Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.1 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

A light RPG roguelike without much mechanics

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by j4ke, Feb 28, 2019.

1. j4ke

j4ke

I have made a game demo of first person dungeon crawler with pixel art and random generated levels with Unity. I have been thinking of improvements of this game. The game is supposed to be pretty much the same, but with much more content and with the improvements.

Instead having health, player has morale with can be restored various ways, like defeating enemies, finding secrets, exploring and resting. Player also has energy which is pretty much like stamina of this game, and is restored by eating food. Death occurs only when player runs out both morale and energy. Also, instead of experience points and levels, player stats - defense, melee and ranged - are improved via using them, like in Dungeon Master.

The melee combat system is meant to be much more engaging. Perhaps tapping different parts of the enemy will perform different kinds of melee attacks: bash, swing and thrust? Some melee weapons are more suitable for specific attack type? Player receive and cause different amount of damage depending on the attack type? Also, player has a chance to stun an enemy or get an extra turn with well-timed tapping.

Besides, there will be much more items, weapons, armor, dungeon types and enemies with different behaviors, strengths and weaknesses. Player can also adjust the dungeon size, enemy difficulty, enemy amount and set minimap on/off.

How this all sound like?

Ryiah, JoeStrout and GarBenjamin like this.
  2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

Looks very well done so far. Different attacks perhaps targeting different parts of enemies sounds good. I like the knockback you have implemented.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  3. BIGTIMEMASTER

BIGTIMEMASTER

i really like your ideas, and its really cool to see what you've implemented so far.

as far as the combat goes, I always enjoy a degree of risk vs reward. So if you have a system of targeting the enemies body parts, maybe it can go something like, "attack the leg for high probability of low damage but low risk of being counterattacked as well." "attack the head for lower probability of high damage but with more risk of being counterattacked."

The basic idea is something like tic tac toe. Just a few simple options but none of them are ever perfect because 3's an odd number.