Search Unity

A million UnassignedReferenceExeptions if upgrade from 2020.2.3f1 to 2020.3.1f1 (LTS) or 2021.1.0f1.

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by Volchok, Apr 10, 2021.

1. Volchok

Volchok

Hello!

Two weeks ago I asked this question here: https://forum.unity.com/threads/a-m...3-1f1-lts-or-2021-1-0f1.1082930/#post-6980057

But I didn't get a logical answer. :(
    Perhaps I asked it in the wrong section of the forum.

Please tell me what to do, as I can't keep updating the project even within LTS 2020.

Thank you!

----------------------------------------------------------------
    Duplication:

I can't upgrade my big project to the new version 2020.3.1f1 (LTS) or 2021.1.0f1.
    The project breaks down because many objects lose references to other objects (prifabs).
    Even manually set string variables are lost.
    Even prifabs on the stage with manually set external properties break down.

What should I do? This is just a nightmare for me!
    I stopped on version 2020.2.3f1.
    It is impossible to edit such a large number of errors manually!
    Before that, everything worked fine for two years - even when I upgraded the project from 2018 to 2019 and from 2019 to 2020.

Is there a way to upgrade Unity Editor to a new version without these errors?

I will be very grateful for any help!

>>>>> There are screenshots at the specified link. <<<<<<

P.S. Now, I would like to buy this package from the Unity Asset Store, but I can't, because I'm stuck in version 2020.2.3f1. :( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/advanced-realistic-ice-hdrp-191782#description

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  2. pietrodenicola

pietrodenicola

Unity Technologies

Hello.

It feels like a bug. If you can make a subset of your project (the smallest you can) that reproduces the problem, and create a bug report with that project attached, we would like to take a look.

https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/bug-reporting

Volchok likes this.
  3. Volchok

Volchok

Thanks for the answer! I'll try to find the time and create a bug report. Although I've never done it before. :confused: I thought I had described the problem in sufficient detail. Well, ok. :(

Last edited: Apr 12, 2021
  4. pietrodenicola

pietrodenicola

Unity Technologies

I understand. If you can attach here a small project, the smallest you can, with just a couple of prefab instances that break when updating (and of course, the prefab in the asset folder), then I will create the bug report for you.

Volchok likes this.
  5. Volchok

Volchok

Thank you! I will do. :)

6. Volchok

Volchok

The error is confirmed. I have uploaded UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage for you (70 Mb). Create a project in version 2020.2.3f1 and import UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage into it. Open Update_2021_UnassignedReferenceExeptions scene and see source prefabs (two first screens with green arrows). Then upgrade the project to version 2020.3.3f1 (or to 2021.1.2f1) and see the result (screens with red arrows).

!!! File !!! ---> UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage
    https://ru.files.fm/u/qsajff9st
    The link will store the file for 2 months!

Please let me know if something goes wrong or if you fix the bug. Thanks!

2020.2.3f1

The bad result after upgrading to 2020.3.3f1 (or in 2021.1.2f1).

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
  7. Volchok

Volchok

Stop! I discovered a very interesting situation! :eek:

---------------

!! File !!! ---> UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage
    https://ru.files.fm/u/qsajff9st

---------------

This file UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage is a clean result variant and has passed !!! THE SECOND !!! export. That is, I created the first export from the original project UnassignedReferenceExeptions.unitypackage (dirty variant without the word Clean) and imported it into the new project version 2020.2.3f1, cleaned it (removed some classes and excessive code) and then upgraded this project to version 2020.3.3f1 (or to 2021.1.2f1). After that, I saw there what I showed in the screenshots. The links were missing right away - I didn't even press button "Play".

But if I create an export already from a clean project (the second export) to UnassignedReferenceExeptions_Clean.unitypackage, then after importing it to a new project and transferring it to 2020.3.3f1 (or to 2021.1.2f1) all links are saved as they were, but if you click "Play" I still get these messages in Console o_O:confused::

So I'm giving you a link from the first export but in the form of a project in version 2020.2.3f1. Just open it in Unity Hub in version 2020.2.3f1 and upgrade it to version 2020.3.3f1 (or to 2021.1.2f1). Then you will see that the links disappeared immediately - everything will be as in the screenshots above.

!! File as Unity Project (FIRST EXPORT .unitypackage from source project and FIRST import into new project in RAR in 2020.2.3f1) !!! ---> Unity_Update_Error_2021_UnassignedReferenceExeptions.rar
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hUSV4MKqc4cteIVjvrcTHNlH6ldF54B3/view?usp=sharing
    ---> 147 Mb (strange, but RAR does not compress the project to the size of 70 Mb o_O)

Please let me know if something goes wrong or if you fix the bug. Thanks!

8. Volchok

Volchok

I can certainly create the first clean UnassignedReferenceExeptions.unitypackage from source project without excessive data, but it will take time.

Project in the archive Unity_Update_Error_2021_UnassignedReferenceExeptions.rar, basically, the same thing.

Just what you wanted.

By the way, if you export this project (Unity_Update_Error_2021_UnassignedReferenceExeptions.rar) in .unitypackage and then import it into a new project version 2020.2.3f1, and then upgrade it to 2020.3.3f1 (or to 2021.1.2f1), then the links will already be in place as it should, but warnings will still appear when you click "Play". o_O

9. Volchok

Volchok

Hi! You didn't answer. Did you succeed to create a bug report (could you give me a reference)? Did you downloaded the project? Everything okay? Do you have any questions for me? When will I be able to update my project without such errors? :rolleyes: Thanks!

10. Volchok

Volchok

It looks like the answer will be in 5 years, as they like in Unity Tech...

11. pietrodenicola

pietrodenicola

Unity Technologies

Volchok likes this.
  12. Volchok

Volchok

Hi! Cool! :) Thanks! But I can't see anything on this link. :( And I can't register an account in https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/. But I believe that bug report exists. If the error will be fixed, then please let me know in this forum so that I can try to update the project. Thanks! :)

P.S.
    How can I view my recent bug report
    https://answers.unity.com/questions/546827/how-can-i-view-my-recent-bug-report.html
    I didn't get a special link.

13. pietrodenicola

pietrodenicola

Unity Technologies

I realized it now that that link is internal only. This is the public link:

https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...unitypackage-when-upgrading-to-2021-dot-1-2f1

It shows only the description and not the other details, that are still private to unity. So you are not seeing the screenshots and the link for the unitypackage that I uploaded in our repository.

For the next time, if you submit a bug report yourself via the editor, you will get the public link, exactly as in the example you have brought. And that's the way it's suggested to do.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
    Volchok likes this.
  14. Volchok

Volchok

Ok!
    It works! :)
    I'll be watching.
    Thanks!

15. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

pietrodenicola and Volchok like this.