Search Unity

A Theory about removing Mechanim errors...

Discussion in 'Animation' started by Conect11, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Conect11

Conect11

Forgive my inexperience. I'm learning as I go.

So I've noticed during gametesting that there are three types of errors: The red exclamation, which essentially means "you ain't doing a thing till you fix me!" A yellow (or green? I'm colorblind) triangle that seems to say "when you get a chance, bro" and a message bubble. The message bubble usually contains a message like "Mechanim couldn't find Transform ____. (fill in the blank)" As to the why, I'm pretty sure it's because I've removed components to various 3d models I've imported. So, if I remove the "plane" from a house model, it makes sense why Mechanim can't find it.
    This led to a realization. Since Mechanim is the animator, and I have no intention of animating those models, will removing the animator component that was automatically assigned to those models

A: Remove the errors
    or
    B: Do any harm?

Thanks, and God bless.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  2. TonyLi

TonyLi

The errors in the console are Error (red), Warning (yellow -- to me at least :)), Info (gray). Each script or component is free to categorize their messages however they want. A really annoying component could categorize everything as a red error, even purely informational messages. The built-in components categorize them pretty well, though.

As for the Animator component: On the model's Rig import tab, set the Animation Type to None. Then you won't have to remove anything.

The meanings are:

- None: Not animated. No Animation (legacy) or Animator (Mecanim) component.
    - Legacy: Animation component.
    - Humanoid: Animator (Mecanim) component.
    - Generic: Animator (Mecanim) component.