Search Unity

1. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Official A new Hub release is available - v3.6.0

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by Gennady, Oct 24, 2023.

1. Gennady

Gennady

Unity Technologies

Hi everyone - Hub v3.6.0 is now live!

Here are some highlights from this release:

• You can now create a new a new Unity Dashboard project, connect and disconnect an existing local Editor project with its corresponding Unity Dashboard project from the Hub.
    • We also added a simplified way to enable Unity Version Control for both new and existing local Editor projects.
    • We also fixed some issues related to editor installation and updated licensing error messages.

You can find the full list of the changes in the release notes.

Thank you! The Unity Hub team

Gamemakers3D likes this.
  2. I am not complaining, I hate that new column (connected/not connected) about dashboard project connection, it shouldn't be permanently on the grid since it is (usually) a one-off decision, so it should be at new project and hidden in the context-menu the toggle.
    But, it's not in the new release (and there is no option on the new project tab either).

The original screenshot when it wasn't working:
    Capture.PNG
    Working, but not useful (I don't use UVS at all, most of my projects are not connected to dashboard, and even if one is, I don't need to see it...):
    Capture_new.PNG

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2023
    Pitou22, Gamba04, Ryiah and 3 others like this.
  3. There is no indication and I don't know why, but you need to restart your entire computer to this to take effect. Why? Eh, so restart your computer if you want to use these ugly UVS and dashboard columns in the Hub.

If you had beta Hub and you install the update, the new features will disappear. After that, restart your computer.

Gamba04 likes this.
  4. seb-b

seb-b

Unity Technologies

Hey @Lurking-Ninja, the features you are referring too are behind a feature flag and they are progressively being enabled to everyone. No need to restart the system after the update, they will show up at some point by the end of the week.

5. Ah, then it was a coincidence that the features disappeared. I restarted and the features reappeared... you should have enabled them for beta users from the beginning avoiding the feature-disappear problem...

Can I request my feature flag removed?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2023
    Pitou22, Ryiah, illa3d and 1 other person like this.
  6. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

I have been requesting for the past four years now to have the search functionality in HUB improved, but unfortunately, no progress has been made thus far. :(

It is highly inconvenient that the search function only focuses on the "project name". In many cases, the directory where the Unity project is located is simply named "Unity". Therefore, I kindly request that the search not only includes the project name but also takes into consideration the file path.

To illustrate, here are a few example project paths:
    1. "C:\Projects\Luigi's Mansion\Unity"
    2. "C:\Projects\Mario Odyssey\Unity"
    3. "C:\Projects\Zelda Wind Waker\Unity"

When attempting to search for "Mario" in the Hub search field, it unfortunately provides zero results.

I truly believe that expanding the search capability to include the file path would greatly enhance the overall user experience. Thank you for your understanding and consideration.

See here for the original thread.

Sailendu, Per-B, eudendeew and 2 others like this.
  7. Yeah, well, we got two useless columns on the project grid instead. So...

8. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

3.6.0 completely breaks unity hub launch, i was using unity and then the auto update occurred and now i can't even open anything anymore -_-

Re-installed 3.5.2 and it works perfectly fine, so whatever you guys did in 3.6 completely breaks launch.

I found the 3.6.0 install to be way too quick, which means it's not installing correctly.
    When i reinstalled 3.5.2 the install time was expected, not fast and properly installed.

So there's obviously a break in the 3.6.0 install, which then breaks the hub launch.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2023
  9. t22336699222

t22336699222

3.6.0 has an abnormal startup problem.
    Uninstalling and reinstalling also fails to start.

The_Swiss_Guy and psynusoidal like this.
  10. adamgolden

adamgolden

Also useless to me, I find it much better without them (less cluttered). I hope we can just toggle them off :rolleyes:

luvcraft and Gamba04 like this.
  11. psynusoidal

psynusoidal

Not working for me either. Seems to fail to launch Unity.Licensing.Client.exe and subsequentially times out fetching entitlements, etc, before eventually crashing due to some sort of null deref type of error in AmplitudeService.

Launching the licensing client manually results in a terminal window with the following error:
    I've submitted a bug report with the full logs attached. Case IN-58483

Edit: Welp, my ticket was closed and marked as a duplicate of a fixed bug from Hub 3.4.0 after obviously not reading everything I reported. Good luck, Unity. You're very clearly a sinking ship.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2023
  12. Deleted User

Deleted User

October 2023, still no Apple Silicon support. Thank you so much ! The frustrated Apple Silicon User.

upload_2023-10-25_8-32-53.png

eudendeew and hakaya like this.
  13. SCLaunder

SCLaunder

Same 3.6.0 failing to launch problem here. Also failing to launch with a licensing timeout in the logs.

14. HG_SB

HG_SB

I would prefer to be able to disable those columns. They add additional clutter.
    There should also be an option to not have new projects have the dashboard options enabled by default.
    And the new privacy option is labeled as "opt-in" but it's actually enabled by default and you have to manually opt out.

