Search Unity

A Slight Correction And A Question

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by FreedomDylan, Dec 29, 2017.

1. FreedomDylan

FreedomDylan

:) Hey there!

Alright. The problem regarding the survey has been solved now. I guess all we needed was a reboot. ;)

So now I have got a question...

Is it possible to make an animated film using Unity??

I'm actually asking because I am working on a script for an animated film about the English rock group Led Zeppelin. The film itself is called 'Friends'. There are a few flashback scenes and medieval scenes. But our main timeline falls between January 1969 and January 1970. The majority of the characters are made via Fuse. Here are stills of some of the characters:

The majority of the film takes place in London UK and the flat block where everyone lives has rooms that look like this:

{Although we would want a coat of arms on the wall and maybe a tapestry hahaha ;)}

A few more things...

First. Any way to animate imported chars with the Unity engine?? To be specific I need my characters to "talk" and "sing" among other things...

Second. This is a still of a FBX file that I uploaded recently into a program called Silo:

The hair is black.
    The eyes are green
    The figure is wearing a top with green and white vertical stripes
    Green pants
    White runners

And lack of
    colour isn't the only problem...

As you can see, the figure is in a lying-down position. Does that happen with Unity??

Get back to me on this please!
    Thanks so much!
    Dylan :)

2. orb

orb

Machinima with Unity is very doable now. Check out the blog section for more details on all the built-in and external tools for cut-scenes.

When you work with 3D models in modelling programs you also need to export materials (which is beyond the scope of this forum), but you won't be getting things which require shader effects. So for instance, if your model has glasses, semi-translucent gems, windows etc. it's not going to carry over. In addition you're sometimes going to have different units of measurement and various coordinate systems. In other words, which one is up of X, Y and Z can be a little confusing, and it may import at a strange scale :)

To find out how well your models import all you need to do is actually download Unity and just drop them into the hierarchy. It's free after all!

3. FreedomDylan

FreedomDylan

o_O Hey there...

Thanks. Now here's my next question...

Ok. Just imported one of the characters from my film into Unity via the "import asset" function. This is what it looks like:

It's supposed to look like this {minus the smile}:

I have a feeling that I may have uploaded this figure wrong or something. I wasn't able to import the actual folder for some reason. But was able to import the figure itself with all the details. Which I think is kind of odd. Any idea what might be going on?? How do we import an entire folder into Unity??

Get back to me on this,
    Thanks!
    Dylan o_O

4. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes. Unite had some talks covering the topic too.