Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

A little direction..

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by stevenw82, Sep 24, 2015.

1. stevenw82

stevenw82

Hi all! Non-technical question for you here. I'm looking to experiment and have fun making simple games in my spare time as a hobby. I have dabbled in java, c#, c++, python and many other languages in the past for fun, but I see Unity as a great tool to get creative in. Thing is I'm not sure exactly where to start. The tutorials provided here are excellent quality, though I'm not sure if I should just dive into the project videos or go through all the other ones first ie all the scripting, physics etc etc. Can anyone that started off in a similar position to mine offer any advice?

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I'd suggest following your interests. See what tutorials grab your attention, and try them. If you feel lost, then go back and do some of the more basic ones covering whatever it is that was giving you trouble. Or, just bravely soldier on — if you understand about half of this one, half of that one, half of the other, eventually you will piece together a full understanding.

The key is to enjoy the process! Learning is cool, and Unity is cool, so learning Unity is double cool. :D

Kiwasi, Schneider21 and stevenw82 like this.
  3. stevenw82

stevenw82

Haha yeah I like your logic! My goal is to create a simple game of my own design. I've been wanting to do this since I was a kid (I'm 33 now) despite having a strong interest in computing and programming I never pursued my interest professionally as I didn't really get strong enough grades. At first I thought 3D might be out of reach for me, but Unity looks like such fun.

4. jhocking

jhocking

Somewhat unsurprisingly I recommend learning from my book Unity in Action :D It's written for people who already know how to program but are new to Unity.

More generally though, I would tend to recommend diving into projects rather than watching all the isolated videos. That kinda stuff is useful for reference, but by themselves the information won't stick without the context of a project you are working on.

5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Clone and google.

Pick a simple game. Try to make it. Use google to fill in the gaps.

Once you can find your way around the editor, or get hopelessly stuck, go back to the learn tutorials. They will make much more sense with a bit of context.

6. MurDocINC

MurDocINC

7. Stevew82

Stevew82

Thanks guys!