Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A simple To-Do List - organize your next project right inside Unity [Released]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Oliver-Eberlei, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hi everyone,

1.3 Update
    I just submitted a massive update to the asset store.

I am too tired to explain everything right now, so I'll just post these screenshots here. Tomorrow I will create a video explaining all the new features.

1.2.1 Update
    I have uploaded version 1.2.1 which includes these changes:
    - Compatibility with 3.5
    - Comments are now selectable and copyable
    - Ability to copy/paste into search bar
    - Ability to copy/paste into settings fields

If you use Unity 3.5, especially the Pro version, I suggest you head over to the asset store and update your version.

1.2 Release Post
    I would like to introduce you to a small editor extension I have been working on: My To-Do List

It is a lightweight To-Do List you can use to organize your next project. Each task has a number of different variables you can adjust. The new version 1.2 introduces the ability to specify search tags and a status. Additionally each modification to the tasks status or developers is logged and can be commented to provide further information.

Since you can access all the data the task provides in the "Edit Task" window, you can keep the main window as clean as you want and only show the data you actually need in your overview.

There are also several different viewing options:
    - Drag the tasks to order them in a priority you define
    - Order by Description, Due Date or Time
    - Only display tasks assigned to specific categories or developers
    - Search the descriptions, categories, developers and custom tags to quickly get to the tasks you are looking for

There is also an optimized skin for Unity Pro users

Right now this version is intended for individuals but I am working on a PHP/MySQL based, remote solution for teams.

Click here to get to the project page

Let me know what you think and I hope I can help you to get the next project done in time :)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. iisjreg

iisjreg

wow, nice. Now, there are a LOT of to do lists in various forms out there, but an SQL todo list inside Unity is brilliant!

3. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hi everyone,

The new version 1.2 got added to the asset store and brings you the following changes:
    • Edit Task Window added
    • Task Status added with customizable workflow options and transitions between them
    • Task Activity is now logged
    • Moved Display Options to the top menu
    • Searchable Tags added for each Task
    • Fixed a bug where changes to a task were not saved (Thanks Dylan)

I also updated the above thread with new screenshots and info.

The next update will focus on online syncronization for your tasks. So it will be much easier to work with this tool in a team. I will raise the price from 5$ to 10$ once this feature is done, so get your copy of this list now while it's still insanely cheap :)

4. jeedee

jeedee

This is very cool, good job!

5. Gaspedal

Gaspedal

very usefull ;)

6. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

7. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Oliver,

Just a few ideas for your to-do list (if you think they are worthy) in no particular order

1. Support multi-line input in description field and editor window. Single line fine for actual to-do list
    2. You can currently filter by Status, Category and Developer. Would it be possible to support sort and/or in place (configurable) of filter?
    3. Would it make sense to have tasks numbered within categories. I am spoiled with OneNote which makes it very easy to indent/reorder items
    4. Be able to cut and paste in all input fields - (currently not working in search and settings input fields)
    5. I know your working on some back end support, could the local file format be json or something similar
    btw The drag and drop reordering is nice - I didn't notice it at first

Thanks

iByte

8. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Thanks for your suggestions.

A few comments:

1. Maybe I misunderstand this point, but I believe this is already implemented. Click on the edit button of a task on the far right (looks like a text editing cursor), in this window you have the ability to post multi line comments to further explain the task item.
    2. That should be possible, I have to think about how to include it in the interface without cluttering, but I'll put it on my to-do list :)
    3. You mean the task should not be numbered in total, but each category should start at 1? Hm. It would make sense if the categories would be re-implemented as a kind of folder system... I'll think about it.
    4. Interesting. I didn't know there is a difference for different text boxes. I'll check it out.
    5. I believe this will be automatically fixed when Unity 3.5 is released. Since they are working on a new file format for the scenes/prefabs/custom assets which is readable in plain text.

9. ibyte

ibyte

Ah .. yes I kind of glossed over that .. One down already :D

I guess I have always thought of to-do's management as being hierarchical - ala outliner style . Thanks for considering it

Cool I didn't know that.

Thanks

iByte

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

I bought this tool as well and can recommend it. However, I am waiting for it to be useful in bigger projects where a "team" can use this tool.

Thomas P.

11. ibyte

ibyte

Hi

Thomas, I found out about the to-do list app from your tweets ... Thanks:)

Oliver, found another issue. If I filter out the to-do's for one developer, then press play. I will see those todo's again so the filter is getting reset somehow.

Would also be nice to archive todo some how so they are nopt in the main list be still available for reference.

iByte

12. ibyte

ibyte

HI,

Can comments be editable? or even selectable? I entered 4 comments in the description of a task but I am not able to copy them back out to anything?

