Search Unity

Games A Simple Life Online

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ExDeaDguY, Feb 17, 2010.

1. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

- Update - 08.20.2019 -

Hi everyone, It's been about 9 years since I originally started development on this. I have been through many iterations, loss of interest and loss of source code. I have started work on this once again and have not stopped. I've been working on this for roughly 6 months now and would like to give a preview. Please Like, Follow, and Share the facebook page. Thanks!

Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/ASimpleLifeOnlineGame

Weather Update 8.24.19

There are more recent changes, but these are the videos currently available.

Thanks for your time!

---Updated March 31 2010---

Hello again everyone! Just wanted to post a little update letting the wonderful unity3d community see whats going on with this game!

So what I've added is:

-Menus
    -Ugly title screen
    -A new tool, Hammer
    -Build Mode, and construction!
    -some more models!

Anyways, heres some videos of the result. As always lemme know what you guys think and thanks for the feedback!

youtube]2HF95um1g28

If you have a Youtube account, be a pal and subscribe :).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2019
    Slaghton and tylerguitar75 like this.
  2. DavidB

DavidB

Very cool start. It definitely has some promise.

What are your plans for making it a challenge? What is the player's goal? Are they going to sell their plant products?

Anyways great start, keep us posted on your progress :D

3. Discord

Discord

I couldn't seem to find the sphere with the seeds. :?

4. Ayrik

Ayrik

Nice music, lol. I'm looking forward to seeing more.

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

Very nice start :)
    Like it

I though would cut out the WASD movement and instead use click movement as it is more userfriendly especially with something grid based etc :)
    I would back it up by the A* Pathing from Aron Granberg ( here ) to allow dynamic changes / obstacles in the world.

by the way: it has a bug :) if you throw seeds on an already growing field it still costs energy ;)

6. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thank you for all the replys!

DavidB - Right now the players challenge is unclear to me, I'm thinking of adding some sort of networking, although it will be small because its unity. having a small number of friends connect to a world shaped upon how the player plays is always a fun concept ^.^, But yes products will be able to be sold, and animals harvested for produce.

Dreamora - I like the idea with the click movement, although I think keyboard movement seems more fit for what I plan on adding later on in development >.<. Horse Races, and hunting, etc. I personally don't prefer click for action type events, but I could always add both for the players convenience!

Also, Yeah your suppose to lose energy either way! ^_^.

Sorry for the long post! Time to go add some more stuff! Thanks for the support!

7. MrHyde

MrHyde

It sounds cool! I wanted to see the demo but for some reason the link wouldn't open for me.

8. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello again everyone! Day 3 has passed and I'm back with an update!

The next update wont come for awhile since my next objective is to jam pack this with content! But, Here is the farming system up and 100% operational!

Some things have changed since the last post. Here are the new controls:

asdw - Move
    Click/F - Use Tool/Item
    Q Z - Tool+/Tool-
    I - Inventory - Not In Use Yet.
    E - Pickup/Drop

And here is the web player:

Hosted on Angelfire: Service sometimes is slow.
    http://www.angelfire.com/scary/defiance/Farmer.html

This is an alternate link, This has alot of downtime:
    http://egz.game-host.org/Dayandnight.html

If you haven't figured it out yourself, what ya do is... Dig some dirt, goto the hole while holding a seed bag and press the action button (click or f) and ta-da! Tomatoes grow in 3 days, harvest with E. (Big green ball is for fun!)

Tell me what ya'll think! ^.^

9. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello Everyone! Not sure if anyone is following this post or game, but! I'm going to post an update anyways! :p.

So far its been a week or so since I last posted an update, the farming system is coming along Great, and I'd like to share it with everyone! Some people have not been able to understand whats happening so i'm going to explain, You can only dig in the garden area! as well as plant there, to plant somthing you pickup a seed bag, then goto the spot to plant it and press F (Use Item, make sure you dig the dirt there first.)

Here it is :D.

http://egz.game-host.org/Farmer.html
    http://www.angelfire.com/scary/defiance/Farmer.html

One of those should work.

This Update:
    Added Textures Colors
    The terrain now changes according to season
    Planting fully works now
    you can eat grown veges
    camera controls

I've been working on very small things about an hour a day and this is the result, please keep in mind, I'm NO artist!

10. Ayrik

Ayrik

Good work! Nice response to the hot pepper, haha.

11. AlexZimich

AlexZimich

if you message me i can make a few things for your game, its a good idea honestly :p

12. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Just updated this thread at the top ^.^!

13. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

I really like the look of this, it is a very nice start, and the idea of being a farmer is novel to say the least. Can't wait to see more.

Good work, keep it up... just don't put anymore tractors on the roads when I'm trying to get to work!

Best Regards,
    Matt.

