Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official A new Hub release is available - v3.6.0

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Wriggler

Wriggler

Yep, same here. I was hoping that this would finally be the version that supported Silicon properly... but still nothing. Come on Unity Hub folks - you're literally years behind the curve now. It's still sooooo slow to boot.

Regarding the new columns you've added: stop trying to push me to use your services. Whether or not I use them will be based on the requirements of the project I'm working on, not whether you annoy me into doing it by dangling the button in front of my face all the time. The first thing I did when I saw this update was try to hide those columns, and when I saw that it's impossible I came here to complain.

Unity Hub is going backwards in so many ways. Please talk to your users and implement the features they actually want. The simple change to search mentioned further up in this thread is a really obvious quality-of-life improvement that everyone would benefit from. That's the kind of thing we want to see... not the push from corporate to bug us continually to use your services.

Unity has a bad public image problem at the moment, and updates like this are not helping at all. To the Hub team: you're a hugely visible part of the Unity UX. Please start fighting for your users, and be the change that they want to see.

Ben

Pitou22, MousePods, Stardog and 6 others like this.
  2. Henrarz

Henrarz

At this point the only way to force Unity to develop Apple Silicon support for Hub is Apple removing Rossetta from macOS. FFS, what is Unity Hub team doing

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why do you guys take things so personally?
    It's not like they forced us to use their services!
    When I saw that "not on dashboard" column I was happy to see that none of my current projects were on it. I will hide it as soon as I can do it but having it is good by me

4. Gigacee

Gigacee

Hey... is there a way to disable Unity Version Control and Unity Dashboard tabs?
    Our team does not use these systems and does not plan to.
    MUST we see "NOT CONNECTED" messages always?
    This is... not very pleasant experience.

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

I like this:

Capture d’écran_2023-10-27_10-13-27.jpg

protopop likes this.
  6. Wriggler

Wriggler

It's just another example of Unity acting in a way that is counterproductive to our business aims. Bluntly, Unity continuing to make decisions in its own (shareholder-led) interests rather than the interests of developers is a threat to our business. We have a lot of investment in Unity technology, and it feels like that investment is on shaky ground these days. Obviously I'm referring to the recent runtime fee chaos more than Unity Hub specifically, but it's all stuff that is moving in the same direction... Basically, they are focusing on the wrong things, and IMO a course correction is needed.

Ben

7. bugfinders

bugfinders

For me, Ive avoided a number of unity services because while some are free to start with, the first you'll know is when you get a bill cos you breached the limit.. (Or at least it feels that way) As a free license user (legit not made a single cent from games made etc, deliberately), Ive bought way more than i should have off the asset store, been bitten hard by some of those, and I feel for new users who will come along, hear hey we include source control and dashboard stuff, agree, and start working on something only for the source to get big, or they use the unity will compile it for you option, next thing they know charges are needed..

sure its good for unitys bank balance, and unity is a business and needs to make money, but, are those potential costs laid out? Ive seen a number of posts about ad revenew being taken back with a not saying fradulent but people not having a clue why.. i dont mind them promoting their stuff, but it should have warnings of may incur costs, and not be on by default.

8. adamgolden

adamgolden

Yeah me too - although I do sort of wonder, what are these analytics we've been opted in to, exactly? Does anyone know what sort of things are collected if we don't uncheck it (as someone else mentioned, it's technically opting out, since it's enabled by default). Maybe there's a page on the website about their data collection, but honestly I don't care enough to look, it's a passing curiosity.. unless they're feeding our code to Muse.

9. JiRo_Dev

JiRo_Dev

Hate to burst your bubble but Unity Hub 3.6 looks exactly the same as 3.5 for me here, none of the changes you mentioned are here: upload_2023-10-27_10-20-42.png

10. adamgolden

adamgolden

11. andyz

andyz

Except in Europe it should be Opt out by default - not sure when I opted in but, erm thanks for letting me opt out...

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, we never opted in, we were opted in. :p

13. Kinggrass

Kinggrass

@Gennady & @judesidloski

First of all thanks to the dev team for a new release and the improvements you do on the Hub.
    It helps managing of projects and Unity installed versions and to create projects with templates.

Like I already mentioned in the last Unity Hub release thread:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/a-new-hub-release-is-available-v3-5-2.1482156/

The environment variables for proxy connections are not respected anymore, this is a huge issue for us who work behind corporate proxies.
    Respect them like it was in 3.5 and earlier please or implement a official settings page for proxy in the hub.

