Search Unity

A master package is much larger than developer package

Discussion in 'PSM' started by Stranger-Games, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

I am making an adventure game with long story, thus lots of voice acting, 2D images and a little 3D models.
    My psdp file is 934MB. It is still underdevelopment but pretty most of the files needed for the game are already in there.
    But what really shocked me is that when I tried to build a master package, I had the following message.
    "ERROR: Total size of output file exceeds 1024MiB.

Total size = 1896 MiB
    "F:\..."
    Cannot create Master Package because limit was exceeded."

It is really a shock. I spent too much time converting to PSM keeping my eye on the size limit.
    I did not know that the master package would be that much larger than the development build.
    It just means I have to strip down about half of the game, meaning I have to re-plan everything from the beginning. :(
    I think increasing PSM size would be welcomed by all the developers.
    Even indie developers may exceed that limit with a story driven adventure game.

Thanks for advance.

2. blackbird

blackbird

try to promote your game and the apply for a full licence you will get unity pro for free so you don t have to change anything from your game ...

3. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

I am an indie developer, so I am not sure if I can afford vita full license, but no harm to apply and ask for price.
    Thank you very much.

4. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

Lower your textures / audio compressions a bit more ;)

5. eriQue

eriQue

Unity Technologies

That seems a bit odd - can you file a bug on that?
    Thanks.

6. Stranger-Games

Stranger-Games

jesusluvsyooh, thank you very much for your help.
    I changed all the voice acting to compressed rather than native and it produced much smaller (about 500MB) master file.
    Somehow I feel bad I did not think of this from the beginning.

eriQue, thank you very much.
    Actually after the compression of audio files, the development and master package sizes are nearly the same. (Few KBs in difference)

May be the error message itself has a bug reporting the resulting size in case of overflow.
    "ERROR: Total size of output file exceeds 1024MiB.

Total size = 1896 MiB
    "F:\..."
    Cannot create Master Package because limit was exceeded."

Thank you everyone for your help.

7. jesusluvsyooh

jesusluvsyooh

;) There seems to be quite a few people that i've come across that haven't been using all the 'compression' features that Unity has to offer, i guess it comes with experience though, happy to hear it helped, hopefully yourself and others that read will be a bit wiser about compressions, especially the audio part you mentioned :)

Stranger-Games likes this.