Search Unity

A specific project, but where to start; from a total beginner.

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by IanSM, Nov 23, 2016.

1. IanSM

IanSM

Hi everyone.
    About me. I am pretty ancient, (over 50 and from the UK) and used to work in games industry in the 1990's using 3D Max etc, but for the last twenty plus years I have been completely out of touch,and have been working as an illustrator and writer.
    I am developing a book project and would like to use augmented reality across various platforms (ipad, iphone, android etc) but have no idea where to start, other than with Unity and Vuforia. Can anyone give me some basic pointers to get me going. I would like to be able to display 3d objects (static and animated), but also import pre-scanned additional text/images etc overlaid into specific regions of a page. I see from existing promo videos that this is achievable, but have no idea where to start. Any help would be great
    Many Thanks Ian SM, complete newbie.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

Hey Ian, don't worry, it will take a few weeks or months to get up to speed but you'll find Unity a pleasure to work with once you're over the hump.

The best place to begin is with the Learn link at the top of this page. It leads to a lot of tutorials; many of them are in video form, but if you look (and maybe google around a bit) you can still find written ones too. Go through those, following along step by step on your own computer. Don't worry about whether it seems to have anything to do with your own project; all the skills are related.

Good luck!

3. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

Welcome! So cool that you're getting back into development :)

Aside from the basics of the editor, Google render textures. you can compose your pages from various sources in a scene, then render that image as a texture using a camera and apply it to the pages of your book!

4. IanSM

IanSM

Thanks for pointers Joe. All the best

5. IanSM

IanSM

Hi Sarfaraazlladin, many thanks for the reply. All the best

6. SarfaraazAlladin

SarfaraazAlladin

No worries. Hope you have fun with your project