Now we are not able to download anything over new hub releases or are forced to install old hub versions.
    How long does this work out?
    We are paying a lot of licenses and for them.
    If Unity is interested in income from non game development industries, this should be addressed immediatly.

You are now made aware about it here again.
    I dont have time to arrange and submit a bug report with steps to reproduce or so on.
    You also know how it should be working and it does not anymore.

14. bugfinders

bugfinders

which of course is against the GDPR :p

15. bugfinders

bugfinders

rasing a bug would have taken the same time as you posting here.. so, yes, you had time

16. uruidaanmodder

uruidaanmodder

This is absoletely very bad update. It broke my unity hub and it won't open my projects. Downgrading to 3.5.2

17. Kinggrass

Kinggrass

While I understand where you're coming from, raising formal bug report typically requires a structured and detailed explenation, with steps to reproduce, expected and observed outcomes, and possibly screenshots or logs.

Posting here was a quick way to gauge if others had encountered the same isssue or if there was a immediate solution available.

As developers, we know that well-documented bug report is invaluable, but it does take time and effort to prepare.
    I belive we can communicate our perspectives without making assumptions about one another's intentions or time.

Let's work together to improve the community for everyone.

Xtro and TPoittevinAmplitude like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

Obviously... :p

19. illa3d

illa3d

I've found a way to revert Unity Hub 3.6.0 to 3.5.2 without the Plastic SCM integration and to stop auto-updates.
    Unity, please give options to turn off unwanted hub features.
    You really won't sell Plastic SCM to me since I'm already in love with Git.

Cheers!

MatrixNew and florianBrn like this.
  20. corris_unity

corris_unity

Came here specifically to add my voice to the pile requesting that the new extra columns be made optional.

My company doesn't use Unity Version Control for our own reasons, so there's a negative-looking icon next to every project that makes it feel like we are doing something wrong. Since we can't disable this, it feels like Unity is trying to make us feel bad for not using those features, which causes feelings of resentment.

TPoittevinAmplitude likes this.
  21. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Hi there! Just to confirm the understanding - have you tried to enable Automated Proxy Detection ?

22. bugfinders

bugfinders

as someone who gave up on unity behind a corporate proxy because our proxy does not use plain text http login style logins but a stupid annoying form with 2fa, and the environment variables used to sort of work, but then worked enough to say new versions were available but package manager didnt use them, and with more and more things being packages it reduced unity down to a what comes with the install only. It was not something worth persuing, as each differnt bit of unity seems to be hit or miss as to whether a method works or not

23. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

First of all - thank you for submitting the bug. I'm really sorry to hear that the ticket was closed as a duplicate, but the good news is that we are aware of the issues and actively working on the investigation (and your case is in that list).

24. JBVirt

JBVirt

The two new columns are ugly as hell and add unnecessary clutter.
    I understand that the higher ups want to say "Please use us! We exist! Give us your money! Please don't use Git like a sane person!" but this is very clearly shoving products down our throats at the expense of the user experience.

Please add the option to Enable/Disable columns as desired if you have this many columns.

25. ScionOfDesign

ScionOfDesign

Please remove the new columns, they are extremely annoying.

26. valarnur

valarnur

Please reduce the size of the Hub in half to below 60MB.

danielkyles, argh6543 and bugfinders like this.
  27. HASSANHR

HASSANHR

useless forced new features , Connected a lot of garbage prototyping, testing, projects to my Work Dashboard, where i have all the production/published game on, and i can't even delete them! well Done Unity !!!

28. zhuchun

zhuchun

I wouldn't say I like the new UI. It just makes it more difficult to click on the project and reminds me to pay for services that I do not need.

TPaulsen2 likes this.
  29. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

danielkyles likes this.
  30. Deleted User

Deleted User

How is it that everyone is complaining about those new columns and nobody bothers that the Hub autoupdates?
    Updates are installed in your system behind your back and you don't care?

protopop likes this.
  31. Deleted User

Deleted User

On my Linux, Unity Hub uses 191 Mb at worst. A lot more when a project is open. The ram used by a project being included in the Hub tree in the task manager, this is probably where these 750 Mb come from.

Capture d’écran_2023-10-29_10-34-42.jpg

What about Firefox using 500+ Mb for just two pages?

