Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official A new Hub release is now available

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Jan 10, 2022.

1. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

A new Hub release is now available

We're thrilled to announce that today we have released the latest version of Unity Hub (version 3.0). In this release, you’ll find an improved UX, workflow improvements, and new features — all designed to improve your productivity.

Before we jump into the details of this release: thank you to our beta users for sharing your feedback, thoughts, and ideas with us so that we can make sure we are meeting your needs and expectations.

What’s new in the Unity Hub?

The following list highlights some of the newest features and updates. For the full list of updates, take a look here.

Download Manager
    The new Download Manager gives you increased control and information on your downloads to help you monitor progress, see additional download details and controls, and facilitate troubleshooting when you find errors.

Remote Project Management
    Open and share remote projects for enhanced collaboration with your teammates.

Secure Standard Authentication
    With this release, you’ll experience a more secure and standard web sign-in flow, which includes a one-time sign-in/out to access Unity Hub, Dashboard, and Editor through the browser.

New User Interface
    Enjoy a new, modern look and feel - including a dark mode interface.

Hub Support for Linux
    A more streamlined workflow has been created for Linux users to install and access the Unity Hub. Check out this post for more information.

Apple silicon Support
    We have brought macOS development workflows natively to M1 with Editor support for Apple silicon. You can now access the Apple silicon builds directly from the Unity Hub. For more information, see here.

Getting started

New users
    • To learn more about the Unity Hub and what it can do for you, take a look here.

Existing Hub users
    • The Hub uses automatic updates so you should see a prompt to restart the Unity Hub to access the latest version. Follow the instructions and the latest version will be installed.

• If you do not see this prompt, see this resource to review your configurations.

If you experience an issue, please file a bug report directly in the Hub by selecting your profile icon > Troubleshooting > Report a bug.

Stay tuned for what’s next

More information on the Unity Hub can be found in our documentation. Find out what we are working on and share your ideas with us by viewing the Unity Hub roadmap, or leave us your feedback here.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

At last! :D

Deleted User likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm sorry @Gennady I don't see this any 'Apple Silicon' native ...
    Am I missing something ?

1.png
    3.png

Ochyming likes this.
  4. SniperED007

SniperED007

Tested on Windows 11

I upgraded to v3 this morning and it throws a critical error on launching the Hub, after clicking retry it just opens a blank non responsive screen:

upload_2022-1-11_9-47-51.png

I've tried uninstalling and re-installing and deleting the Unity Hub and UnityHub folder in "C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming"

5. SniperED007

SniperED007

solved... one of my projects was on a drive that could not be accessed on an external hard drive, once plugging it back in it worked.

Here it the error from the logs:
    {"level":"error","message":"[\n \"Error: UNKNOWN: unknown error, open ....."

6. Contrasan

Contrasan

It does not recognize my personal license, it is not active, it does not work at all, when opening the editor, license error, unusable!.
    manual activation does not work either.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

Look for "Unity_lic.ulf" in your system. Quit the Hub from the tray first, delete the "Unity_lic.ulf" and then restart the Hub.

Alidsf likes this.
  8. Contrasan

Contrasan

Thank you very much, I already tried that but the folder even empty does not create a new license for me either automatically or manually, closing or uninstalling the hub, and I am not being able to return to the previous version of the hub either.
    My internet and everything is correct but it does not activate me either manually or automatically, or reinstalling everything, the same
    Desktop_2022_01_11_14_54_30_758.jpg

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    shohan4556, Lafalmme and sab_the_cat like this.
  9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Congratulations, Unity! A new era has just started :D

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Especially for us, Linux users! :D

Windows, Mac?

Did you really close the Hub from the tray? Restart your computer? Delete the "Unity Hub" folders entirely, including the "UnityHub" one before restarting the Hub? For Wndows, those are in AppData Local and or Roaming; I don't know for Mac.

Deleted User likes this.
  11. cittaviolenta

cittaviolenta

Hi,

This just auto updated whilst i was in the middle of a project.

The new hub doesn't work for me. I just get a blank black screen.

I'm on OSX El Capitan.

How can i go back to the previous version of the hub? That was working fine. I really didn't need an auto update at this time...

Thank you

12. SuhailaDehis

SuhailaDehis

I have the same issue, just a black screen , tried removing all unity hub related folders and restarting but it didn't work.
    Kinda wish I hadn't updated. I am on Windows 10

13. pascalenos

pascalenos

It does not recognize my personal license, it is not active, it does not work at all, when opening the editor, license error, unusable!.
    manual activation does not work either.