15. Deleted User

Deleted User

You should campaign so that auto-update no longer happen. Auto-update has its own executable somewhere. I remember removing it when I was using Windows.
    No auto-update on Linux. ;)

HybrisFactory likes this.
  16. Pinkerator

Pinkerator

TPaulsen2 and The_Swiss_Guy like this.
  17. OccularMalice

OccularMalice

I agree with some of the others. While it's nice to have these features, I'll never use Unity's version control as I always use Github and I'll rarely connect my games to the dashboard (and frankly even if I did I really wouldn't care seeing that it was in the editor). I would rather have the columns to be a setting that I can turn on or off.

Frankly if you want to add something useful let us group projects together so I can keep like projects together in a sort of virtual group or folder (perhaps making it collapsible).

Pitou22, luvcraft and bugfinders like this.
  18. Deleted User

Deleted User

I second that. I don't care about grouping projects in one folder (we can do that already) but grouping them in the hub would make it a lot clearer and organised.

OccularMalice likes this.
  19. Lucafro

Lucafro

As of this new update UH infinitely loads and does not start up for me anymore on Windows 11.

Edit: I have to use WaybackMachine to find an older version of the UH because Unity does not support a download archive for the UnityHub. Why not? This is far from ideal.

The_Swiss_Guy likes this.
  20. tambrus

tambrus

I work on a multiplayer game and so have 6 instances of the repo, with multiple unity projects within the repo. At last count I have 28 projects registered with Hub in batches of 6 with the same project name except for a different repo number in the path.

Previously I could sort by path, and I would love to have that come back as an (optional) column.
    Now I can only sort by project name, and the projects with the same name aren't ordered by path, so in the image below they are ordered 1,3,4,6,2,5 instead of the natural order. At the very least when sorting by name could you sort by name and then path?

upload_2023-10-25_8-34-44.png

Attached Files:

21. Teila

Teila

I opened my project in Unity hub and it now says connected, not connected....

And my projects are gone, and blank. Lot of work. Fortunately I backup but what happens when I try to open it up with the hub.

How do I get my project out of the hub. I do not like this, it is scary.

22. Xtro

Xtro

Can you please add an option to disable/hide these unwanted columns please?

upload_2023-10-25_9-54-27.png

23. eudendeew

eudendeew

Hub is only to quickly open a project it never deletes the actual project contents so it must be in some folder in your drive.

24. Teila

Teila

I have backups, always.

But it quite a surprise when you open in the hub and the project is empty. All those connection things?
    A bit of documentation somewhere on the hub page would help.

pKallv likes this.
  25. adamgolden

adamgolden

I'd be happy to see a new feature where we can pick the platform when creating a new project.. sort of a pain to immediately have to open build options and change the platform each time. /feature request

Lurking-Ninja likes this.
  26. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

It truly boggles the mind to ponder over the specific customer demographic that these features were tailored for. I mean, it would just be absurd to go ahead and implement something that their customer base doesn't even want.

luvcraft and Gamba04 like this.
  27. EnriqueWR

EnriqueWR

Gamba04 and Pinkerator like this.
  28. judesidloski

judesidloski

Unity Technologies

@Teila That is extremely concerning. Could you post your info-log.json and your editor log ? Also you say "my projects are gone". Could I get more details about what is happening ? Is it one project, or every project you open, or all projects in hub ? How did you open the project ? By gone you mean it is as though it is a fresh project ? If you still have one of these wiped projects what are the statuses of the unity version control and dashboard columns ? If you open the project and go to the unity version control window is it connected to a repo ? Is there any commit history on that repo ?

If you have any time to answer any of those questions it would be greatly appreciated. We don't want even a single person to be losing their work.

For everyone else
    - we are working on the licensing client issue
    - if you have the time please request the hiding/toggling project list columns here https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-hub
    (via feature request button)
    - @Peter77 I will make it happen

Unity Editor Logs
    • Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Unity\Editor\Editor.log
    • macOS: ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Editor.log
    • Linux: ~/.config/unity3d/Editor.log
    Unity Hub Logs
    • Windows: %APPDATA%\UnityHub\logs\info-log.json
    • macOS: ~/Library/Application\ Support/UnityHub/logs/info-log.json
    • Linux: ~/.config/UnityHub/logs/info-log.json

Gamba04, Peter77 and adamgolden like this.
  29. adamgolden

adamgolden

Done - have submitted 2 ideas under "nice to have". The first was about columns we can toggle (and suggested an approach could be like Windows Explorer, where you right-click the headers and can check/uncheck the columns you want to display). The second submission was about being able to select which platform a new project should be for (vs. having to open build options each time to change it).

illa3d, AngelicSyre, Atrixx and 3 others like this.
  30. dizzymediainc

dizzymediainc

it should technically be optional and an actual bool option in the hub preferences but of course it isn't already there :p

Gamba04 likes this.
  31. KimmoFactor

KimmoFactor

+1 for option to disable the new columns. They just add unnecessary clutter for something I've never used.

