Search Unity

Official A new Hub release is now available

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Michael-Ryan

Michael-Ryan

I'm hoping to use a stable Hub 3 at some point, but I reverted back to 2.4.5 when Hub 3 consistently crashed or failed to open.

You can find information how to get an older Hub release here: Unity Hub 3.0 fails to open

KarlGG likes this.
  2. bcin3d

bcin3d

Hi Sailendu, just a heads up if you're having trouble finding the old installer like I was. Looks like they removed the link in the past couple weeks. If you use archive.org to find an older version of the homepage, the link to 2.4.5 still works. I needed it for some projects I'm working on and that was the only way I could find it. Good luck, my friend.

3. Sailendu

Sailendu

Thanks for the reply, actually I downloaded 2.4.5 from archive.org, and it runs fine when I run for the first time, but the issue is when I run it again later, it upgrades automatically to 3.x.x.

linnspitz likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

Instead of using an old version, you should fix the problems you have with the new one.

As for avoiding automatic updates, there is a Unity Hub updater folder somewhere in AppData; the same should exist in Mac installs too. Delete it, problem fixed.

5. BYKD0

BYKD0

Oh? Great.
    Can't open projects with new hub uninstalled now all editors are gone :|

6. Sailendu

Sailendu

How can I fix the problems in the new HUB? Sorry I could not understand what you mean.

7. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

8. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Another auto-update. Unity, give us the option to disable auto-updates. Respect your users.

Just filed this as a bug report via Unity Hub.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2022
  9. Simoxeh

Simoxeh

I don't know if I found a bug/bad design or if I'm doing something wrong. I noticed this last time I did an install, the version before this one, but now I'm sure of it. I don't check this site often enough to know when an update or new version has been released, so I usually find out when my project opens with the notification. I click on install new version and it takes me to the site and I install the new version, BUT the version I just downloaded isn't available in Unity Hub. it's in my programs files, but not on the Hub. Now when I go to the Hub and install from there it shows up once it finishes downloading as expected. I noticed the file created by the hub has a different name then the one created by the download. This is weird.

I'm confused why a download from the site doesn't work? If that's intentional, I'd rather the notification inside Unity send me to the Hub install or tell me to install from the hub. I'm good because I figured it out, but how many people have extra installs on their devices because of this. It took me two times to figure this out and only because I'm toying around with projects and constantly opening new ones, so I always see the versions I have.

If anyone else is downloading from the site directly and not getting this issue please let me know, so I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

10. L82093

L82093

I have followed all advice on here and I am still having the same license issue a lot of others are reporting. I can not load Unity or do anything with my projects. This is incredibly frustrating.

I wish I had the option of downloading previous versions of the hub that were working properly to avoid unstable releases from being forced onto me in the future.

KarlGG and Sailendu like this.
  11. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Where can I switch to the light scheme?

12. unity_0099BD2C02B7BB446C77

unity_0099BD2C02B7BB446C77

There is no way we can go back to the old theme this is what I have realized now so I am getting used to this new version which is really hard to work in. The dark mode I was expecting was not like this it was simpler so now as no option left.:(o_O

13. JesOb

JesOb

Just tested HUB 3.1 Long waited Rename Feature :(

And this is absolute nonsense :(

Do Unity think that we wait few years be able to rename project folder not from explorer/finder?

Current nonsense kills repository structure and is not what we waiting for! Unity!
    We need renaming that will not rename any folder!!!

KAJed likes this.
  14. JesOb

JesOb

Please Unity just NEVER touch this
    upload_2022-2-11_6-2-10.png

15. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

I dunno, why would you even use this if the project folder wouldn't be changed? How I see that's the whole point here. If you only want to change the visual name of the executable,there's already a setting for it on your project settings...

Unless I'm missing something, this is exactly what I have wanted to have for years...

Also it's not like you would be renaming your important project folders all the time, only when you really need to - and this feat should be very handy for it then.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
  16. esteban16108

esteban16108

Same here, can't start it.

17. JesOb

JesOb

It is good that you satisfied with this feature glad for you :)

But it dont address issues with 100500 project with the same name in any way like this:

Just because the all is the same repository or other company rules that dont allow you to change project structure.
    And changing project name (folder name) always was easy but changing display name always was impossible and this is why we need Unity to do this.

see:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/renaming-projects.514061/

To address this we need exactly display name that is separate from any folder names and others.

KAJed and DarekRusin like this.
  18. rz_0lento

rz_0lento

Just to be clear, what this feature does atm is it renames the project folder and updates Hub's project list with the new name. Before this change to do the same you had to manually:

- change the folder name from OS file explorer
    - go to hub and find the project there and remove it
    - then add it again there with the new name

with the new change you can do all that on single go and I find it very handy, considering I do have tons of test projects I've originally named whatever (but they NEVER have been plain "Unity" by name which would be impossible to identify, I mean who does that?)

So how I see it, the issue here is that Hub is indeed only picking the project folder name as project name it lists and some people would want to rename that. I can see the point in that, but that's different functionality from the folder rename which definitely has it's own uses. One thing that could be nice there if the Hub actually picked the project name you set for the product but apparently it doesn't do it today.

But basically the request here would be to create some alias for the project name on hub if it differs from folder name?

