Search Unity

Games A Thrilling Theme Park Simulation Game

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by BmxGrilled, Mar 31, 2023.

1. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Project Title: Coaster Sim Dev (working title, actual project name is being kept secret while trademark registration is in progress)

Summary: Coaster Sim Dev is an immersive theme park management and simulation game in early development, where players aged 12+ can design, build, and manage their dream park. With its vibrant art style, lively soundtrack, engaging gameplay mechanics, and a focus on accessibility, the game caters to casual and experienced gamers alike who enjoy simulation, strategy, and management genres.

procedural-gen-01.png
    This is an image of some early work on some procedural generation.

Resources:
    There is a Blog: https://coastersimdev.wordpress.com/

Join me on my game development journey as I share my progress, challenges, and solutions on my blog. Your feedback and suggestions are highly appreciated, and I look forward to building an active and supportive community around this project.

Stay tuned for more updates on Coaster Sim Dev, and thank you for joining me on this exciting adventure!

2. CodeSmile

CodeSmile

Did you know that unregistered trademarks are protected by common law? And did you know that in order to register a trademark, you already have to be using it in your business in the first place? So you would actually have a (stronger) trademark case if you were to openly advertise the game‘s name and show everyone that you mean business.

Seeing that you make an announcement with nothing to show, but mention the game title’s trademark registration, gives me the impression that you have the wrong priorities, possibly even false expectations.

mikethorne23 likes this.
  3. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

this is a very good start, not sure you need to look to register a trademark as these types of content have been made before, think there was one called Rollercoaster Tycoon, or ' Theme Park ' way back, it's bit like trying to copyright the entire ' fantasy ' genre, not sure you need to bother with that until have something unique, or more when looking for various funding, perhaps more also publishers . . .

there are various kinds of dev, and think overall it's good to have various perspectives, or goals, perhaps if had one criticism, it's that this looks like a copy - paste ' business ' // drop-money-here stuff, and that these things are also important . . .

1. working for money, big-bizz, or more fame
    2. having an amazing idea, ' vision ', or setting
    3. living on passion, perhaps even idealism, making content because of that
    4. wanting to prototype, or figure new ideas, quality, etc etc

think overall people are more likely to join someone who works from a variety of reasons, and that it perhaps looks like a perhaps word is ' cash - grab ', or copy - paste some form for extra - succes // epic ' marketing ', and if that's the goal then that's also good, big business tends to make nice content, however for me it's a bit of a deal - breaker if it's just over money, or insta-power, my advice is to think bit over these things, and perhaps also try and talk over how working from perhaps a cool idea, amazing topic, or to either work on something fun, or also add that to culture, those are things also look for in a developer, and perhaps what call ' better ' marketing -- nothing wrong with what you're doing, it's more #technically entertaining people is for their benefit, and this CEO - form perhaps bit more makes it look like gimme-all-money, or something, it's more bit advice over better-marketing, bit ' smarter ' CEO - tactics, if one also had ideas like that, otherwise really nice intro // ' idea - spiel ', if perhaps a bit generic, or almost copy - paste of generic marketing, perhaps add more custom art, or what makes you even want to work on the stuff, add quality, or various systems . . . .

:) :cool:

BmxGrilled likes this.
  4. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Honestly I'm not looking for money although that is part of the end-game. Also I am not looking for people to work for me either, I intend to do this by myself, as a challenge. I'm looking to create a great community around a potentially great theme park simulation game that everyone can enjoy, that isn't a cheap cop-out like games like planet coaster, that are just a cash-grab. I just wanted to get as early a start as possible, I've typed alot of stuff up really quickly with the help of GPT but my intentions are pure.

All I have at the moment is what I showed in my screenshot. The trademark thing is more about having a nice title and logo, which I have hired a professional graphics designed to work on who I can trust, when it is done, and I am happy with it I will then follow due course to register it as a trademark. Also as I am in the UK, I do not have to be running a business to own a trademark, nor do I have to be using it before I register it.

I do however welcome your suggestions as well, as to how I can make this game great and I do appreciate your feedback and criticism though and I look forward to posting more content and getting your opinions.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
  5. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

alright, think that makes sense, also looks you know what you're doing, working on, and don't need that much help . . .

here are four ways of perhaps, not sure is even needed ' better-marketing ' . . .

