Search Unity

A rant about the sad state of UWP in Unity 2018.2 and 2018.3b

Discussion in 'Windows' started by FREEZX, Nov 18, 2018.

1. FREEZX

FREEZX

Hi.
    I've been working on my game for UWP on both Windows and Xbox One, and i'll use this thread to rant a bit about my experience so far.

Issues i found with 2018.2:

• Crash on controller disconnects - This is a big one and it is a major issue if trying to get certified for the store. I'm using Rewired Input manager across all platforms. It is very well supported, and i don't think the issue is on their side, the stack trace i managed to retrieve puts the blame on Unity:
    • The exact same issue has also been reported here two months ago: https://shadowndacorner.com/2018/09/03/fixing-a-bug-in-unitys-input-system-by-building-for-release/. Even though a fix was in the works since two months ago, 2018.2.15 still has the issue, and i don't see it in the 2018.2.16 release notes.

Issues with 2018.3:

TL;DR:
    Cannot ship UWP IL2CPP on any recent versions of Unity.
    Unity pls fix

Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

Are you shipping on HoloLens/Windows Mixed reality? If not, there's a workaround posted for the first issue. And I don't think LWRP was supported for VR in 2018.2 in the first place.

I'll find out what happened with the controllers issue - I know there was a fix somewhere, I reviewed the code change personally. I'll get back to you.

The fix for the animation issue is in flight and is coming to 2018.3. It turned out to be a bug in Microsoft's C++ compiler generating bad code with all optimizations enabled - we changed the code a little bit to make it happy.

By the way, none of these issues are related to IL2CPP in any way.

3. FREEZX

FREEZX

No, i'm not shipping on HoloLens / Mixed reality, and i still had the LWRP crash. I never touched anything in the XR settings, and the issue went away when i removed the render pipeline. Chose to avoid render pipelines on UWP for the time being, although it would be nice to be synced across platforms. The bigger issue for me here though was the controller crash.

I finally rolled back to 2018.1.9 and the game refused to shut down properly, although everything else seems to be stable, but i found a workaround:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/uwp-il2cpp-application-quit-does-not-work.547201/

I'm just super annoyed fixes for bugs like these don't make it back to older versions. When i'm not on a cutting edge beta i expect things like exiting the application to work properly.

I retract my statement about IL2CPP.

4. FREEZX

FREEZX

Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
  5. FREEZX

FREEZX

Just got confirmation from QA that the note on the issue is incorrect, it happens on regular UWP apps.

6. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

You're very right, it reproduces without VR. I'm chasing the fixes now and I will make sure they land in 2018.2.

7. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

The fixes landed to 2018.2.19f1.

8. FREEZX

FREEZX

Good to hear! Can't wait to try it out!

9. Immu

Immu