Capture d’écran_2023-10-29_10-41-34.jpg

Talking about that, @Gennady, what about adding the possibility for the Hub to be use as a browser for the forums and the Learn pages? I wouldn't have to use Firefox any more to visit them. :)

32. bugfinders

bugfinders

As i said earlier. I dont like hub at all!! I hated it was born and all but made compulsory from the get go. I have dislike to anything that downloads or does things in the background without asking because my internet is poor and if im doing something else i want that to take priority so if im streaming something i dont want downloads messin with it. So will wait till im not.

33. protopop

protopop

I just opened a project and suddenly have the new cloud columns that say most of my projects are connected to the cloud?

Can't sign in, says I need to install Unity Hub but it's installed and open?

Can open a project but all my Assets from the asset store are missing inn package manager?

Trying to get critical updates done and can't work on my project?

What is going on? There was no warning about any of this.

HybrisFactory likes this.
  34. Ryiah

Ryiah

There's an alternative hub that is made with C++ and wxWidgets. It's less than 7MB.

https://github.com/Ravbug/UnityHubNative

Atrixx likes this.
  35. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yeah, this is the default setting. There are preferences in the new Hub that can make you avoid that. You can also create your projects offline; this is how I did it to avoid this situation.

In the meantime, search your system for hidden UnityHub folders and delete the one that is full of stuff, after quitting the Hub from the tray. Restart the Hub and it should work. ;)

36. florianBrn

florianBrn

Between those useless columns shoehorned in just to try and push users to use services no sane person would ever use, the Cloud Organization and Connect to Unity Cloud checkbox ticked by default when creating a new project, Analytics enabled by default (which, as others already pointed out, is illegal in the EU), or the fact Analytics preferences aren't linked to an Unity account (which is definitely not because you hope people will forget to disable it on all their computers, right?), if all of this is Unity's way of improving things after the mess that happened in these past few weeks then you've got it all wrong.

And in the meantime, Unity Hub is still a memory hog, still has no way to pause downloads, still has no native Apple Silicon version, still has to send you to a webpage to access older engine versions, still has no way to rename projects...

You're wasting both your time and everyone else's. At least, this update definitely did push me to use UnityHubNative, so I guess that's a win for me.

andyz and Wriggler like this.
  37. mgear

mgear

also in the meantime,
    you can hide those columns if you edit the app.asar.
    (but takes some effort and any new updates would bring them back again..)

i've added steps here: hub fix

upload_2023-10-30_11-58-6.png

38. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

@protopop It sounds like your unityhub protocol handler isn't registered for some reason.

Can you send me your info-log.json via DM or log a bug report ?

Was both restarting and reinstalling the hub unsuccessful to get you unblocked on sign in?

protopop likes this.
  39. protopop

protopop

Thank you. I restarted my Mac (MacOS 12.5, MacBook Pro M1 Pro) and the package manager is connecting again.

BTW my unity Hub needs to be quit twice before it quits (Menu - Unity - Quit Unity Hub x2) - first time closes the hub visual but it remains active in the Mac toolbar.Also my Unity Plus license says it expires in the year 2123 - maybe this is because Plus is being phased out? Neither are deal breakers but perhaps good to know.

40. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

@protopop
    Hmm that's interesting that a restart fixed ! Thanks for getting back.

The hub quitting issue is known, but the license expiration date is very odd.. Do you have time to open a bug report and include your logs ? It could be indicative of some more serious issue.

hub log:
    • Mac: ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/logs
    licensing log:
    • ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Unity.Licensing.Client.log

protopop likes this.
  41. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Is it? We cancelled our Pro licenses a few days ago, but when we had them the expiration date was 50+ years into the future.

42. protopop

protopop

Will do. I found my logs. How do I submit a bug report for unity hub?

Screen Shot 2023-10-30 at 3.48.27 PM.png

43. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

I haven't seen it or heard of it before, but there have been plenty of changes to licenses and entitlements over the years and it isn't really my department so it is possible it is expected.

upload_2023-10-30_14-53-50.png

protopop likes this.
  44. pzolla

pzolla

Can't launch with new update - just spins - eventually a critical error

45. Carwashh

Carwashh

As well as that first column (well, all columns ideally).
    And make the columns expandable, long project names get cut off.

46. HybrisFactory

HybrisFactory

Please can someone send me an older version of the Hub.
    I updated mine to 3.6.0 by mistake, and now it just crashes with a critical error after a minute or so of struggling to load, exactly in the same way as mentioned by a number of posters in here.

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

48. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

49. HybrisFactory

HybrisFactory

Peter77 likes this.
  50. Kinggrass

Kinggrass

Thanks, I tried it out now and unfortunatly it does not work like already pointed out in your thread.