Search Unity

A Poll About Unity Project Files

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Murgilod, Nov 11, 2018.

?

If you are downloading a complete Unity project for whatever reason, what do you prefer?

Poll closed Nov 18, 2018.
  1. .unitypackage file

33.3%
  2. Project folder

50.0%
  3. Both

16.7%
  1. Murgilod

Murgilod

I'm thinking about releasing a game for free and instead charging for its project files. I don't plan on doing this as a career by any means, but more to offset costs of store listings. If you were to buy something like this, which would you prefer?

2. N1warhead

N1warhead

Wouldn't it be a *.unitypackage?
    Or are you talking about something else? But, if that is what you mean't, then I'd rather do a .unitypackage as it imports everything the way it should, can ignore things I don't want, etc.

xVergilx likes this.
  3. Murgilod

Murgilod

Aw nuts, thanks for catching the typo for me, fixed.

N1warhead likes this.
  4. Antypodish

Antypodish

Doesn't seams to be fixed, if meant to change poll to #1 option to unitypackage.

I think unity project is safer and may be at least for me, more user friendly, in simple zip, 7z compression. User can extract any files at will, without worry of Unity version compatibility in future. Or not needing Unity at all.
    Also, as project folder, I think you can drop files in some repository.

Rotary-Heart likes this.
  5. Murgilod

Murgilod

haha, crap, I typoed the typo. And I seem to be past the edit grace period. WEll that sucks.

6. xVergilx

xVergilx

Unity Asset Store would not accept it probably, if it's not whole project hierarchy. Might be worth while re-reading the distribution terms.

As for the rest, .7z, .zip, .unitypackage all seems fine to me. Alternatively - repository read access might be an option as well.

7. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

A .git repo. Most of the time I'm not actually interested to download the whole project.

xVergilx and Antypodish like this.
  8. Murgilod

Murgilod

Oh, this isn't for the asset store. I'm just tossing this up on various PC storefronts with the base game for free and the project files itself for $5 as DLC. It's basically a way for me to offset the very minor costs of making a game that I want to give away for contextual reasons (Christmas, gifts and all that).

xVergilx likes this.
  9. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

FTFY

Antypodish likes this.
  10. AlanMattano

AlanMattano

.unitypackage file
    and Unity version (unitypackage was done) so that then I can update to latest.