Search Unity

A prefab somehow lost its way out of its asset file

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by pixelthis, Aug 12, 2010.

1. pixelthis

pixelthis

I am getting a LOT of these. What does it even mean?

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

With Unity 3 or 2.6.1?

3. pixelthis

pixelthis

2.6.1 free on windows Vista. I am also having this error all the time (user-mapped section open). Might be related?

4. thinkyhead

thinkyhead

I just started getting these in the latest Unity 3. Thought I might hand edit the project file, but first see if there's a known solution. Googling....

5. shinriyo_twitter

shinriyo_twitter

3.4.1f5

I also get the bugs!!!

6. Smooth Curves

Smooth Curves

Same here 3.4.0f5 "A prefab somehow lost its way out of its asset file. Ignoring it. Save your scene and next time you launch the editor it will be gone."

7. ZoomDomain

ZoomDomain

Same here, i load 4 cubes into a code made prefab and it seems to work flawlessly, the prefab is ok.

Code (csharp):
    1.         ino.transform.parent = big.transform;
    2. }
    3.     var prefab : Object = EditorUtility.CreateEmptyPrefab("Assets/combination/pack1.prefab");
    4.     EditorUtility.ReplacePrefab(big, prefab, ReplacePrefabOptions.ConnectToPrefab);
    and the error log reads this:
    the referenced script on this behaviour is missing (6 times)
    and
    Code (csharp):
    1. Unloading 655 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 499.
    2. System memory in use: 166.2 MB.
    3. Unloading 2 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 1 / Dirty serialized files: 1)
    4. Updating assets/temporary/pack1.prefab - GUID: 5cf16c3e00f415a4189855fda68246a0...
    5.  done: hash - 51109f9e4d3ce748343f3100918d0495
    6. A prefab somehow lost its way out of its asset file. Ignoring it. Save your scene and next time you launch the editor it will be gone.
    8. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Runtime/Misc/SaveAndLoadHelper.cpp Line: 1146)
    10. A prefab somehow lost its way out of its asset file. Ignoring it. Save your scene and next time you launch the editor it will be gone.
    12. (Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/6bc5f79e0a4296d6/Runtime/Misc/SaveAndLoadHelper.cpp Line: 1146)
    14. A prefab somehow lost its way out of its asset file. Ignoring it. Save your scene and next time you launch the editor it will be gone.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  8. WarpZone

WarpZone

Should I assume that the lack of conversation and a fix means that the situation isn't as dire as the error message makes it sound?

I like the prefab that was highlighted under the Project view when I got this error message. I use it a lot. It is referenced by scripts in my project. If it gets deleted the next time I start Unity, I'll need to first build the prefab again from the ground up, and then plug it into all the scripts that reference it all over again. And then likely debug because the result might be slightly different from what I built the first time. Not a fun time!

Unless, of course, this error doesn't mean what I think it means.

Saving and exiting Unity now, fingers crossed...

9. WarpZone

WarpZone

Yep, it's fine.

For the record (I.E. for the benefit of Future Humans who google this error message and get this thread,) this error message apparently does not mean "we will delete one of the prefabs in your project the next time you start Unity." I don't know what it does mean, but it's not that.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  10. psk

psk

LMFAO :) Then get a bit angry at unity. then LFMAO again.