Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A thank you from a new user :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by zumwalt, Apr 21, 2007.

1. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks for making this engine, most importanly, thanks for making the engine web aware for the page that it is in! I am using script to do some troubleshooting on the client that downloads the game to show triggers and doing java alerts flawlessly.

This is the best purchase I have ever made!

2. David-Helgason

David-Helgason

3. Joe ByDesign

Joe ByDesign

welcome aboard ZumWalt!

4. zumwalt

zumwalt

Thanks,I am really impressed to the thought and layout of this engine. The concept of everything working against game objects as independent modules kicks so much booty.

Haven't figured out yet on how to do loot blobs yet, will spend this coming weekend on it, already have a heartbeat simulator written and what blows me away is the ability to attach multiple scripts to the same object, only attached C# scripts so far, but don't know if I can do both C# and Javascript scripts to the same object, or even JS, C# and Boo at the same time.

To anyone thinking about this engine, don't think, just BUY, on a scale of 1-10, I give it an 8 (I reserver 9 and 10 for networking ability results), 8/10 on my scale means out of the box you can write a kick butt single player game with little to absolutely NO programming skill what so ever.

How far did I get in the first 48 hours, that is a major factor! The editor is awesome (although the scripting editor without a smart index or type ahead feature kind of stinks for noobs, but I don't care about that for score)

No PDF version of the API is a downer, but not a show stopper. The API having mainly Javascript examples also is a pain, since I am used to C#, but it does have examples, so can't take away score for the language of choice in the manual.

This engine is all about creativity!
    The sky is the limit, literally. One of the downfalls is the package isn't broken down into components. Its all one package, atleast for the web, but what other system can boast that it works in almost any web browser? AND be page aware??? NONE that I am aware of.

The ability of using Ageia Physics at the level this engine does blows me away. Not to mention the simplistic point and click add physics collision and triggers, I mean totally WOW.

When this engine gets the ability to have built in networking with Mono in what ever version they bring it into, I would have to give it a 10/10. Even without seeing what they do, these chaps really know there stuff!

5. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

:D

I think most of us felt the same way you do, zumwalt, when we first got our hands on this great thing called Unity. I am still in awe. Welcome to a great community of folks.