Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A unified place for all decompressed unity packages?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by slowDrag0n, Nov 11, 2018.

1. slowDrag0n

slowDrag0n

I am not sure if this is a thing already but is this possible? A unified directory that holds all the decompressed unity packages that have been brought in from asset store or somewhere else and all the unity projects pickup the assets from there. This could be useful in a way that if i import same asset package in multiple projects, it decompresses separately for this project and so i could end up with many copies of a same decompressed package on my disk. For example, a tool like playmaker. If i import it into 10 of my projects. that same files are brought into all these projects. so i now have 10 copies of same package decompressed in 10 different locations. It could be more optimal if all 10 projects know where the package has been decompressed and just pick it up from there. I realise this could lead to more things prone to breaking but how big of issue it could be to implement such behaviour as optimal as possible. Just curious

2. hjohnsen

hjohnsen

(local) Disk space is cheap.
    I don't have asset that I use in 10 projects or more but when I buy an asset I like to have the full version in a test project and then only have a subset of the asset in my main project (even if disk space is cheap I have multiple backup of my projects, so the smaller the better). The other point is that I often need to change a few lines of code in the asset that I use in my project so that would have side effects on all projects and that means also that I also need to backup the whole source project.

hj.