Search Unity

A head that I'm working on

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by UnknownProfile, Jan 8, 2012.

1. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Hey all. Here's a head that I'm working on. It doesn't have a poly count yet as it is still in voxels. I'm working in 3D-Coat and the material is just a standard skin material.

2. TehWut

TehWut

most of it is a bit too round if you ask me.
    The skull and areas around the cheek/mouth/eyes could use a little more definition. Also he has an alien-like head ;)
    Not bad, still better than my head models.

3. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I'm a little excessive on the smooth tool :D. I'm still in the process of deciding to make him a kid or an adult. I know it still needs quite a bit of work, though.

4. TheCasual

TheCasual

I dont think its to bad at all , pretty decent , head modelling is a real art in itself i think.

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Isnt that like some award trophy for movies or something?

6. Austin_S

Austin_S

rab236 ,

3D Coat is an excellent program. For many reasons! I'm glad to see someone using it. I cannot wait to see what it will look like when you switch from Voxels, to polygons. Is this head intended to be used in a real-time environment? Or do you intend to use it as a demonstration of your anatomical knowledge? I have no suggestions as of yet... Your current sculpt (I am not experienced with 3d Coat) seems to show you know exactly where you're going. I definitely await more updates.

Also, props for using 3D Coat. As a user of their community forums stated "It's a hidden jewel".

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  7. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

This head will be used for games, so the retopology features will be very nice in creating a low poly count. I don't know where I'm going yet, so this is still very rough. I was originally making a kid (15 - 18), but the way this came out I don't know. 3D Coat is only of my favorite applications so far. It has a much better value than ZBrush or Mudbox and does more. Face modeling in it is also a snap, unlike in Maya. I still need to finish learning the interface and all that, but I can tell it's really a fantastic piece of software.

8. Farfarer

Farfarer

Reference!

Get lots of reference for your face, there are a lot of anatomical and proportional flaws with this that scream of it being sculpted from scratch without a knowledge of human anatomy.

9. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I was using a few references, but nothing more than an undersized picture of the musculature of the human face. I'll look at more.

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

If you can get your hands on some books as well, this is a great aid! I usually read the Color Atlas of Human Anatomy and look at Grey's Anatomy, you can find that on google..

11. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

You mean Gray's Anatomy. Do you know what Grey's Anatomy is? It's one of those TV shows that everybody knows about but you don't actually now anybody who watches it (probably because it's an awful show).

I'll pick up an anatomy book. It would be very helpful when it comes to organic modeling. I'll check out the two that you suggested.

12. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

qft

The trick with head modelling is never to increase the detail until you are absolutely forced to do so (if that makes sense).

identify the primary shapes that make a head.

13. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I'll keep that in mind. Most of the detail would be added through the normals, though. The mesh would be limited to maybe 1500 to 2000 polygons.

14. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Looking at reference of underlying muscle is not the way to start.

First do heads from photos or sketches. Understand the volumes in their visible form.

Then you will understand that some areas need further explanation, that is when the muscle pics will come in handy. You will be able to identify what is causing what and that will make your final sculpt better.

Doing it the other way round means you don't know what you are looking for.You are just building the muscles, but to what purpose? You are building the foundations, but for what building?

An architect first makes the plans and decides how something is going to look and then the engineers find a way to make it look that way, but when they start they have a goal (make it look like the sketch), they don't just start making a buidling from the foundations and stick the face on top, they build foundations and interior structures based on what the final outcome needs to be.

It's a back n forth process and since you will never have the muscles and the face to match it's even more difficult.