Pitou22, Gamba04, TPaulsen2 and 2 others like this.
  32. nehvaleem

nehvaleem

+1 for visibility toggle for columns

33. ChristianTeister

ChristianTeister

Thanks a lot, for the link. :)

After the update to 3.6.0 it lost my license and getting the license attached to my logged in account didn't work. I had to remove my seat activation and add the license manually using the license code.

But even then I was unable to open any project. The hub just displayed the animated loading icon forever when clicking on a project.

Reverting back to 3.5.2 worked for me. :)

Pinkerator likes this.
  34. Shizola

Shizola

The new columns disappeared in 3.6 for me, but I'm happy they're gone. If people want to toggle them on, I think it's fine if its optional thing but off by default.

Edit: Ok they just randomly came back, weird.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  35. mitaywalle

mitaywalle

+1 for visibility toggle for columns

illa3d likes this.
  36. bugfinders

bugfinders

+1 on visible columns here too. Just like praying one day each unity update will stop asking me to instwll vstudio community. I got rider. Me no need community.

Gamba04 and illa3d like this.
  37. please request the things here https://unity.com/roadmap/unity-hub

Gamba04, illa3d, adamgolden and 4 others like this.
  38. bugfinders

bugfinders

never had much luck with that system, it just doesnt feel like anyone ever reads it

Gamba04 likes this.
  39. andyz

andyz

the new columns are an autumn joke?!
    Most of us don't need those... learn...

Last edited: Oct 26, 2023
  40. Atrixx

Atrixx

The new columns are seem to be from a point of nudging people towards their services, to which I find disrespectful in its implementation.

How is this helpful information to have here?
    Do they switch often? Is this installation dependent?

At most there could be an icon / column which denoted to Unity Services, and with a hover state to see what services are connected.

As again, you've added 50% more columns for what purpose?

Furthermore, the window now scrolls horizontally when at its smallest size.

Gamba04, illa3d, andyz and 2 others like this.
  41. argh6543

argh6543

Plan A: Charge ridiculous install fees.
    Plan B: Reduce install fees, make up by pushing other paid services everywhere you can! Enjoy your additional, pointless columns, suckers!

Gamba04, illa3d and mgear like this.
  42. adamgolden

adamgolden

The "Create project" button is now disabled until you select a Unity Dashboard Organization from the dropdown:
    1.png

Unfortunately I didn't notice that "Connect to Unity Dashboard" checkbox right away, created a temporary project and but then see I am unable to delete it from dashboard, only "archive" it. After archiving it, still can't delete it - so it would be nice to have the option to delete a project from the dashboard, because now it's going to be stuck in dashboard forever?
    2.png

How is it we [apparently] have no way to delete a project from dashboard? :eek:

43. AngelicSyre

AngelicSyre

reinstall the old version then:

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local\unityhub-updater\pending
    delete contents

C:\Users\your name\AppData\Local
    right click "unityhub-updater" folder > properties > security > remove all your read/write privileges

edit: new fix is a lot more reliable than old fix

Last edited: Nov 8, 2023
    Pitou22, Gamba04 and illa3d like this.
  44. bugfinders

bugfinders

upload_2023-10-27_7-16-3.png

seems to work here without using dashboard etc

45. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It doesn’t work if you don’t choose an organization and I don’t know why you would choose one if you don’t want to connect to dashboard.

Unity Hub needs to have its source code pgp wiped and restarted from scratch (without electron). It wasn’t great when it first released and it has been getting worse.

pbourdin, Gamba04 and mgear like this.
  46. adamgolden

adamgolden

I didn't notice the checkbox even existed until it was too late lol - I just picked something from the dropdown to see if that fixed it, and then the button lit up, which was a relief.. so then I continued without looking at anything else, not realizing it had a permanent implication (because as it turns out, we can't delete our projects from our dashboard).

Yeah - the checkbox should be above the dropdown, the dropdown should be disabled unless you tick the box, and Create Project button should only be disabled if you've ticked the box but haven't yet selected an organization from the dropdown (in which case a label should explain why you can't currently click the "Create Project" button). It would also make sense to NOT have the box ticked by default, so it continues to work the way it has always worked unless you enable something new by choice.

47. bugfinders

bugfinders

well i dont think you can not have an organisation - hence i have one called bugfinders, as all assets and licenses are done by organisation i think so, i dont feel thats unreasonable

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

It's been like that forever. If you want your projects to be deleted from the dashboard, you need to make a ticket. :)

49. adamgolden

adamgolden

:( ..ah well, I won't lose any sleep over it, but that's absurd. Maybe there's a good reason for it that doesn't apply to me.

Gamba04 likes this.
  50. Deleted User

Deleted User

I created mine a long time ago, naively thinking I would be able to remove it... Then some of my projects appeared on the dashboard and I had to ask for them to be deleted.
    I came back recently after an absence and noticed that the first projects I created had been automatically added to the dashboard. Why? Because I didn't know I could make it so that they do not use Analytics.
    Today, using Analytics can be avoided in the project preferences. That's an improvement.
    I still need to make the ticket asking for the projects that are on my dashboard to be deleted though.
    And, as a precaution, I create projects after disconnecting from the internet.