Search Unity

A new asset store!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Graphics_Dev, Jan 29, 2017.

1. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

The idea with this store is that assets built for many different game engines can all be brought together in one central store that all game developers (especially indies) can draw from. After scouting around their site and posting in their forums, I've found that while their user base and publisher/creator group is growing, it is not quite near the size Unity asset store. Regardless, they seem to have a relatively high standard of quality, so I think it would be fair to say that anything you purchase there will have some value to it.

Because they accept .unitypackage files, many publishers can quite easily clone some of their Unity asset store products to GameDev Market. Obviously, the more file types, the more users will want your product, but there's no rush to amass a larger group of file types. If you do work with Unreal as well, those assets can go right to GameDev Market, and they don't have an exclusivity policy (that is, you can still legally sell the same products in other stores). Another huge bonus that Unity asset store devs will appreciate is that GameDev Market aims to review any submitted assets within 48 hours! That's fast considering the asset store normally takes 1-2 weeks.

It isn't difficult to get started as a customer or a creator. Just do the usual email address with validation, and put in your info if you want.

Click here to go to the GameDev Market

At this point, the biggest need of GDM is users and developers. Hopefully you will consider being one of many who are actively supporting this new market.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. AndreasU

AndreasU

Odd that your link contains a referral id then.

And, btw, the link doesnt work.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. AndreasU

AndreasU

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  4. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@AndreasU Thanks, sorry...just fixed that. I just posted the alliance link to our website, and didn't switch it here. I wouldn't think that to be affiliation anyway, but if it offends you I'm happy to remove it as I wasn't really expecting there to be any difference either way. The minimum amount from that for a payout is like $50 which I highly doubt would ever be reached with only 5%...that's $1000 worth of assets that would need to be sold/bought.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  5. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Basically whenever you are doing affiliate / referral marketing you need to disclose how you are benefiting from it. It should never be hidden and the people you are pitching the offer to need to know you benefit monetarily when they go through your link and make a purchase.

I did affiliate marketing for many years. And it got a bad rep due to all of the shady people doing it focusing only on money. The proper way to do it is to only recommend things you have bought, tried and believe in.

Beyond that... there are laws now for it requiring you to disclose that you benefit. Of course, this is for USA and perhaps UK not sure about anywhere else.

But see it just makes it so you start off on the wrong foot so to speak. Most of us probably think the only reason you posted this was to make some money. Where all you had to do was tone down the pitch some and say hey check this out. And just so you know that link is my affiliate id and if you buy anything over there I will get 5% but that doesn't make it cost any more for you. And they really do have some great stuff.

Just doing that maybe some people would moan & groan but at the least it comes across like you are being honest and not trying to hide it.

6. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@GarBenjamin I appreciate your information...I didn't know that it was such a touchy subject. I really am not posting this to try to make money through affiliate links (that's why I was quick to remove the affiliate link). The reason I posted this is because I see potential at GameDev Market, and I want to help spread the word. I hadn't heard about it until a few days ago when I saw it on another forum. Eventually, growing GameDev Market may indirectly help me, even financially, but ATM it will not give me anything. My point of saying that we aren't affiliated is that I don't want to come across as though Integrity Software & Games is GDM.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  7. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

No worries. I'm not bothered by it mainly because I've made plenty of mistakes myself. Just saying that to some people it is a big deal. And legally can get you in trouble these days for not disclosing when you post an link that contains an affiliate ID. I'm not bashing you just trying to help really.

Anyway, I will check it out at some point maybe but I am guessing they don't have an unlimited amount of 2D graphics that would allow me to make my barbarian platformer with cool combat game. If you have any pull with them tell them to focus on graphics that work together. Like make sets so that a person can buy x sets from them and be able to actually COMPLETE a game (beyond like an IR / Flappy Bird scope) from start to finish.

Thanks for letting us know about the place.

8. Graphics_Dev

Graphics_Dev

@GarBenjamin Thanks, I appreciate it. As far as your game materials, I don't think the store really has any say about that (and I certainly don't have any "pull with them"). You might have some success contacting an individual 2D art seller...

GarBenjamin likes this.