Edit: Color still says red when Due Date is adjusted out from original date.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  13. ibyte

ibyte

Hi Oliver, are you working on any kind of update?

iByte

14. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Yeah I would like to know as well if there is an update coming as I really like this little tool :)

15. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hi guys, sorry for the late reply.
    I am working on an update but I cannot name any date when it might be finished, since I am working on this in my free time and I always get distracted by new shiny projects I can do :) Also the sales are not so overwhelmingly good to justify me spending a lot of time on this project... sorry to keep you waiting but I will eventually release a team version, since I promised that earlier and some people may have bought it because of that promise. But still, I cannot name any specific date.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  16. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

There are some skin problems when you are using this tool with Unity 3.5 Pro.
    I cannot upload a patch supporting 3.5 right now since the asset store tools are not updated, yet.

Please download the following file and place the containing files into your /Assets/Editor/TodoList/ folder to fix the skin problems in 3.5.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3158375/downloads/TodoList.3.5.patch.rar

Cheers,
    Oliver

17. Retronamic

Retronamic

You should make this open source so people could learn from it. :)

18. Skjalg

Skjalg

Just create the update but wrap everything you do in #if UNITY_3_5 flags and submit using Unity 3.4.

19. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Skjalg: That worked perfectly. Thank you.

I have uploaded the new 1.2.1 version to the asset store, which is compatible with 3.5.

It also has some small fixes as suggested by iByte:
    - Comments are now selectable and copyable
    - Ability to copy/paste into search bar
    - Ability to copy/paste into settings fields

These changes were the easiest to implement at the moment, the other suggestions will need some redesign but are definately on the map.

20. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey everyone,

I have just submitted version 1.3 to the Asset Store and I hope it will be approved soon.
    Check the initial thread for details.

(Sorry there is still no remote support. I wanted to add all these features first. But now all my development efforts on this project will go towards the remote list implementation, I promise)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  21. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey everyone,

I have just submitted version 1.3 to the Asset Store and I hope it will be approved soon.
    Check the initial thread for details.

(Sorry there is still no remote support. I wanted to add all these features first. But now all my development efforts on this project will go towards the remote list implementation, I promise)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  22. exiguous

exiguous

i have purchased this tool recently and i'am happy i did. very nice tool to manage tasks, todos, bugs etc right inside unity. simple, intuitive + highly configurable interface. the only problem is the price is too low for what you get. so hurry before the author also notices this.

some feature requests/suggestions:
    make tasks childs of others and build a hierarchy of them.
    make the user defined entries (fe categories) manually sortable. i add topics when i need it and when the list grows longer they are hard to find. if i could sort them (fe alphabetically) manually (drag+drop, arrows) it would be easier.

23. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey exiguous, thanks for your kind words. I never know how much to charge for my projects. I was thinking about making a poll when I am done with the online/team version of this tool ;-)

Regarding the sorting: I believe this is already implemented. If you hover the numbers on the far left side of each task, you'll see a move arrow appear. You can drag the tasks to your hearts content. Also sorting by description, category, deveoper or each of the other columns is possible by clicking on the name of the column at the top.

Cheers,
    Oliver

24. exiguous

exiguous

I think you understood me wrong (sorry for my bad english). i know i can sort tasks manually and by category. what i suggest is beeing able to sort the categories themselfes. so when i go to settings, categories where i can add new ones or change their names or delete them it would help if i could also sort them as as i told if i have 30 categories in a work in progress order its hard to find the proper one in the dropdownbox when adding a task. alternatively the list could be sorted alphabetically automatically for easier lookup so when i add a category the order is changed accordingly right away. hope that makes sense to you. and this would apply to all of these editable lists.

25. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Oh I see. Thats a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

26. agentsmith

agentsmith

I haven't seen an update in a long time nor the server feature we were promised, anyone know if the author abandoned this product?

27. Oliver-Eberlei

Oliver-Eberlei

Hey agentsmith,

Not abandoned. Other projects and priorities got in the way. Whenever I have an hour to spare I am working on the server feature, but sadly it's coming along very slowly. I hope to get it done but I cannot promise any timeframe since I have other higher priority projects going on at the moment. Sorry about that.

28. agentsmith

agentsmith

That's unfortunate I really think this is a must have asset for Unity; If more people just tried it, it would become an absolute essential part of their projects. Before I was writing all my To-Dos to a text file or actual paper but it's unorganized. It's a brilliant idea; btw thanks for emailing me back with a fix and so far it's running nicely in Unity 4.1.

29. sereschkin

sereschkin

Keep up this good work and submit some updates. What I would to see: Subcategories, with a summarized progress in the parent category, depending on progress of children. Also I think lines in stats do not really look good. Maybe some kind of filled area is better. Just bought it and so far it is really a must have feature. It helped me continue on my project and stay motivated. ;)