Search Unity

Question A plea to the light experts !

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by Socks, Apr 8, 2023.

1. Socks

Socks

Not sure if this is the right forum / sub forum (there's no specific 'lighting' one) . . . but here goes.
    First up I'm a complete noob / idiot, so I could be doing any number of things wrong !

Ok, I have an object being moved around a scene, I have directional light (settings posted below as an image), but the shadow appears to fall off outside of a certain area (see GIF), I've tried all sorts of things, moving the light, changing the angle of the light (it changes the angle of the shadow, but the 'fall off' stays in place).

I'm really struggling with this one !

Any input really appreciated !

2. icauroboros

icauroboros

There is a Shadow Max distance setting on URP asset which is on your project folder.

Socks likes this.
  3. Socks

Socks

Thanks for the reply icauroboros, appreciated.

I think I found the setting ! Project > Assets > Settings > URP-HighFidelity ?

I was hoping it would be possible for the object to always have a shadow, regardless of where it is in the scene . . . so is there any disadvantage to putting the Shadow Max distance setting to some crazy high value (like 20,000,000) ?

4. impheris

impheris

bad performance?

5. Socks

Socks

Thanks.

This forum is like squeezing blood out of a stone, lol . . . . back to chatGPT for me, I'll see if our new robot overload can share any insights.

6. DEEnvironment

DEEnvironment

look within the Universal Render Pipeline Asset settings for lighting and shadow settings
    for shadows try increasing the cascade count

also, you may wish to play about with the lighting shadow resolution later as you add more additional lights in your project.

Socks likes this.
  7. Socks

Socks

Thanks for the reply, I'll play around with some settings and see how it effects things . . . .

Also think I need to watch a few Youtube tutorials on the basics of how lights and shadows work in Unity.