Attached Files:

14. Sailendu

Sailendu

Unity HUB 3.0.0 does not seem like final and production ready, many users are reporting issues here, so I don't want to update now, also I need to install HUB in a new Mac, is there any way to download the previous stable version 2.4.5?

bsdrago likes this.
  15. Baste

Baste

After asking you for literally years, you finally added a feature in Hub 2 that allowed us to automatically download a missing Unity version instead of having to go to the download archive.

That feature is the single reason I can see for the Hub actually existing.

As far as I can tell, you removed that feature for Hub 3.

Are you planning to bring it back? It's not in the Roadmap.

16. Deleted User

Deleted User

I don't get why it's now out of Beta; by the number of problems we have it should have still be in the beta state.
    Any ETA on the next update ?

besttof and Sailendu like this.
  17. Gordon_G

Gordon_G

Please bring us the ability to turn on Light Mode! I find dark mode difficult to read.

Viole, hwushy, EvOne and 1 other person like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

For anyone out there and for future users who are having problems with Unity Hub, this guide should square you away:

If you are in a Windows machine, you should do the following:

Delete Unity & Unity Hub from:
    • Program Files
    • Program Files (x86)
    • ProgramData (you should enable hidden files to see it)
    • C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Unity
    • C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\LocalLow\Unity
    • C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Roaming\Unity
    - You should also delete all Unity entries from the Registry.

Edit: Don't forget also to clear all clear-able files possible, found in:
    • C:\Windows\Prefetch
    • C:\Windows\Temp
    • C:\Users\YourUsername\AppData\Local\Temp

Reboot your system and then do a clean reinstall of Unity Hub & Unity. The problems should be gone.

If you are on an OS other than Windows, see the guides for the respective system for where files are stored.

Clarification:
    You can NOT download previous versions of Unity Hub, as Unity itself doesn't provide links/archive to previous versions. You can Only install the latest version, 3.0.0 as of writing this post.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2022
    Salzian and Deleted User like this.
  19. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

If only... mine was a brand new install (no previous user of Unity), fresh download, fresh everything. Upon first install, problem with the license activation as specified in the other topic. For the sake of thoroughness, I've uninstalled everything again, downloaded the Hub installer anew, started the whole process again. Same problem, cannot activate automatically, cannot activate manually. I'm on mac fwiw, but other people are having the same problem on different systems too. Bit of a shame that one cannot download a previously known-good version (from what I could gather v2 didn't have that problem) when the new one is clearly flawed. Wish they would ETA or at least officially acknowledge that there's a problem and that they're actively working to solve it, but there's been no word so far. Right now this piece of software is the digital equivalent of a paperweight, can't do anything without an active license so...

tea_n_cake likes this.
  20. tea_n_cake

tea_n_cake

I couldn't get the package manager to show "My Assets" so bounced the Unity Hub, as this has sometimes has fixed this problem and annoyingly the Unity Hub automatically installed this new version. Now I can't access many of my purchased assets. They now show a red icon with and exclamation mark in them and show the message:-

" An error occurred - unable to get purchase details because you may not have purchased this package".

The asset I was trying the install failed to install properly and now when I try and use the Import button for that asset comes up with a message "Nothing to import - All assets for this package are already in your project" even though there is no trace of the asset in my project folder.

How can I get back to the older functioning version of Unity Hub? This is completely unworkable!

I am using a Mac.

forzabo likes this.
  21. pascalenos

pascalenos

Hi, I have tried all the instructions you mention and nothing is still without being able to enter a license. Thanks for the help, regards.

22. forzabo

forzabo

This is a f*cking nightmare! I can't access any projects, can't enter our license. I'm dead in the water.

Lafalmme likes this.
  23. oguzcngz95

oguzcngz95

when i try to add a license hub says "There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection." However my connection is completely fine. So i tried the manual way, that did not work either. I just reinstalled windows on my pc this morning and when i installed unity this happened. Cant find a solution anywhere. It's been hours, oguz is getting upset.

24. forzabo

forzabo

mariandev and XDDev like this.
  25. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

Wow.

I am so happy I decided to research if Unity Hub 3.0.0 was actually good or not.
    I nearly just upgraded to 3.0.0 (because hey, 3.0.0!) and if I did I would have totally killed my productivity! o_O

Barely dodged that bullet. Whew. :oops:

Anyway,
    I just want to wish massive thank you to all in this thread for taking the hit and testing 3.0.0.
    There are many people (myself included) that will now be able to escape another one of Unity's botched releases because of your early-adopting efforts! :D

Thank you all for your service! *Salutes*

forzabo likes this.
  26. forzabo

forzabo

In my case, my service was compulsory; I was drafted. The hub updated all by its awful little self; AFAIK there is no setting exposed to prevent it from auto-updating. (If there is, someone please let me know where it is buried so I can make sure this experience doesn't repeat)

The new hub 3.0 experience is truly truly awful compared to the old. I don't know if it's because it requires gobs of internet to be performant (I have pretty meh service) or what, but the stupid thing takes forever to load and then of course bricks as I try to get it to accept my license.

