLimitEventUsage:limitEventUsage];
    7. 3168: [xcode] ^
    8. 3169: [xcode] + (void)setLimitEventUsage:(BOOL)limitEventUsage __attribute__ ((deprecated("use [FBSettings setLimitEventAndDataUsage] instead")));
    9. 3170: [xcode] ^
    10. 3171: [xcode] 2 warnings generated.
    11. 3172: [xcode] export IPHONEOS_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=6.0
    12. 3173: [xcode] ** BUILD FAILED **
    13. 3174: [xcode] The following build commands failed:
    14. 3175: [xcode] (1 failure)
    15. 3176: ! build of 'default-ios' failed. compile failed
    16. ...
    The build is failed, but I can't see the error in the log, so I'm kind of stuck here. My Android build runs fine, so I guess I'm missing something in the xCode project, but without compiling the project by myself, I can't figure out what the problem is.

Anyone has a hint how I can get more information here?

5. pahe

pahe

Ok, the support team helped me, it was due to a missing library. It would be great if the full log could show these info too (I suspected such a problem, but I couldn't find it. On my private xCode build, I had that problem fixed a long time ago).

Still my project isn't compiling and this is due to my second feature request: xCoed build setup. It seems like the project is missing a framework and I'm currently not able to add it by code. I was pointed to another thread where a similar problem was discussed. It was mentioned that with Python scripts it is possible to adjust the xCode project. I'm not that familiar with Python, but that could be a solution. Still I would prefer a C# based solution if possible.

6. hypeNate

hypeNate

Unity Technologies