Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official A new Hub release is available - v3.6.0

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Oct 24, 2023.

1. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

Indeed it will go into project settings file under organizationId for editors sake, and also stored in /Appdata/roaming/unityhub/projects-v1.json for hub's sake.

I think there is a mechanism in place to mitigate that concern, but it was setup a long time ago so I haven't looked at it to be sure. But I think we store an id in the editor files, and on hub side we look up the name relative to your account. The idea is the only way someone can get your org name is if they are in your org.

Thanks that is good feedback !

Dennis_eA likes this.
  2. Joymagine

Joymagine

its broken fix it, license constantly doesnt work, i had to install older version of hub

also remove all the cloud garbage

Xtro and Dennis_eA like this.
  3. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

I thought reinstalling Windows solved my problem (which was apparently a cracked Windows) but I still can't create a new project... and I don't understand why:

upload_2023-11-24_7-55-38.png

To be clear: I see what the Hub reports to me, I just can't believe it :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2023
  4. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

The reason you see that message is because some path inside the template combined with your path name, and your project name will be longer than 260 characters which is a limit coming from windows itself.

Your path looks pretty short so I would wager that there may have been some update to the template you're trying to use which has introduced a longer path. If you care to submit a bug report with the specific editor, and template that would be great. In the meantime you need to choose some different combination of editor/template/path/name to make it shorter.

5. cp-

cp-

@judesidloski, @fuzzy3d most likely uses the mixed reality template which comes with a deep folder structure. Maybe you can ping the relevant teams to work together to fix this.

As many Unity users would fall into some category like developers or power users, it would be good to at least have the hub app check if the limit is actually in place in the current environment before just assuming so.
    Because you can deactivate this relic for some time now: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/how-to-enable-or-disable-win32-long-paths-in-windows-11-10

judesidloski and fuzzy3d like this.
  6. fuzzy3d

fuzzy3d

Exactly. From the last century and the limitations of MS-DOS, I've learned to be modest about naming files and folders. it never occurred to me that someone could overwhelm the operating system with only complex naming. This world is not for the old(?)

7. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

Done :D

That's a really great suggestion. Thanks.

fuzzy3d likes this.
  8. Sailendu

Sailendu

Please implement project renaming feature similar to requested in the following forum thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/renaming-projects.514061/

I need to be able to change the project title without renaming the folder itself.
    For all my projects, the directory where the Unity project is located is simply named "Unity", which is located inside a parent folder which contains other related files to the project. I can not keep everything inside the Unity project folder itself. So this is a much needed feature. And I am sure many others want this feature as well.

9. sivrikaya

sivrikaya

What is this?
    All my other projects are in this folder without a problem and tonight I decided to test 2022lts and unity hub started crying about it.
    It's Hub 3.6.1
    upload_2023-12-9_0-9-59.png

10. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

11. Gamemakers3D

Gamemakers3D

--Correction of re/install Folders in respect of Unity Ceo: Riccitiello instead of lay offs ibm, for Windows 10 / 11 x64: here the folders to fix Unity Hub and fix re/Installation of Unity Editor 2022+

%ProgramData%\Unity
    %AppData%\UnityHub
    %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity
    %ProgramFiles%\Unity
    %ProgramFiles%\Unity Hub

During installatoin Hub allow execute.cmd or disable Antivirus for Unity Editor 2022+. If WebGL Fails just add it as a Module in Hub 3.6.1* , set first org cloud is optional not connected just ignore it, again. Than if you are lucky with all advice and unity friend, give a likes, solved it runs.

i had problem with this Unity Hub 3.6.0 release at Personal License Edition or since Unity Ceo is gone.
    Unity does not run since Ceo is gone, what a coincidence, visions of next game industry but,
    we know that we are thankfull to anyone involved to test than fix bugs and go further with software,
    non technical but a lot wants to be Ceo but that runs better than ibm lay offs?
    Add a field with ModifyDate of Project.unity instead to mark all and see latest project
    Tech:
    - i give a 3. try delete unity and reinstall fresh in standard folder, but tell if anyone else have this problem -
    In beta-3.7.0beta1 channel there is no error message but can not create a project in Editor 2023 or 2022.
    Hub 3.6.1 will be installed since switched to normal, than Try again at It took to long to activate license.
    Activation in progress, Try again, Loop..
    Could not create any Unity 3d project, changable beta version or run it, than normal again.
    Support:
    Could fix instead all this steps, webgl failed Version Hub 3.6.1 or this steps above reinstall add module fix.