14. mts2021

mts2021

Definitely like where this is going.
    Would love to do a logo for this.
    Left you a PM! :)

15. pgpprogram

pgpprogram

Looks awesome, I subscribed!

16. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Thanks for the support and subscriptions! :).

17. VL3

VL3

Looks great. Music from Zelda?

18. mts2021

mts2021

Ha yeah that was Epona's Theme for sure.
    It made it chuckle when I heard it too.

19. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Yeah, lon lon ranch (I think thats the right name) Is awesome! ^.^

20. Essal

Essal

I've sent you a message on youtube^^ and subscribed.:)

Great work^ looks nice!

21. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hi everyone, It's been about 9 years since I originally started development on this. I have been through many iterations, loss of interest and loss of source code. I have started work on this once again and have not stopped. I've been working on this for roughly 6 months now and would like to give a preview. Please Like, Follow, and Share the facebook page. Thanks!

Facebook:

There are more recent changes, but these are the videos currently available.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  22. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

23. TechSinsN

TechSinsN

It’s great to see even after 9 years you still came back, looking great so far

ExDeaDguY likes this.
  24. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    tylerguitar75 likes this.
  25. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

26. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

27. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

28. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

More networking stability - Synced server authoritative weather and other tweaks.

tylerguitar75 likes this.
  29. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello Everyone. Here is an update of progress from the last week or so:

Season changing now happens. Summer / Winter are the seasons currently implemented.

I've began working on Animal AI. This will be a lengthy process, but here is the beginning results:

Like and follow on Facebook to stay up to date on any new updates!

Antypodish likes this.
  30. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

A bit more character customization. (Facial Hair). Also made adjustments to a lot of environment models. A large potion of the winter environment is now added which includes water that turns to ice, (Waterfall stops flowing causing a mine to open up), trees lose their foliage, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/ASimpleLifeOnlineGame/

Antypodish likes this.
  31. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

First iteration of customizing the hero. Only body and hair customization will take place on the title screen. Clothes must be obtained and equipped in game.

customization.png

eaque likes this.
  32. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello friends! Here is the latest update of ASLO:

The day / night system was stripped out due to performance issues and I rewrote it using a new technique. (Involving blending skyboxes and light manipulation). This new way has proven to perform better and offers more control. Here is a preview of dawn on a day that it is "lightly raining"

The inventory system is also being worked on. Items can now be picked up and stored in the backpack. Character customization has also been improved and now the full body changes can be seen by all players. (Shirt, pants, etc).

Containers are also in the process of being worked on. Our hero will start with no backpack and can carry only 1 item. (What he/she is holding). They will use baskets and boxes to transport goods. When a backpack is acquired, the space available will be limited causing containers to still be needed for selling large quantities of crops.

Thanks for reading!
    Please like and follow the Facebook page for more updates and to be included in the alpha testing invite list.
    https://www.facebook.com/ASimpleLifeOnlineGame/

33. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

34. warthos3399

warthos3399

@ExDeaDguY its good to come here and see you still continuing on with the game, progress looks great, concept is strong, and as we all say "its a WIP", rock on :)

ExDeaDguY likes this.
  35. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey man, Thanks for following this! It's awesome to see others actually viewing the content being shared, and thanks for the words of encouragement.

Yep this feels like its been a WIP for awhile. I'm sure it will keep being a WIP for some time to come as well, but someday I have faith that it be being played and enjoyed by many all over! :cool:

36. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone know that A Simple Life Online now has an official website.

https://asimplelifeonline.com/

This is under development along with the game. Currently right now all that works is the home page and the forums.

In the future, dev blogs, purchasing, testing sign up and more will appear on the new website :).

37. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hey everyone, just wanted to put this out there.. I am hosting a network testing event on Saturday @ 1PM EST. A download link will be provided on the facebook page and website ( asimplelifeonline.com ) Friday after 6PM EST. If you'd like to take part, feel free to grab a copy and join us!

Feedback has been added to the in game menu.

38. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

39. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello everyone! Just an update in regards to the network test.

We started off rough getting ports opened and allowing connections, but once that was resolved - the remaining players who waited around joined and tried out ASLO. It was a short session but gave plenty of insight into what needs to be improved and fixed. Here are some screenshots of the network test.

The testers have been added to the Special Thanks credits and future testers will continue to be added up until beta. The next test will take place in a few months. If you'd like to participate, keep an eye out and go like the facebook page to be notified of upcoming updates.

Thanks for reading!

Teila and Antypodish like this.
  40. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Hello everyone! Here is another video of ASLO with some upcoming features (Not fully implemented) such as radio, Energy (Bar is not yet displayed), and more. There are also some features and content that are in progress but not quite ready to be shown yet. Such as camera effects when entering doors and missing animations and animal AI.

Enjoy!