JiangBaiShi and NotaNaN like this.
  27. Andrew-Carvalho

Andrew-Carvalho

A minor issue, but could the hub show what platform a project is currently targeting?

It provides a very nice popup to choose both a different editor and platform, which is an improvement, but it just says "Current Platform" instead of having the actual platform toggled. Are there any plans to update the UI to be more specific?

Related, but not new, some target platforms simply aren't listed even though they aren't installed. Will that ever get addressed?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
    EvOne likes this.
  28. XDDev

XDDev

29. unity_xipO0byitQDp-Q

unity_xipO0byitQDp-Q

I can not open Unity since the Hub auto updated to the new version. (Big Sur) I have to reinstall the old hub every day in order to run Unity. :/

Please stop auto updating the Hub and ask people before they update.

forzabo and EvOne like this.
  30. sab_the_cat

sab_the_cat

I agree it should be on a simple opt-in option, thought there's a way to disable auto-uptades for those who are having problems with the new version. See the following post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/hub-3-0-0-cannot-activate-licenses.1223058/#post-7808634
    I'm not recommending turning it off forever, but at least as a temporary solution until they figure out a way to properly fix this new version.

NotaNaN likes this.
  31. milox777

milox777

Seems to work fine for me, the only bug I found so far is Hub not cleaning up the installer files in the AppData/Local/Temp (lots of folders named like 'unityhub-e4a8ce50") I have to remove them manually.

EvOne and Deleted User like this.
  32. thecoch

thecoch

the unity hub does not remember any installation of unity, every time I restart Unity Hub, I have to re-locate the Unity installation path.

33. bsdrago

bsdrago

Im unable to run UnityHub. Alawys with CRITICAL ERROR.
    I dont know even how to report this issue since no helpful message shows

Attached Files:

34. Check the logs and report what you find there.

35. bsdrago

bsdrago

I already tried! In log files, I did not found any error message. In Task Manager, I only find a CRITICAL ERROR and (you can see part behind the windows) a BLACK BLANK SCREEN.

I already delete all %appData% and other stuff , installing everithing again. No Success.

Attached Files:

36. XDDev

XDDev

The 3.0.0 update worked for me today on windows 10 by downgrading to 2.4.5, manually removing all the projects listed in the hub, then reinstalling the 3.0.0 update.

I had already tried deleting all the files I could find in program files, appdata, and temp folders (I didn't check the registry), and desperately tried this based on what SniperED007 said earlier about the inaccessible hard drive.

Hope it will help some of you.

37. BrainAndBrain

BrainAndBrain

Like other users, I ask that you respect your users and allow us to disable auto-updates. Production software should never auto-update, for obvious reasons. This needs to be an option.

38. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

Hub 3.0 just installs silicon Unity editors. the Hub itself isn't silicon yet :(

39. EvOne

EvOne

Option "Back to the Light" - missing in the settings!

-Then it does not "including", but: "we will Force You!"

But I don't want to "Enjoy" a non-alternative option that I don't like and do not need!
    (and your cookies - I do not need too)

Save my eyes!
    (and eyes all those who are not chasing new-fashioned trends)

-Add the choice of LIGHT theme!

unnamed.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
    Viole and hwushy like this.
  40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Meh ... I guess I fell down for the Pepsi Marketing; I'm ashamed ...

41. Game-Savvy

Game-Savvy

This is great thank you very much, I've been using Unity in Linux (Manjaro) Full-time for a few years now, and we've been rocking the AppImage, it works flawlessly.

Is there an estimation on when will there be official support for Arch based Systems? or even better, when the AppImage will be available? or Flatpak?

Since the new Hub is only supported on Debian and Redhat systems, and the Arch based lot can only run the older 2.4.6 version from an App Image or Flatpak, even the AUR is a bit outdated.

Thank you very much for the support.

42. roka

roka

I had no problem with Unity hub with the 2.x.x version. I got a new computer, then installed the 3.x.x and now...... ==>

GG

43. Contrasan

Contrasan

Completely Broke Licensing in win 10 v3 and beta 7!!! unusable, neither activate in any way nor use the editor, completely broken and does not allow to work, you cannot even go back to version 2.4.5 because it is not allowed nor is there an official repository

JiangBaiShi likes this.
  44. NorthropBtwo

NorthropBtwo

QoL feature request: directly editable project location

upload_2022-1-22_21-5-50.png

In the old Unity Hub, you could directly write the project location into the textfield. In Unity Hub 3.0.0, you have to create the folder manually and then select it in the explorer. Not a big thing, but is saves a few clicks.
    (big fan of the new design)

EvOne likes this.
  45. roka

roka

Unity hub 3.0.1 :

Creating or opening give the same result.