19. JesOb

JesOb

mgear likes this.
  20. JiangBaiShi

JiangBaiShi

Honestly, this new version of Unity Hub is the worst piece of s**t I ever used. It's extremely unstable, everything crashes and even the most important feature - personal liscense activation, is not working. The activation button just freezes and refuse to respond, after reinstall hub and wait for an hour, a personal liscense strangely pops out... Why do you guys make everything so hard?

Deleted User likes this.
  21. JiangBaiShi

JiangBaiShi

It's not only awful, it's just a piece of sh*t they force our developers to eat

22. KarlGG

KarlGG

Grey on grey is impossible to read, and the font they chose had to be picked by someone who sits 6 inches from the screen, uses a 40+ inch monitor, or both.

Personally, I'd like to never use the hub again. File->New/Open Project was better than this nonsense.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2022
    Spectragate likes this.
  23. I'm sorry, but company rules which aren't taking into consideration the tools you're using are BS. I know what you're doing, I use the same technique, you are using the outer folder as root of your repo. Just stop calling the folder "Unity" and you're done. If your company has a rule against this, fight for the change, it is a BS rule, goes against how Unity works and worked forever.
    I always name my project folder "project name" even inside of the similarly named root repo folder. My rule is if I'm in "MyProject", the "MyProject" folder is the unity project folder. Simple and effective and doesn't try to fight how unity works.

24. JesOb

JesOb

Dont be so confident.

There are many more tools and many more projects in company than single one and you dont want to create all CI/CD separate for every project. You want all company projects to have similar structure to be able to create scripts once and use everywhere.

Few years ago we just drop this BS to have unique names for each project, and create single tooling and scripts for all of them and dont have so match pain for now. Last one is Unity project names based on Folder names.

Additionally your idea dont help with 10+ repo copies on CI/CD side you will just have 10+ project with you loved name:
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever
    My Best Game Ever

in hub.

Same on dev side when working with networked game and many more another cases :)

KAJed likes this.
  25. MrG

MrG

On the Installs tab where it lists the various versions installed / available, would it be so hard to add a "Release Notes" to the gear drop down that would open a browser to the release notes page for that release version? Yes, I know I can dig several clicks from the archive link to get there, but a direct link from that gear dropdown would really be nice.

26. It's just mind-blowing for me.
    So you built the wrong tools on the wrong premises and now you expect Unity to swallow the development cost because your tools can't handle how Unity works. How your tools are good for the job again? This is nonsense. You don't start to handle 3D objects on the way they don't work normally and expect Autodesk to change Maya because of you, personally or Blender to change because of you. Change your tooling to work with Unity's standard, it is simple. Or use @mgear's excellent open source tool, if you wrote all your custom tooling anyway, it's just one more little step.

mariandev and Luxxuor like this.
  27. mahsve

mahsve

Download beta version: https://public-cdn.cloud.unity3d.com/hub/prod/beta/UnityHubBetaSetup.exe

28. Game-Savvy

Game-Savvy

@Everyone REQUEST: Support UnityHub as an AppImage or FlatPak

This is a simple request towards Unity, to support the UnityHub as an AppImage or a Flatpak, that way Unity will be readily available to any flavor of Linux you might want to use.

The previous UnityHub is supported as an AppImage, but the new V3 is not, it only supports Debian based and RHEL(CentOS end of life already) distros. There are several other much more puopular Desktop distros that are not supported at the moment, Manjaro, Garuda, Arch, etc...

Supporting UnityHub as an AppImage or FlatPak will allow Unity to only maintain 1 package system, spending fewer resources and it will also make Unity Readily available to any Linux Distro.

Please UpVote (Like) this post, to show support on this petition.

Thank You.

Some images from popular distros over the last year, and steam stats on Linux Systems
    upload_2022-2-17_10-55-24.png
    upload_2022-2-17_11-0-40.png

Attached Files:

twaananen likes this.
  29. shohan4556

shohan4556

I am using macbook m1, after installing new Unity Hub I can process the license, keep getting this License error.
    it is been 3 days I am stuck.
    There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection.
    https://prnt.sc/plEWpRg8vEjG

30. twaananen

twaananen

I wholeheartedly support this request! Please Unity move to releasing the Hub on Linux as AppImage or Flatpak!
    I don't know the reason for abandoning AppImage releases, but Flatpak would be a great alternative.

31. SpockBauru

SpockBauru

Last edited: Mar 1, 2022
  32. incubusraziel

incubusraziel

same problem here

33. scottdev333

scottdev333

Is there are way to go back to 2.4.5? This is wasting so much of my time trying to resolve. Given this was released in early January and an issue this severe still exists, I'm not clear on why you would be prompting people like myself to update.

34. scottdev333

scottdev333

I was able to find 2.4.5 version of the unity hub at archive.org

Just go there and use this url for the wayback machine - https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download - I chose Aug 26 of 2021 and chose the latest snapshot. I hit the download hub button and it took a while to download, but it was the 2.4.5 hub luckily.

installed and it works fine. What I learned? Don't ever do a Unity update of any kind unless you are willing to lose at least one day of time, potentially more.

35. sakunix

sakunix

no open
    upload_2022-3-8_22-57-30.png

36. khrysller

khrysller

what is going on with unity hub creating a txt file WITH LOVE FROM AMERICA on the desktop?

37. SpockBauru

SpockBauru