Search Unity

A huge frustration with some of the training videos:

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by crystalwizard321, Apr 16, 2017.

1. crystalwizard321

crystalwizard321

In some of the training videos, the instructors seem to have forgotten that we are going to have to watch a youtube video with all of youtube's nasty issues. The instructor will talk rapidly, writing out code very quickly, jumping around in the code file without explaining why they are putting this function at the top, and that function at the bottom of the file. AND, frequently while they are writing out the code, they are typing lines at the very bottom of the screen. While they can see what they are doing just fine, and they know why they are skipping around, those of us that are watching can't. And when we pause the video to get a better look, youtube pops up a film strip of suggested videos over top of the video we wanted a better look at. It also pops up a red line across the bottom of the screen (and right across the bottom of the line of code we wanted to see), along with all the little buttons youtube thinks you might want to click on. And while you can close the line of suggested videos, that red line and those buttons DO NOT go away till you start the video up again and move your mouse. Making it impossible to ever actually see that line of code.

Also, while the training videos provide the C# code that the instructor is writing out, far too often the file that's provided is packed full of code that isn't going to be added in the video that's being watched. So, after being unable to see what is being displayed on the video, when the student goes hunting through the code example to see what the lines should be, it can be impossible to figure out.

So then, the poor student tries just copying the code, and of course that doesn't work because the file contains code that won't be introduced for several lessons yet AND that need code in other places/files in order to work (or worse, the instructor has decided to wrap the code in a namespace called Completed because he/she is so lazy, that he/she's just dropped the file from the completed code in the completed folder of the tutorial asset download onto the page as the example code.)

And that leads to the student posting for help in the forum, and being berated by the instructor for copying the code (which the student SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO) instead of typing it out while watching the video (which the student TRIED to do in the first place but was unable to do).

The fix:

1. Instructors need to slow down when narrating what they are doing. Slow down both how fast they talk and slow down how quickly they move from explaining one thing to explaining this next.

2. Instructors need to state why they are placing one function at the top of the file, then placing another function at the bottom of the file. And if it's not critical to put those functions in various spots, they need to NOT DO SO. just write them one after the other.

3. Instructors need to make sure that the code they are writing is at the top of the screen, even if this means adding a whole lot of blank lines to the file to start with so they can ensure they are able to scroll the code, to keep it at the top instead of having it all the way down on the screen where it can't be seen.

4. Instructors need to NOT BE LAZY. Yeah, this is going to require multiple copies of the same code script, but the example code provided with step 3 of a training video should NOT have code that won't be introduced in step 5 (for example). And none of the example code files should ever be the one that's provided in the completed folder.

2. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

If you think there's a need for instructors to slow down, here's a life hack in the Settings menu:

YoutubeIMG1.PNG

Also YouTube's film of suggested videos can be closed easily. Overall compared to tutorials for other products (HoloLens, Windows 10 IOT, Android Studio), Unity's tutorials are actually very, very good. Try to do the Android Studio tutorials (most of which aren't even videos), then tell me how Unity's are bad.

I think Unity could do a better job of explaining the C# aspect of coding (what exactly are functions, private/public, IEnumerators, where to put "{ }", "( )", "[ ]" etc...), but overall the tutorials are much better than ones for other products (in my experience).

You can always pause the video to type out something, I've done it all the time. Any no one is being "berated" here, I always try to help as much as possible and keep in mind people's respective experience (I probably only know 20% of C# myself).

3. crystalwizard321

crystalwizard321

>If you think there's a need for instructors to slow down, here's a life hack in the Settings menu:

which doesn't not slow the instructor down, just slows the video down. That is not an acceptable solution.

>Any no one is being "berated" here,

i've seen the posts, yes it has happened.

4. DroidifyDevs

DroidifyDevs

Well, I'm not going to debate you; you have a right to your opinion. However, in my experience Unity's tutorials are better than any other product's and if you follow them step-by-step, you'll be able to complete them fine and get a good start in the engine.