Code (CSharp):
    2. {"level":"error","message":"[ 'Error while opening a local new project: ProjectError' ]","moduleName":"LocalProjectService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:32:50.717Z"}
    3. {"level":"error","message":"[\n  'Error while opening project: {\"code\":400,\"error\":{\"name\":\"IpcError\",\"errorCode\":\"NOT_A_VALID_PROJECT\",\"projectName\":\"My project (8)\",\"projectVersion\":\"2019.2.21f1\",\"projectPath\":\"C:\\\\\\\\Users\\\\\\\\Roka\\\\\\\\Documents\\\\\\\\My project (8)\"}}'\n]","moduleName":"LocalProjectService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:32:50.717Z"}
    4. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'setAccessToken: Setting access token' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:33:03.413Z"}
    5. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Get all entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:33:03.413Z"}
    6. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Successfully received all entitlement groups details' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:33:03.438Z"}
    7. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Received 1 entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:33:03.438Z"}
    8. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'setAccessToken: Setting access token' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.339Z"}
    9. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Get all entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.339Z"}
    10. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Successfully received all entitlement groups details' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.360Z"}
    11. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Received 1 entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.360Z"}
    12. {"level":"info","message":"[\n  'createProject projectPath: C:\\\\Users\\\\Roka\\\\Documents\\\\My project (9), editor version: 2019.2.21f1'\n]","moduleName":"LocalProjectService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.361Z"}
    13. {"level":"info","message":"[\n  'onProjectCreate data: ',\n  {\n    defaultScene: '',\n    organizationId: '',\n    projectName: 'My project (9)',\n    projectPath: 'C:/Users/Roka/Documents',\n    projectDirectory: 'C:/Users/Roka/Documents',\n    projectType: 'com.unity.template.3d',\n    selectedPackages: []\n  }\n]","moduleName":"RestEvent:Project","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.361Z"}
    14. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'setAccessToken: Setting access token' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.363Z"}
    15. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Get all entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.363Z"}
    16. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Successfully received all entitlement groups details' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.391Z"}
    17. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Received 1 entitlement groups' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:52:59.391Z"}
    18. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'client process has connected to Unity-hubIPCService!' ]","moduleName":"UnityIPCServer","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:53:02.073Z"}
    19. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Request from Editor: Connect info.' ]","moduleName":"IPCServer:Auth","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:53:02.458Z"}
    20. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'Request from Editor: User info.' ]","moduleName":"IPCServer:Auth","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:53:02.682Z"}
    21. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'socket has disconnected: [object Object] , false!' ]","moduleName":"HubIPCService","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:53:42.942Z"}
    22. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'child process exited with code 1' ]","moduleName":"LaunchProcess","timestamp":"2022-01-25T06:53:42.951Z"}

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

@Gennady Please, add a description of the update content..! :)

Capture d’écran_2022-01-25_08-12-44.jpg

47. FernandoMK

FernandoMK

Hi. I would like to know if the new 3.0.1 update fixes the license issue. o_O

I still haven't updated my hub precisely because of this problem because I participated in the beta and had the same problem reported here a few times.:)

sab_the_cat and NotaNaN like this.
  48. BTStone

BTStone

On Mac Unity Hub just installed 3.0.0 without asking, just did it. On Windows I at least have the option to update to 3.0.0
    and from what I'm reading here there are waaaay to many issues to safely update :/

KarlGG and forzabo like this.
  49. Luxxuor

Luxxuor

Honestly the new Hub is a huge letdown, its super unstable (just had a weird long loading bug where everything just stayed black), there is still no option to install the exact version a project requires (a simple click in the old hub, in the new one you have to go to the archive then find the exact version manually) and generally the layout feels just like being things are shuffled around without any big win in usability. It offers nothing better except for the dark mode which is also pretty low impact as the screen time for the hub is pretty low to begin with.
    I could live with the reduction of features but the constant bugs are really detrimental when EVERY unity editor install has to go through the Hub, so a bug in the loading of the hub instantly means you can't work.
    Edit: Also it being a Electron app it does not support most features a native app should support, eg. on macOS you can't open the settings with the default shortcut, it will not change it appearance with the system setting for it and not even to talk about accessibility features...

JiangBaiShi, KarlGG, NotaNaN and 3 others like this.
  50. Sailendu

Sailendu

I completely agree. There are many of us who wanted a dark mode, but what we really wanted was dark mode to be added to the nicely working HUB 2.x, not a whole new hub with bugs that does not let us work. And there is no official way to stick with the older version of HUB. And it auto updated to 3.x. Someone from Unity please give us a good solution.

JiangBaiShi, KarlGG, NotaNaN and 2 others like this.