Search Unity

A solution for Unity to be a better MMO solution?

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Tecknowolf01, Mar 26, 2014.

1. Tecknowolf01

Tecknowolf01

I was researching large open terrain MMO engines and tricks when I came across Grit , an open source game engine. But it has features Unity seems to have issues with.

My question is, what is the technical difficulties and issues with a group working towards uniting both Grit and Unity so you could use Unity Assets with Grit.

Basically I love Unity, but it is lacking functionality when we get to the MMO scale games and I was looking for a viable work around.

Just wondering.

2. fholm

fholm

I'm not sure what your question is?

3. JamesPro

JamesPro

Grit is C++ built with Ogre3D and a bunch of other Opensource C++ Libraries. It would be FAR more work then it's worth to try and integrate Grit with Unity if it was even possible. In a couple days you could create your own Custom Terrain Engine that handles large Seamless Worlds with a Paging Manager that loaded and unloaded pages as the player moved around. I have an example nearly complete that just needs to be textured.

4. Tecknowolf01

Tecknowolf01

JamesPro,
    How goes your Custom Terrain Engine?

5. JamesPro

JamesPro

Not being much into coding Shaders I could never get the texturing correct. I tried getting splat maps working and failed miserably at it. I had it being colored different colors based on height which could all be configured in the material but of course that would never work for an actual game. It was still fun to run around or drive a car around a procedurally generated Infinite world though...

I now have a Asset Streaming Package just about ready for release called UniStream which has Streaming of Assets through Asset Bundles and Terrain Paging. It will also have a fix for floating point issues when you get too far away from the Origin.

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/asset-store-asset-streaming-plugin.247647/