Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Question A mistake after installing "2D Entities" package

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by KoNNoDIoDa, May 19, 2020.

1. KoNNoDIoDa

KoNNoDIoDa

Hello.
    First of all, sorry for my English, I'm from Russia and I'm in school, so my English level is rather primitive (especially grammar).
    I'm a beginner at gamedev. This is my first Unity project and I've planned to create a 2D multiplayer game with client-server connection type. I've started to create it with HLAPI by Brackeys tutorials, but alert message about deleting of HLAPI and changing it to a more modern API irritated me, so I considered that pandemic is a good time for self-education. I had read ECS and NetCode documentation and started to install packages to my project (the project alredy had some not Data-oriented code (if it matters)). When I had installed all the packages I needed, I got a couple of errors (watch screenshot). I've tried to downgrade the versions of packages (that didn't help). I've also tried to compare packets in my project with NetCode sample project's packages (They are mostly the same). As far as I understood, the errors have happend because of "2D Entities" package installation. When I had clicked the error, the source code was opened (if it matters again). I have no ideas how to fix that. If anybody knows the reason of the error and how to fix it, I will be very grateful for your help.
    Maybe because of English level and the lack of programming knowledge and experience, I didn't understand the documentation (I don't know it exactly).
    I'm using Unity version 2019.3.14f1.
    Thanks in advance.
    PS
    After restarting Unity this happens (watch screenshot 2).
    Screenshot.png
    Screenshot2.png

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  2. aveakrause

aveakrause

Yeahhhh Unity hasn't updated 2D Entities to be compatible with Entities. I'm currently waiting on the same update. Hopefully soon. /hits the hopium bong.

3. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

Hello @KoNNoDIoDa
    So as you just experienced, the NetCode package is currently not supported in Dots Runtime/Project Tiny. 2D Entities is a package designed for Dots Runtime/Project Tiny, and will only work with other packages designed for the same runtime.

I understand that it is difficult to know which packages to select when working with the two runtimes. My suggestion is to use one of our sample projects as base, and use the packages included in those projects. All those packages have been designed to work together.
    You can find all our Project Tiny sample projects here: https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/ProjectTinySamples

If your goal is to create a Dots powered multiplayer game, my suggestion is to follow the NetCode Getting started page, which you can find here: https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.netcode@0.0/manual/getting-started.html

Best of luck, and let us know about your progress!

4. Ted_Wikman

Ted_Wikman

Unity Technologies

@aveakrause It is great to already have very passionate users wanting to create new experiences using our latest tech. We are working hard on the next updates of 2D Entities, where we are implementing both fixes to the feedback we have received from you, the users, and some new features that will help the future creation of Dots powered 2D games.

Please bare with us while we prepare the update. We will let you know when we have something new in store for you.

LegendaryGodlike and aveakrause like this.
  5. LegendaryGodlike

LegendaryGodlike

surly unity must have a "Work Frame" like what we saw in unity hub's new project's templates for any type of games like 2d, 2.5d or 3d and any platform like mobile ,pc , etc. even for multiplayer's games.
    in my think this is a long way in feature that unity want to reach to it, as 30 min experience making games.
    but it is as far so good.
    I hope u can reach this goal (if it is unity road map) soon.
    also I hope in new entities versions we can use more easily from basic class of unity engine. like force2d.

i wait for good news.
    be successful

6. CocosGames

CocosGames

Always try the lastest version.