1. post sketches, your own work, ideas, concept art, it shows you're working on something, more personal work
    2. write stuff why you're excited, why think game - dev is fun, what's your personal, or also cultural goals
    3. perhaps talk bit over what you hope to learn, the educational side of dev, perhaps a better writer, artist, etc etc
    4. also, it's #legit to say you want practice, or learn various that'll help you get work in the industry, professional work

those things are really good to hear, and gives people, also the fans something to ' believe ' in, and overall it's more fun, also important to post those updates, even if it's just a bad paper - sketch, or anything over how // why then working, or making stuff the way you are, there's almost no risk to yourself over doing so, most people keep their names private, and it sends the better message to the fans, 1. you enjoy making video - games, 2. you're doing something important ( even if only the dev thinks that ), or 3. you have goals that are more also sensible, or relatable, and for the last time, there's nothing wrong with the first post, it's also what plenty other people do, early marketing, or these new posts, etc etc, it was more bit weird, also look more like a follow-recipe // make-ton-money way it looked, my advice is not to avoid that stuff, it's more to say one could talk of positive-marketing, or relatable-monetization, ie. go bit into reasons for making stuff that's more cultural, personal, or then over educational, and think overall people will be more willing to listen, perhaps also to pay for the content, or try to help the entire thing turn into a succes, not sure it makes sense . . . .

good luck, and there was nothing wrong here, it's also something a ton of other people make as their first post, it was more something that struck as bit WOW ( very honest that it's a copy - paste genre // bland CEO - stuff . . . ), even if that's not the case, perhaps it looks that way . . . .

also, think it's important to look for youtube - channels, or artistic sites, or chat - pages where the specific thing you want to work on is being made, not sure the art - style, anyway for my content mostly look at the channel ' PopCross Studios ', it's an artist that makes Disney - style drawings, or various anime, then post updates over what you're making, or sketches, or stuff you're learning from, and everyone ' wins ', you learn stuff, extra - productivity, and other people here learn bit stuff, or have even fun, that's the sort - of stuff more like to see from people that want to make a video - game, and might be bit harsh, haven't seen any - all updates, look forward to see more work, or perhaps to ask for feedback on either art, or features, or bit tech - advice, no criticism really, more bit stuff to think over, and also what is called better-marketing // respectable-CEO, not sure what to call it, etc etc . . . . :) :cool:

BmxGrilled likes this.
  6. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

I got into game dev back when I was in college about 13 years ago, did a simple DirectX 7 game in basic, I also developed some basic 3D modelling skills and people really enjoyed that game but it was just for a bit of fun, not really a career choice at the time. Was also into web dev and other programming topics at the time. My goal ultimately was to become a game developer though, I went through some adversity when I was doing a game dev course at college a couple years later, which drove me to go a more independent and less career oriented approach.

I've been very fortunate due to various life events that I've had alot of support to learn and develop my skills in programming and game development through self study. I've built my fair share of toy game engines, which simply worked in the WinForms environment, and were simple games like Asteroids, Tetris. I've always been a fan of retro games as well as sandbox games like The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon, and Planet Coaster, etc.

However these game have always made me feel a little stretched short though, for example, Rollercoaster Tycoon is very dated and there isn't a suitable modern alternative, the closest thing is Planet Coaster, but I became quickly aware of the lack of development in that game, with a high reliance on it's modding community which I'm not really a fan of personally, I want to just sit down and deep dive into what I can do, for example here's a screenshot of a profitable Wild West Theme Park I built in Planet Coaster in Challenge Mode, I have all of the expansions installed, but I have not used any player created content:
    20230401161206_1.jpg 20230401161217_1.jpg

However, throughout the entire process of building this, I noticed that each theme of pieces was somewhat inadequate and missing alot of pieces that would be most desirable to have that would make for a better and more complete gameplay experience. See, my opinion on this is simple, a game should be completed and not rushed before being sold, and don't get me wrong, I don't mean that it has to be completely bug free or polished, this can be addressed after sale like most games do. I just mean, if you're going to make and sell a game, don't shorthand customers of very much needed ingame content and say, here's a tool to add your own stuff. That's just plain lazy and cash-grab behaviour.

I'm excited to make this game because it gives me and the community I am building a chance to do this right, and not rush the process. To make a true successor to it's retro ancestors.

I dare say, on some things it may be that I still have some learning to do, however I have also accumulated a wide range of experience and skills over the past 15 years total, and I will put these to good use in this project.

