Search Unity

Discussion A surprising editor.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Funwill, Nov 14, 2022.

1. Funwill

Funwill

Greets!

Just a word to mark my surprise to see drastic changes appearing day after day in my game configuration.

One night it works perfectly well, and the next day after reboot, either it doesn't work anymore, or the editor version has to be changed, or it becomes experimental, or now HDRP has to be installed...

I guess this is due to the assets I use, but there are no warnings with them. For example, I just added this useful asset (https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/realistic-fps-controller-free-223479) that adds great post processin effects. But when I started my project this morning, I had to wait for an HDRP wizard to change the whole configuration of my game, to make it unusable on linux... And nowhere a warning to warn me of such a change, either in the asset or elsewhere... And it was workin perfectly fine yesterday!

So jaded...

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  2. tleylan

tleylan

Sorry to hear that. Next time push a copy to your repository prior to making such changes. Restore from the repo if/when it messes up. You can BTW post a review and even email the author of the asset.

"It could break something" pretty much goes for every library update over the last 40 years.

3. Funwill

Funwill

Actually it doesn't seem to come from that asset. Started again with my backup (a mandatory safeguard, not stressed enough in gettin started i think. o_O), reinstalled the asset to check, and it works fine again. Can't say from where that HDRP install is comin... Had nothin alterin graphics so drastically in my creation this past few days, or even before.

What you mean restore from the repo?

4. tleylan

tleylan

One can stress backups and some folks still won't do it. If you aren't using a version control system (like Git) you should. You may already know but it stores a copy offline which is helpful but it also permits rolling backward through all the changes you've made.

Funwill likes this.
  5. Funwill

Funwill

Didn't really know about those version control system and that's a great tip you gave me. Thxs a lot!