upload_2023-12-12_13-17-51.png
    upload_2023-12-12_13-18-7.png
    upload_2023-12-12_13-18-32.png
    upload_2023-12-12_13-20-57.png
    upload_2023-12-12_13-47-21.png
    Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features\Unity* //all clean reinstall.
    Add failed Module WebGL, again got fixed the installation in Unity Hub 3.6.1, Liked Create solved.

now where is WebGpu, o no its in Version 2023 - o why not here by Default in Editor 2022.
    But why 2022.3.15f1 and 2022.3.15f1-x86_64 , 2 * 5GB in C:\Program Files\Unity\Hub\Editor.
    404 at https://blog.unity.com schould awake ceo news: An unexpected error occured. Please try again later.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2023
  12. MiTschMR

MiTschMR

I discovered that if you unselect the
    Connect to Unity Cloud
    button on one editor version and then change the version, the checkbox will get checked again, so you have to uncheck it again. However, if you switch to a version to have already set the checkbox to false, it will remember that, but a "new" version from the editor dropdown will check it once again.

13. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I have just updated to Unity Hub 3.7.0 and you made it happen! It feels like a Christmas miracle after all these years.

The ability to search the entire path instead of just the name is a significant improvement in terms of usability for me. Thank you!

judesidloski likes this.
  14. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

Thank you :D The other one is there too. Multiple search terms separated by spaces.

Peter77 likes this.
  15. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

Awesome, thank you! :D

16. Sailendu

Sailendu

Hi @judesidloski the search in path feature is awesome, it was much needed.

I also have another request, please make this happen too.

Please implement project renaming feature similar to requested in the following forum thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/renaming-projects.514061/

I need to be able to change the project title without renaming the folder itself.
    For all my projects, the directory where the Unity project is located is simply named "Unity" or "Game", which is located inside a parent folder which contains other related files to the project. I can not keep everything inside the Unity project folder itself. So this is a much needed feature. And I am sure many others want this feature as well.

17. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

This feature is more complicated :/ but actually we have already done a lot of the work, but it was stalled because of some upcoming thing that people thought was going to cause some conflict . Anyways that was awhile ago so I'll bring it up with the team and try to get it back on the board :)

It would help if you could explain why you can't rename the folders ?

18. Sailendu

Sailendu

You can see a post here:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/renaming-projects.514061/page-2#post-9516265

The idea suggested there does seem like a simple solution to implement, as it is a separate .txt file I assume it will not cause any conflict. If the .txt file exists show the name from it, otherwise show the folder name as it is done now. So people who like the folder naming and people like me both will be happy.

My project folders are structured like this:
    - MyGameName (<< Main folder)
    --- Unity (<< Unity project)
    --- Images
    --- Audio
    --- and many other folders containing other stuffs

I am doing this for years, and it feels right. If I rename the "Unity" folder to "MyGameName" it will be "MyGameName/MyGameName". I think having a feature to set the project title different from the folder name would be good. I am requesting this for years. So, at this point I am not sure if it will ever happen, but if it happens, it will be the best thing ever :)

So, if you think it would be a good feature, requesting you to please bring it up with the team.

19. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the link. I understand the need now, and yes of course I think it would be a good feature :) For the record as well -- all of the unity employees in that thread are no longer on the team. It's unfortunate that this didn't make it over the line with that team and we need to now pick up where they left off, but I'll see what I can do.

20. We have a Project Title in the Project Settings window called Product Name, please sync with that. Preferably use that from the settings in the Hub. And make the default to the folder name.
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/class-PlayerSettings.html

judesidloski and Peter77 like this.
  21. mgear

mgear

22. Xtro

Xtro

Last edited: Jan 11, 2024
    Pitou22 likes this.