Why I enjoy game dev is as simple as this; I love playing games, I enjoy sharing that love with other gamers, I want to give back to the community as a whole.

@vintage-retro-indie_78 I look forward to looking at your content at 'PopCross Studios'

7. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

wow, now that's an interesting story, been making video - games for ton of years, this is very interesting, and look forward to following this stuff, also updates . . . :) :eek:

super - interesting, and also enjoyed learning bit over why, without going into too much detail, over even the how // why, there's another title, and you want to make a tribute, or also add to a genre, that's very, very cool, also #thx for sharing bit over the ' philosophy ', or also approach to making content, this is a very interesting project, and if there are updates, or also bit over the dev - journey, problems, code, or various art, then this is going to be very cool, or fun to also follow . . .

10 rating, also want to see you succeed, and understand bit better why even making stuff, think it's almost an insta - wishlist, not sure if also remember to post updates, anyway this is the stuff think makes it a better ' spiel ', or easier to understand why this is important ( even if it's only important to one person, etc etc ) -- good luck, going to be following this, and can't wait to see what's also more updates, or details . . . .

( also, that channel isn't mine, it's just someone atm learning bit art from, lolol #sry if wasn't super - clear, etc etc . . . . )

BmxGrilled likes this.
  8. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Just a brief update, I've been working more on the procedural generation side of things, I've now added profile support to my post generation:

procedural-gen-02.png

Might not be much to look at right now, small steps right?! :D

9. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

it's already good pre - viz, looks also good 3D, could be also a fun title, etc etc . . . :) :cool:

think it's almost procedural generation, not sure how to code the stuff, however there might be tutorials, etc etc . . .

BmxGrilled likes this.
  10. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Another brief update, decided profile extrusion wasn't actually worth anything so went back to generating basic primitives, and I've made some progress with generating walls and walls with window holes cut out.

procedural-gen-03.png
    My goal is to have all the most basic mundane shapes generated, and any other more specialized details will be 3D modelled by hand and then imported over the top of primitive shapes or just on their own.

11. vintage-retro-indie_78

vintage-retro-indie_78

think this is really smart, make several simple shapes, and also ' grid ' snapping to make a more simple level, then as the project moves on, also think over how to replace with more complex, detailed, or also textured shapes, it's a way of testing ideas, or prototyping rooms, or architecture, also at least for me working as a solo developer, whatever allows me to 1. save effort, and 2. learning, or having to master an entirely new program is a good thing . . .

anyway, it looks really good already, think got a really good idea here, and bit over a few problems had myself, wanting to make everything ' pro ', not skip any corners, or go to AAA quality, it's better to have something simple, that works, than to have a bunch of amazing ideas that never get finished, think overall looking for short cuts, esp. if working on a small team, or as solo dev to think less-is-more, and also tips-and-tricks ( short cuts ) are an amazing way to work, and if nothing else those simple levels are rather easily made into pro quality, or details if one wants to, think it's a really good start to an indie - project, also it's going to be interesting to follow this, etc etc . . . :) :cool:

BmxGrilled likes this.
  12. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Another update, added various thickness and size "platforms" which can act as floors, platforms or panels, also corrected some shading issues with the way the meshes were being generated, here's a peak:

procedural-gen-04.png
    I plan to start adding other stuff, such as corner platforms and curved walls, as well as archways. Also felt like showing with an actual texture rather than my test grid texture, just to give a feel for how things are looking so far. All in all positive about the progress I've made thus far.

13. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Here's a sneak-peek preview of some asset's I've been working on:
    asset-preview_01.png

14. BmxGrilled

BmxGrilled

Hey, fellow theme park enthusiasts!

Just a quick update to share some of the accessibility features I'm working on for my game:
    1. Adjustable Text and UI Sizes: Scalable UI for improved readability on various screen sizes.
    2. Colorblind-Friendly Design: High-contrast colors, distinct shapes, and patterns for better visual cues.
    3. Customizable Controls: Remappable keybindings and support for various input devices.
    4. Assistive Game Features: Auto-saving, pausing, and adjustable game speed to cater to diverse player needs.
    5. Inclusive Language and Representation: Embracing diversity in language, characters, and themes.
    These are just some of the features I'm working to implement. I appreciate your continued support and interest in my project.

Stay tuned for more updates on my development journey!